Gone and never to come are those days when internet services used to be a preserve of the rich. Nowadays, every American needs to be connected to the internet so that he can work online, learn online, do business online, access emergency healthcare services, and so forth. When it comes to internet connectivity, a number of rural areas do not enjoy the luxury of having these services. After all, fiber or cable internet options are yet to reach some of those areas. If you live in such an area, you might be stuck with a connection of between 25 and 40 Mbps via DLS or any other related service.
Thankfully, Starlink internet has become a lifesaver for those residents who live in rural areas within the US. Unlike other conventional internet connectivity options, this one relies on Satellites and is operated by SpaceX. With internet speeds of 150 Mbps and simple installation service, you can be sure that you will be able to take your tech-savvy lifestyle from the city into the upcountry. Since most people would like to know the cost of installing Starlink internet, we shall take a closer look at that, alongside other related facets.
How Much Does Starlink Kit Cost?
If you want to install Starlink internet in your home, brace yourself to spend about $599.00 to $2500.00 one-time equipment fee. This is actually the cost that you will incur if you choose to install this internet service on your own. However, the amount that you will spend to install Starlink internet, will depend on the package that you want to enjoy. Compared to signing a rental agreement with a cable company, this option can be quite expensive as you will have to pay for the Starlink hardware upfront.
However, once you make this payment, you will not have to pay any other recurring fees. It is imperative to note that the service can cost about $110 or more per month depending on the package that you want to enjoy. Thankfully, you will not be tied to a contract. Therefore, you can either choose to be loyal customer or just opt out anytime you want.
When it comes to the Starlink kit, it is important to note that it comes with a number of components. Some of these items include:
- One Starlink dish
- A Wi-Fi router base unit
- A dish mount
- A cable that is about 75 foot long
- A power cable for the base unit
Besides these components, here are other additional accessories that come with this kit:
- Adapters for connecting other devices over the standard Ethernet
- Additional mounting hardware
- Extra longer cables
Is Starlink Available In All States In The USA?
Not really. In fact, Starlink provides its services in 36 countries of the United States. Since it is able to serve about 400000 customers, Starlink is the 3rd largest satellite internet providers in America.
To put this into perspective, Starlink is available in many states that are located in North America and a number of other areas within the United States. Although this service is not available in all states in the US, there are plans to increase its coverage in nearly all the states. Therefore, its coverage is expanding by the day.
Does Starlink Have A Coverage Map?
Yes. You just need to visit starlink.com and then key in your address. Thereafter, tap on the ‘Check availability’ button. Starlink on the other hand will let you let you know if this service is available in your locality.
Besides this, it will show you when you can expect this service to arrive in your locality. Like we mentioned above, this service is available is about 36 states of the US. Some of the states where you can enjoy this service include:Arizona,California,Arkansas,Colorado,Alabama,Connecticut,Delaware,Florida,Georgia,District of Columbia, Illinois, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Mississipi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New Jersey, North Carolina, New York, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Ohio, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, among others.
How Do I Order Starlink Internet
If you want to get the Starlink internet, consider visiting Starlink’s official website by clicking starlink.com and then key in your service address on the empty field that you will see on your screen.
Thereafter, tap on the ‘Order Now’ button. In case your locality is covered by this internet service provider, be sure that you will be able to get your Starlink Kit shipped to you within a period of 2 weeks.
In case Starlink has not covered your area yet, you can still place an order and be good to go. To secure a safe spot on the waitlist, there is a need for you to pay a deposit of about $99 to $500 depending on the kind of Starlink service you want to enjoy. Thankfully, you have the luxury to enjoy Starlink RV internet, Starlink Business or Standard Starlink service.
How Do I Set Up / Install Starlink
Once you receive the Starlink kit box, the next step is to unpack it so that you can assemble some components and mount others. Here are the steps that can help you get started:
- Unplug the connection cable from the dish. After all, the dish usually comes when it is already plugged in. Here, you will be needed to unplug it so that the dish mast can seat into the mounting base.
- Once you unplug the connection cable, fit the dish mast into the mounting base. As you do this, ensure that you line up the groove on the mast with the right rail inside the mount.
- Thereafter, plug in the connector cable with the correct plug connector. Typically, this cable is 75 foot long. Since the connectors at the end of the cable are different, be sure that you will not have a difficult time establishing the correct end. For optimal results, ensure that the cable connector is inserted far enough. Ideally, you should be able to hear a distinct click when the plug seats well into the pocket.
- After this, look out for a good position to position the dish. Thankfully, the fish come when it is already assembled. To determine this, consider downloading the Starlink app on your phone. This app will help you establish the correct position to mount and position your dish. For optimal results, ensure that you mount your dish in a free space where it will have an unobstructed view of the sky.
- Nothing should be above or around the dish. An unobstructed view of the sky is vital as the dish’s orientation is not fixed per se. After all, the dish has a motor that keeps on readjusting so as to maintain a connection with a passing satellite. Some good places to mount your dish can be on a rooftop or an open field. Better still, you can mount the dish on a pole that is devoid of obstructions such as trees, buildings or even fences.
