Since the internet has become a very prudent tool in this digital realm, disabled adults also need it to remain connected with those they love, manage their medications, know what is happening in their country and so much more. Although a good internet connection can enable the disabled veterans to enjoy the above-mentioned benefits, it comes with a cost.
Therefore, if you are a disabled veteran who is operating on a budget, chances are that you might not afford to pay for your internet bills as expected. Fortunately, you have no reason to worry because the government is now offering free internet for disabled veterans through Lifeline and ACP plan. Beyond these programs, you can apply for Veterans discount programs or look out for charity organizations that offer the much-needed financially assistance for disabled veterans. In this article, we shall demystify how you can get free internet for disabled veterans. Continue reading to know more!
Way to Get Free Internet for Disabled Veterans
1. Through Lifeline and ACP program
As we have mentioned, one way to enjoy free internet for disabled veterans is via the Lifeline and ACP program. Precisely, you will be able to enjoy internet discounts of up to $30 on a monthly basis if you live on Non-Tribal lands. However, if you live on Tribal lands, be sure that you will enjoy monthly internet discounts of up to $75.
With these discounts in place, you will be able to save more on your internet bill. Depending on your preferred or selected cell phone plan, you might end up paying nothing if your bill is $30 and below per month. As a result, such beneficiaries are said to enjoy free internet, thanks to the Lifeline and ACP program. Please note that there’re requirements that you must meet before receiving free internet offers from these programs. Continue reading this guide and know more about these requirements in a section below.
2. Through Veterans discount programs
Besides the Lifeline and ACP program, be sure that you will be able to enjoy free internet for disabled veterans via the Veterans discount programs or plans. In most cases, these discounts are offered by various carriers that operate in the United States. Here are some of the discounted plans that you can consider:
- Optimum Veterans Discounts: With as little as $14.99 per month, you will be able to enjoy 50Mbps internet plan devoid of any data caps. Although this internet plan is not free of charge per se, it is more affordable. However, to be able to enjoy this luxury, the veterans ought to be enjoying public assistance. As for seniors, they should qualify for the Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
- AT&T Military and Veterans plans: As the name suggests, this plan not only offers discounted internet to those who served in the military in the yester years but also the veterans living in the United States. Here, such individuals are able to enjoy a discount of up to $15 per month on a selected service plan. Besides enjoying affordable internet plans, veterans here stand the chance to enjoy a fast internet service. This means that they are about to get value for their hard-earned money in the long run.
- Xfinity discounts: When it comes to affordable internet plans, Xfinity tops the list. Here, if you are a disabled veteran who is operating on a budget but still want to enjoy a good internet service, consider choosing the lowest tier plan known as Xfinity Internet Essentials. This plan goes as low as $9.99 per month. Additionally, this carrier offers a one-time $25 voucher that can be applied to your phone bill and thus enable you save more dollars in the long run.
3. Through charity organizations that offer free internet for disabled veterans
The following are some of the charity organizations that offer free internet for disabled veterans:
- Coalition to Salute America’s Heroes: This is one of the reputable organizations that has continued to hand out millions of dollars to disabled American veterans who got injured after the 9/11 tragedy. Here, beneficiaries are able to enjoy financial aid that helps them to cater for their internet and phone service bills. Additionally, this aid helps in catering for rent, mortgage, and groceries among other critical expenses.
- Veterans of Foreign Wars: This program mainly offers financial aid grants of up to $1500 to veterans and those who were in active-duty in the military service so that they can cater for various expenses in their day-to-day life. If you have been struggling with paying your internet bill, you can use these grants to clear those bills and thus enjoy unlimited convenience.
- Operation First Response: If you are a disabled veterans who is grappling with internet bills, worry not as you can now get some financial aid from Operation First Response. Here, you will not only get financial aid to clear your internet bills but also use it to pay for essentials such as groceries, rent, travel expenses and so much more.
Steps to Apply for Free Internet for Disabled Veterans
The process of applying for free internet for disabled veterans is generally easy and straightforward. If you want to enjoy free internet via ACP, there are 3 main methods that can enable you get started. These include:
- Online method:
- Get your computer ready and then open your browser. Click: “affordableconnectivity.gov/how-to-apply” and then tap on the ‘Apply Now’ button.
- By clicking the ‘Apply Now’ button, you will be ushered to a different page that contains the online application form.
- Enter your details correctly and then attach copies of your personal and eligibility documents to the application form.
- Check and ensure that all the details are right and then submit your application for review.
- Mail method
- Suppose you please to apply for free internet for disabled veterans via this method, you ought to first click “affordableconnectivity.gov/wp-content/uploads/ACP-Application-Form-English.pdf” so that you can download the English version of the ACP form. After downloading this form, go ahead and print it.
- Optionally though it is recommended by USAC, download the Household Worksheet form by clicking “affordableconnectivity.gov/wp-content/uploads/lifeline/images/ACP-Household-Worksheet-English.pdf“. Once you download the Household Worksheet form, print it just like you did with the ACP form.
- Now that you have these two forms at hand, the next step is to fill them with your details.
- Gather hard copies of your personal and eligibility documents and then attach them to the application form.
