A router is a networking equipment designed to transmit information between computer networks and other devices through internet connection. You can connect your landline phone with the wifi router, which would send your voice signal from the phone into a digital signal able to travel through the World Wide Web.
The process of plugging your landline phone into a router is quick and simple. Using a standard phone cable you simply plug the modem into the phone jack. The process of transmitting wireless signals should start automatically and instantly. As the routers come with Ethernet ports you can hard-wire your computer if you wish to do so.
How Does A Landline Phone Jack Work
A landline phone jack and a phone plug are electrical connectors designed to connect a landline phone (or another telecommunication device) to the telephone wiring located inside a building. This establishes a connection between the device and a telephone network. The plug is inserted in the jack (its counterpart), which tends to be attached to a wall or a baseboard.
How Do I Connect My Landline Phone To My WiFi Router
When you connect your landline phone to your router the voice signals from your landline phone travel to the router. There these signals are converted into digital signals, which travel over the internet. If you have high-speed internet or DSL connection, you can connect your landline to your router in a few simple steps. Below you will see the exact process of how to connect a landline phone to a WiFi router.
- Step 1: Power off the router. Do this before unplugging any wires, as it could make it harder for you to recognize the ports.
- Step 2: Take an Ethernet wire. It comes with a landline phone or you can buy it separately. Connect this wire to the ports, which are positioned on the backside of the router on one end and on the other end, connect it to the right port in the cable modem.
- Step 3: Take another Ethernet wire and plug it into the LAN port at the back of your router. Plug the other end of the wire into the Ethernet outlet on your computer.
- Step 4: Use a cable from your analog home phone and connect the phone with a router. The phone adapter port is positioned at the back of the device and it may be labeled ‘Phone 1’. This step connects your landline with your Wi-Fi.
- Step 5: Once the landline and router are connected, you can turn on both the modem and the computer. Wait for the indicator lights to stop blinking, as this means the connection is stable.
- Step 6: As soon as the modem stabilizes, you can connect the router to an outlet. Turn the router on and wait for it to stabilize (the lights will stop blinking).
- Step 7: At this point, you can test your landline.
Nowadays lots of internet providers offer a device designed for high-speed internet that works both as a router and a modem. The process of connecting your landline phone line with such an advanced device is slightly different than described above.
- Step 1: Before connecting any two devices, make sure to turn them off for safety reasons.
- Step 2: Take your 2 in 1 router/modem device and find the phone port at the back.
- Step 3: Take an Ethernet cable. Plug one end of the cable in the port of your 2 in 1 router/modem device and connect it to the back of your phone on the other end.
- Step 4: Once your phone is connected to your modem/router turn the modem/router on. As soon as your indicator lights become stable, you can use your phone.
- Step 5: Now, you can test your phone and landline.
How Do I Connect My Landline Phone To My Modem
Connecting your landline phone to your modem is a quick and simple process. To do so you can simply plug the phone’s network cable into the modem. But before you do so, you must check what kind of modem you have, as the exact connection process depends on the type of modem. The safest bet is to read the modem’s installation manual.
1. How to connect my landline to my KPN modem (Experia Box)
If you have a KPN modem with a connection box with a green port and a phone cable featuring a green connector, then follow the steps below. If you have a fixed phone connector, it’s better to contact your provider and ask them to help you with the setup.
- Step 1: Make sure your modem is connected to the internet.
- Step 2: Take the phone cable with the green connector and plug one end into the first green port on the modem and the other end into the base station.
- Step 3: Make sure you hear a dial tone. Dial a 10-digit number.
- Step 4: If you have dialed successfully, your phone and modem are connected.
2. How to connect my landline to my Ziggo modem
If you have a Ziggo modem with a phone cable, follow the steps below.
- Step 1: Take the phone cable and plug one end into the TEL 1 port in the modem and the other end into the base station.
- Step 2: Wait until the green light at the TEL 1 port turns on.
