As much as the whole country is in a tremendous economic crisis, the shape of Illinois is worse. In fact, it is estimated that more than 2 million Illinois residents live below the poverty line. Due to high corporate taxes that have made the state less suitable for businesses to thrive, Illinois has also recorded a high unemployment rate compared to other states. This left many families struggling and not able to afford communication services. As a result, the government came in aid through the federal lifeline program. Lifeline is a federal communications commission program that helps to make communication services cheaper and affordable for qualified consumers.
Although lifeline services are available in nearly all states across America, Illinois has recorded dozens of lifeline companies that give free phones to qualified subscribers. Lifeline in Illinois is now offering free or cheap government phones to qualified users through these companies to decrease the abject poverty and break the digital gap. Therefore, you can get free government phones in Illinois alongside other benefits. As long as you meet eligibility requirements, you are good to go. The aim of this guide is to discuss more free government phones in Illinois and other related facets.
How Do You Get A Free Government Cell Phone In Illinois?
The process of getting free government cell phones in Illinois was never easy. However, the process is now straightforward with the new refinements in the federal communications commission. To get a free government cellphone in Illinois, you should confirm eligibility and proceed with the application. Note that there are several conditions to meet before applying for free government phone in Illinois.
Programs That Make You Eligible For A Lifeline Phone In Illinois
There are several government aid programs in the US that make you eligible for free lifeline phones in Illinois. If you participate in any of these programs and submit participation proof, your lifeline company will automatically approve your free cell phone request. Here are these programs:
- Medicaid : This is a government program meant to provide health coverage to low income consumers. Since it aims low income consumers, the program unquestionably makes you eligible for free lifeline phone in Illinois.
- Supplemental nutrition assistance program : Also known as SNAP, this program provides nutrition benefits to needy families. The fact that it benefits needy and struggling families makes you eligible for free lifeline phone in Illinois.
- Federal public housing assistance (section 8) : This is a federal government program that makes rental houses affordable for the elderly, disabled or needy families. As a consumer of this program, you are confirmed eligible for free government phone in Illinois.
- Supplemental security income : This is another government assistance program that makes you eligible for free cell phone in Illinois. The program’s aim is to provide monthly payments to needy consumers to afford their basic needs.
- Veteran’s pension and survivors benefit : This is a monetary program that offers monthly payments to low income spouses and unmarried children of a deceased wartime veterans. Consumers of this program are always considered vulnerable and fit to receive a free government phone in Illinois.
- Food distribution program on Indian reservations : Through this program, you are also eligible for a lifeline phone in Illinois. The program offers food help to low income tribal communities living in Indian reservations.
- Bureau of Indian affairs general assistance : This is a tribal land government assistance program that offers payments to poor Indians that are in need of shelter, food, clothing and other utility. Since this program provides financial help to needy Indians, its consumers are considered eligible for free lifeline phone in Illinois.
Other Programs That Make You Eligible For A Lifeline Phone In Illinois Are-
- Tribal head start
- Tribally administered temporary assistance for needy families.
- Temporary assistance for needy families
- Children’s health insurance program ( CHIP)
Income qualifications for a government phones in Illinois
If you are not a member of the above programs, you can also qualify for free government phone in Illinois based on your total household income. To be precise, the income qualifications of a government phone in Illinois is 135% of the federal poverty guideline. Note that poverty guidelines are regulated every year and vary with the number of people in your family. Below is the 2022 poverty guideline for Illinois.
- 1 household size annual income limit is $17,388
- 2 household sixe annual income limit is $23, 517
- 3 household size annual income limit is $29,646
- 4 household size annual income limit is $35, 775
- 5 household size annual income limit is $41,904
- 6 household size annual income limit is $48, 033
Apply for free government phones in Illinois
Once you meet any of the above requirements, time is now ripe for applying for free government phones in Illinois. Here is the application process:
1. Select your service provider
As stated earlier, free government phones in Illinois are channeled to qualified consumers through lifeline service providers. Therefore, the first step is to find your most suitable service provider. Since several companies have these services, choosing the best can be hectic. Luckily, we have identified the best companies to consider below on this page.