- Using the Starlink app, use the phone’s camera to scan the viewing area of the dish. Here, you will have to point the camera up in the key and then view your phone’s screen. You can move the camera so that you can have a better view. In fact, you can lay on the ground and then look up at your phone as you scan the viewing area of the dish.
- As you scan the viewing area, you will see some green dots on your screen. These shows the unscanned areas within the dish’s field of view. Besides this, you will see an arrow that indicators that areas that should be scanned next. This app, will let you know the kind of reception that your dish will get from a particular position.
- Once you scan the best position to mount your dish, time is ripe for you to mount your dish. Thankfully, the mounting base of the dish comes with holes that can help you mount the dish into place. Since the Starlink does not come with a screws, consider buying some for this purpose. Within a few minutes, you should be able to mount the dish on any surface you please.
- After mounting the dish, run the cable to the Wi-Fi router. As far as this process is concerned, you can lead the cable via open window or even drill a hole through an exterior wall. Once the cable has reached your house, plug it into your router.
- Plug in the power cable of the router so that you can power both the dish and router. Once these components are connected to a power supply, go to the Starlink app and then check the status of your network connection.
- Typically, the dish takes time to establish the much-needed connection to the satellites above in the sky. Therefore, you should be patient. However, once the dish established a connection, the app will inform that you are online and will prompt you to set up vital Wi-Fi network details such as its name and password. Set up these details as required and you will be good to go.
How Much Will Starlink In A Month?
Starlink basically offers its satellite internet in 3 packages to its users. Depending on your budget and needs choose the right package for you and get started. Here is a breakdown of these packages so that you can know them better:
|Plan Name||Price||Equipment fee||Internet speeds|
|Starlink Internet||$110.00 per month||$599.00||50-250 Mbps|
|Starlink Business||$500.00 per month||$2500.00||150-500 Mbps|
|Starlink RV||$135.00 per month||$599.00||50-250 Mbps|
Is Starlink Unlimited Data?
Yes. Thankfully, SpaceX is yet to impose any data caps on any package that you choose to enjoy. However, the internet speeds vary depending on the package one choose to settle for. For instance, if you want fast internet speeds, consider going for the Starlink business. On the other hand, brace yourself to part with at least $500 per month.
Is Starlink Faster Than Fiber?
Not really, Fiber has faster internet speeds than Starlink. This is because Fiber optics is able to deliver a consistent internet speed of up to 100 Gbps. This makes Starlink relatively slower as its internet speeds can go up to 500Mbps only. On the other hand, Starlink internet will not replace cable internet. Ideally, Starlink internet will only supplement it and not replace it per se.
Is Starlink Faster Than 5G?
As we speak, Starlink tends to be faster than 5G. However, it is expected that 5G will have better internet speeds in the near future.
How Many Devices Can Starlink Router Handle?
To start with, Starlink has no definite limit of the number of device one can use. Therefore, the limit here will be based on what your hardware can handle. Typically, the number of devices that a Starlink router can handle is 128 or thereabout.
Can I Take My Starlink Camping?
Yes.You can now utilize Starlink whenever you are camping. However, brace yourself for inconsistent access speeds.
Can I Stream Netflix On Starlink?
Yes. With internet download speeds of up to 105Mbps, be sure that you ca now stream Netflix and have unlimited fun. Better still, you can stream Disney+ in 4k.
Can I Use Starlink To Watch TV?
Yes.You can now ditch the cable and be streaming TV using popular streaming devices such as Google TV, Roku, Firestick TV among others. However, your internet speeds have to be fast enough so that you can enjoy a good picture quality. In case your internet speeds are low, you might experience unprecedented lagging and low picture quality.
Can I Use Starlink RV At My House?
Yes. It is now possible for you to use the Starlink RV in your house. As long as Starlink is available in your locality or region, be certain that you will be good to go.
How Long Is The Starlink Waiting List?
Well, once your details feature on the Starlink waiting list, be sure that you will receive the Starlink Kit after a period of 2 to 8 weeks. However, if you reside in an area that is not yet covered by Starlink services, you might have to wait a little bit longer.
Can I Sell My Starlink Dish?
Yes. As we speak, you can now go ahead and sell your Starlink dish to anyone who is within an area where this internet service provider operates.
Can I Return Starlink Equipment?
Yes. It is possible for you to return your Starlink equipment as long as it is not damaged within a period of 30 days from the day you received it. For instance, if your equipment has field of view issues, be sure that you can return it and get a full refund. More importantly, ensure that you return the equipment alongside all the accessories that it came with so that you can get your refund in full.
Does Snow Interfere With Starlink?
Not really. This is because Starlink dishes usually come with a unique technology that is able to detect the snow on the dish. Once it detects that there is some snow, it heats it up, thereby melting it right away. Eventually the snow will slide off the dish. However, if there is a heavy buildup of snow around the dish, the view of sky might be obstructed. Consequently, you might end up experiencing connection related issues.
What Happens If My Starlink Is Stolen?
If your Starlink Kit is stolen, there is a need for you to notify the Starlink customer support team immediately. This way, you will not incur any extra charges for any unauthorized use of the Starlink services.
Can I Cancel Starlink Anytime?
Yes. It is possible for you to cancel your Starlink internet account anytime you please. Thankfully, you will not be charged any hidden or early termination fees .After all, Starlink packages do not come with a contract.