- Step 3: Make sure you hear a dial tone. If you do, the setup was successful.
- Step 4: In case you don’t hear a dial tone, try unplugging the phone cable and plug it into the modem and the base station once again.
- Step 5: Repeat steps 2 and 3.
How Do I Connect A Phone Jack To The Internet
To connect a phone jack to the internet, simply follow the easy steps below.
- Step 1: Choose a location for the new phone jack and measure the amount of wire you need accordingly.
- Step 2: Choose a new jack and attach it to the chosen location.
- Step 3: Connect the telephone wire to the old phone jack.
- Step 4: Install the wire from the old to the new phone jack and plug the phone wire into the new jack.
- Finish installing the new jack.
What To Consider Before Connect Your Landline Phone To Your WiFi Router
Before you connect a landline phone to your WiFi router make sure to consider some of the most important factors, which affect how the phone will connect to the internet.
Your landline phone cannot be connected to your Wi-Fi router wirelessly. Instead, you have to connect the two devices with a physical connection.
Wi-Fi routers can connect to the internet with a DSL (for example, AT&T offers a DSL network) or a cable connection (for example, Cox). Fiber connections are becoming increasingly popular, but as the infrastructure setup is rather expensive, the transition is slow.
All of these services offer a Voice over IP (VOIP) landline phone.
This is a very important consideration, as your landline quality fully depends on it. If you have a high-speed internet connection you will experience perfectly clear voice and zero dropped calls. Generally, cable connections provide a higher internet speed (around 30 Mbps) than DSL connections, which can reach up to 940 Mbps. Spectrum, for example, offers network speeds of 100 Mbps, 200 Mbps, 400 Mbps, and 940 Mbps. The network speed also depends on your location, network traffic, etc.
Nowadays, there are many different Wi-Fi standards available, including 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11n. They can transfer data at different speeds and rates. For example, the most advanced standard – 802.11n can transfer data at speeds up to 940 Mbps. If your connection has a high download speed but the router doesn’t have the highest standard, you may get a slower internet connection and a distorted voice quality.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can I unplug my modem and move it?
Yes, you can unplug your modem and move it, but only if the coax lines are connected to your service and if the line is active.
Can I get Wi-Fi without a phone jack?
Yes, you can get Wi-Fi without a phone jack, as having internet service doesn’t require you to have a phone line. Most cable companies provide internet service by plugging the coaxial cable line into a cable modem, which can transform cable signal into Ethernet signal.
What type of connector is used to plug a telephone line into a modem?
To connect an ADSL modem to a landline phone socket you will need phone cables (or modem cables). These kinds of cables have two connectors. One is an RJ11 – it connects the phone to the modem. This is connected to the BT phone socket using a BT413A plug.
Can you run the Internet through a phone line?
Yes, you can. DSL connection uses the same wires as a regular phone line and doesn’t require new wiring. If you leave the internet connection open, you can continue to use the phone line for voice calls.
What cable do I need to connect the landline phone line to WiFi router?
Use a phone cable to connect landline phone line to WiFi router. To get the best connection, make sure the router is positioned close to the main phone socket. Before you connect your router attach a microfilter to the phone line.
Will any router work with any modem?
It depends on your internet service provider. You might need to get a router, both a router and a modem, or a router with a built-in modem (router-modem). To know for sure, it’s best to ask your internet service provider – some may require you to use a proprietary modem.
Do I need both a modem and a router?
In most cases, you do need both a modem and a router, as the router is the Wi-Fi point and the modem is what enables a router to function properly. Therefore, both devices must be connected with an Ethernet cable. As we have mentioned before, you can also get a router-modem – a practical two-in-one device. However, some apartment buildings do not require the use of modems for broadband connections.
Do modems give off Wi-Fi?
Modems provide internet access, while routers broadcast a Wi-Fi signal and allow the devices to connect to the internet and each other. After the devices send our internet signal, a Wi-Fi-enabled device can pick it up and use it for establishing an internet connection.