2. Fill an application form
From your selected service provider, visit their website and create an online account. Login to your account and apply for free government phones. Tap on the “apply” button to redirect you to an application form page. Fill out the form by providing correct personal details like your official name, date of birth, address, and the last number of your social security number.
3. Prove eligibility
Before submitting the form, you are required to attach documents to prove eligibility for free government phone in Illinois. The documents to attach are subject to eligibility. Some of the common documents required are; recent federal, state, or tribal tax return of the previous year, veteran’s pension grant, current Social Security statement of benefits, federal Pell grant letter, Tribal head start approval document, current check stubs, etc.
4. Wait for approval
After attaching eligibility proof, submit the form and wait for approval from the national lifeline verifier. Once approved, your company’s representative will communicate how to receive your free government phone. Please note: you can only get one free phone per household. Therefore, your application will be rejected if another member of your household already has a free government phone.
Cell Phone Provider That Offer Free Government Phones In Illinois
There are several companies that offer free government phones in Illinois. Since each of these companies operates on distinct policies and plans, you should carefully review their plans before selecting your preference. Here is a list of the most trustworthy companies in Illinois that provide fee government phones:
1. Life Wireless
Life Wireless is one of the best companies that offer free cell phones to eligible customers in Illinois. Through its lifeline plan, eligible customers are offered a free smartphone, free 500 monthly minutes, 4.5 GB monthly data, and unlimited texts. The plan also allows you to enjoy nationwide calling, call waiting, caller ID service, free 911, and three-way calling among other features. Besides, you are likely to get free phones like LG, Blu advance, Nokia, and Alcatel. To inquire more on free government phones available from life wireless, contact 312-814-2840 or mail-in:
- 527 East Capitol Avenue,
- Springfield IL 62701
2. Assurance Wireless
With Assurance Wireless, you can also get a free government phone in Illinois. This is through Assurance lifeline plan that provides low-income families with a free smartphone, free monthly data, text, call minutes, and 10 GB monthly hotspot data. From the company, you can get phones like ZTE Quest, Unimax U6383CL, and Wiko Life 2, among others. If you have any questions concerning Assurance Wireless free lifeline phones, contact its customer team on 1-888-321-5880.
3. Safelink Wireless
If you are an Illinois resident, you can also get a free smartphone from Safelink Wireless lifeline services. If you come from a low-income family or participate in any government assistance program, you can be lucky to get free phones like Samsung S425G, LG221c, and Samsung T330G. With Safe link lifeline plans, you also get a chance to enjoy unlimited calls, text, 25GB high-speed data, and up to 5G hotspot data. For any other inquiry, contact Safelink customer team on 1-800-378-1684.
4. American Assistance
American assistance is another reliable company that offers free lifeline phones to eligible Illinois consumers. The company offers free smartphones, free unlimited nationwide voice minutes, free 4.5 GB data, and unlimited text messages every month. Once approved for the American assistance lifeline, you can be lucky to get free phones like LG, Nokia, iPhone, Motorola, and Samsung Galaxy J3. To inquire more about American assistance free government phones in Illinois, contact 1-877-266-7212.
5. Terracom Wireless
Are you searching for the best lifeline company that offers free phones in Illinois? Terracom Wireless is your perfect solution. Eligible customers can get a free phone, texts, and minutes through its free lifeline plan with three-way calling, call forwarding, and voicemail features. To inquire about the available free phones from Terracom wireless, contact the support team on1-888-716-8880.
Which Free Phone Service Is Best In Illinois?
There are many free phone services in Illinois. However, assurance wireless is best as it offers the most generous lifeline plan. This plan provides unlimited data, text, calls, and 10 GB of hotspot data. Besides, the company offers a wide variety of free phones, nationwide network coverage, and good customer care services.