- Check and confirm that every details is correct and then mail the package to the ACP Support Center using this address; PO Box 9100 Wilkes-Barre, PA 18773.
- via your selected Lifeline and ACP carrier: Apart from the methods that we have discussed above, you can now apply for free internet via your preferred Lifeline & ACP carrier. Some of the carriers that offer free internet via this program include Standup Wireless, MyEasy Wireless, Assist Wireless, EnTouch Wireless, among others. To apply:
- Visit your carrier’s official website and look for an application button. Thereafter, key in your ZIP code and then click ‘Get Started’ button.
- Choose the Lifeline and ACP plan and then tap on the ‘Apply Now’ button. This will redirect you to a page where you will find the actual application form.
- Enter your details as required and then attach copies of your personal and eligibility documents to the application form.
- Confirm that all the details and copies attached are correct and then submit your application for consideration.
Requirements to Submit Your Free Internet Application for Disabled Veterans
When submitting your free internet application for disabled veterans, there are several requirements that you must meet depending with your program or organization. To start with, you must ensure that you live in the United States. Below are other eligibility requirements to meet:
Eligibility to enjoy free internet for disabled veterans via Lifeline and ACP plan
To eligibility for free internet for disabled veterans via Lifeline & ACP plan, you should ensure that your household income stands at or is below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
Besides the low income criteria, you can qualify for free internet for disabled veterans if you are a beneficiary of a government assistance program. Some of the program include:
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
- Federal Public Housing Assistance(FPHA).
- You received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year and so on.
- You were approved for the Free and Reduced Price School Lunch Program or the School Breakfast Program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision.
Documents to attach to your free internet for disabled veterans application form
Having met the eligibility requirements mentioned above, time is ripe for you to gather documents that you can attach to the free internet for disabled veterans application form so that you can start the application process. Examples of documents required are:
- Identity documents:
- Birth Certificate
- U.S Driver’s license
- Utility bill
- Lease or mortgage statement
- Eligibility documents:
- Child support award
- Paycheck stub
- Your program’s Benefit award letter
- Your program’s approval letter
Are there Carriers that Offer Free Internet for Disabled Veterans
Yes. As we speak, we have a number of carriers that offer free internet for disabled veterans. Some of these carriers include:
- Verizon Wireless: This carrier mainly offers free internet to disabled veterans via its thoughtful program known as Veteran Discount Program. Here, if you are a beneficiary of this program, you stand the chance to enjoy impressive discounts. If you have one phone, you will enjoy discount of up to $10 on your account. In case you have 2-3 phones, trust that you will enjoy discounts of up to $25 per account. Finally, if you have more than 4 phones, you will enjoy discounts of up to $20 per account.
- T-Mobile: By considering this carrier’s Lifeline program, you will be able to enjoy 5GB of mobile data on a monthly basis, free of charge. Also, you stand the chance to get a free smartphone. However, you need to ensure that you meet this carrier’s Lifeline program eligibility requirements.
- AT&T: This carrier’s Access and ACP program allows disabled veterans to enjoy 5GB of mobile data per month. Moreover, they stand a chance to get a free smartphone. However, your annual household income has to stand at or be below $25000.
- Airtalk wireless, Cintex Wireless, NewPhone Wireless: These reliable carriers offer free internet to all eligible consumers, including disabled veteran, through lifeline and ACP plan. However, you must be a low income disabled adult or participate in government assistance programs before qualifying for free internet from these carriers. Basically, the carriers offer a monthly discount of up to $30 towards paying your internet bill through lifeline and ACP program. With this discount in place, you will be at a liberty to enjoy their internet services for free. To know more about their offers, kindly visit their official websites.
Besides Free Internet, Are there Other Offers that Disabled Veterans can get?
Apart from free internet, you are bound to enjoy other offers a disabled veterans. For instance, if you apply for free internet via the Lifeline & ACP program and qualify for it, you are bound to get a free smartphone, discounted tablet or laptop, and other incredible offers such as: Unlimited talk, Unlimited text and picture messaging, Caller ID, 3-Way calling, Voicemail services. Call waiting, free shipping services and so forth.
How long will it take for me to start enjoying free internet for disabled veterans?
Well, it depends on the option you chose to apply the free internet through. For instance, if you applied for free internet for disabled veterans via a Federal program such as Lifeline & ACP plan, you will be able to enjoy it after 7 to 10 business days.
Are there extra bills that come with free internet for disabled veterans?
Not really. You will not be subjected to any additional bills for you to enjoy free internet for disabled veterans. You will only need to pay an extra bill if you want a discounted tablet or laptop. As such, you will have to pay at least $10 for you to get any of these devices.
Can other family members of the disabled veterans be eligible for free internet as well?
No. Only one person per household can be eligible for free internet at a time.
How many days can I use the internet for free?
Well, this will depend on your internet usage. If you are heavy user, the internet package assigned to you will only last a few days. However, if you are moderate enough, the internet package can last you for several days or even weeks.
How to know the free internet speed?
To test the speed of your free internet, consider using renowned speed test services such as CloudFlare, Fast.com or Speedtest.net. You can also contact your Lifeline and ACP carrier’s customer support team and make enquiries as well. This way, you will know your free internet speed easily.