If you are in need of a free iPhone from the government, the good news is that you can get one through a very easy process. In fight against digital divide, the government initiated Affordable Connectivity Program, which now offers free iPhones and other connectivity devices through eligible carriers.
As we have stated, there are carriers that now offer free iPhones from the government. However, these carriers are limited and offer free government iPhones only to selected states. Another fact about free iPhone from the government is that these phones are not given to every citizen. To acquire them, there are a number of eligibility requirements to meet based on your state and service provider. (We shall discuss these requirements below in this guide). In addition, the government does not offer high-end models of iPhones for free. When acquiring a free iPhone from the government, expect to acquire mid-range iPhones like iPhone SE, iPhone 6, iPhone 7, iPhone 8, and so on. Follow this guide closely to learn more about free iPhone from the government.
Best Ways to Get a Free iPhone from Government Near You 2023
If you want to get a free iPhone from the government near you, there are more than one options to use. One of the most reliable options is to visit the Affordable connectivity program official website and fill a free phone enrolment form.
Another option to get a free iPhone from the government is fill an enrollment form and mail it to ACP center. Finally, you can also get a free iPhone form the government near you through carriers that offer free phones as a part of their ACP offerings. You can identify carriers near you through visiting the ACP official website “https://www.fcc.gov/affordable-connectivity-program-providers”, click on “companies near me tool” then provide your ZIP code.
I am Eligible for Lifeline Program; Can I get Free iPhone from the Government?
Lifeline program is a federal program in the United States that discounts monthly phone plans or internet service to eligible low-income households. However, the program does not offer free phones, including iPhones, and smartphones, as part of the benefit. The program’s purpose is to make essential communication services more affordable for low-income households, but the cost of the phone itself is not covered. But you can apply for ACP enrollment if eligible for Lifeline Program.
On the other hand, the Affordable Connectivity Program is a new program announced by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in 2021. The program aims to help households struggling to afford internet service during the COVID-19 pandemic. Under this program, eligible households can receive a discount of up to $30 per month on internet service, and in some cases, they may also receive a device such as a tablet or a hotspot.
Some wireless providers, including SFone Wireless, Cintex Wireless, AirTalk Wireless, and NewPhone Wireless, participate in the Affordable Connectivity Program and may offer free or discounted devices like smartphones. Still, it’s important to note that not all providers offer this benefit. Additionally, the type of device offered can vary among participating providers, States and it may not always be an iPhone.
Types of free iPhone Government Phone Programs are available in 2023
As aforementioned, the government offers free iPhones through Affordable Connectivity Program. These FCC programs offer free or discounted benefits to all qualified households through selected carriers. Some of the carriers that offer free iPhone from the government are AirTalk wireless, Cintex Wireless, SFone Wireless and NewPhone wireless. From these carriers, you can find free iPhone like:
- Apple iPhone 6
- Apple iPhone 6s
- Apple iPhone 6s
- Apple iPhone SE
- Apple iPhone 7
- Apple iPhone 7 plus
- Apple iPhone 8
Eligibility and Required Documents for Free iPhone Government Phone Program
To get a free iPhone from the government, there is a procedure to follow. The first step, you should establish eligibility. This is through meeting the ACP eligibility requirements. After establishing eligibility, you should also attach eligibility documents showing proof that you qualify for a free government iPhone. In a section below, we shall discuss ACP eligibility requirements and the documents required to apply for free iPhone from the government:
Eligibility Requirements for Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP)
To qualify for ACP, you should meet the following criteria:
- You should come from a low income household, whose income is at or below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines
- You should participate in government’s federal or tribal programs like: Tribal Head Start, Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance, Medicaid, Federal Public Housing Assistance, Supplemental Security Income or the Veterans Pensions and Survivors Benefit
- If you have received a Pell grant in the current academic year.
Required Documents for affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) When Applying
Once you meet the above requirements, you should attach the following documents:
- U.S. driver’s license (It should not be expired)
- Birth certificate
- Government-issued, state, military or Permanent resident card or Green card
- U.S citizenship or naturalization
- Mortgage or lease statement
- Recent W-2 or tax return
- Utility bill
- Divorce decree
- Paycheck stub
- Your current income statement from your employer
- Tribal or Federal notice letter of participation in General Assistance
- A copy of your Veterans administration statement of benefits
- Medicaid statement of benefits
- SSI benefit verification letter
- SNAP benefit award letter
Application Process for Getting a Free iPhone from Government
When applying for lifeline and ACP, you can opt to send your application online or apply through mail. Here’s how to get started:
To apply for ACP online, follow these steps:
- On your browser, open this link: “https://www.affordableconnectivity.gov/how-to-apply/”
- Once you open the page, tap on “apply now”
- You will be redirected to the national verifier application page
- On the page, fill the form by providing personal information like legal name, social security number, home address, and contacts. .
- After filing all the required information, attach your eligibility documents and submit the form
- Get approval after from the national verifier
- After approval, open this link “https://www.fcc.gov/affordable-connectivity-program-providers” and select a service provider that offers free IPhone near you
- Contact your selected provider and request for a free IPhone from the government.
ACP mail application
Open ACP mail download page through this link “affordableconnectivity.gov/wp-content/uploads/ACP-Application-Form-English.pdf”. Download ACP application form, print and fill it. In addition, ensure to download your household worksheet from “https://affordableconnectivity.gov/wp-content/uploads/lifeline/images/ACP-Household-Worksheet-English.pdf”. Afterwards, attach all the required documents and send them to this address:
ACP support center
P.O Box 7081
London, KY 40742
Some Reasons for Disqualifying for the ACP Program
After summiting your ACP application form, you will either be approved or rejected for the programs. Here are some reasons why you might be disqualified for ACP program:
- You will be rejected for ACP if your income is above 200% of the federal poverty guideline
- You will be disqualified for both programs if another member of your household is already benefiting from the programs
- You will be disqualified for both programs if you are a minor below 18 years of age.
- You will be disqualified for both programs if your application information or attached documents are invalid.
Providers That Offer free iPhones From the Government
Several service providers offer free phones to the government. However, as we stated earlier, only a few providers offer iPhone for free from the government. In this section, we shall discuss four providers that assure free iPhones to their customers.
Sfone wireless is an incredible wireless service provider that has successfully built its reputation thus considered one of the best ACP providers that we have in the country. As long as you meet ACP eligibility criteria, this carrier will offer you a free iPhone through a very concise process. However, make sure you reside in Maine, Maryland, Rhode Island, West Virginia, and Arkansas to get a free iPhone from this carrier.
From SFone, you will get free iPhone models like Apple iPhone 6 (CDMA OR GSM) and Apple iPhone 6s GSM. To apply, open the link and follow prompt: “https://apply.sfonewireless.com/broadband”
This is another incredible carrier that offers only iPhone 7 to eligible Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP), but you have to pay $49.99. Cintex offers free own-brand Cintex smartphones and 4G LTE Flip Phones. The carrier offers these services in several states, including Maryland, Georgia, Maine, West Virginia, and Rhode Island. To apply for a free iPhone from this carrier, visit its official website through this link and tap “apply now” “apply.cintexwireless.com”.
If you reside in states like California, Michigan, Ohio, New York, Mississippi, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Wisconsin, you can also get a free government iPhone easily. However, you need to meet either: income or program eligibility criteria. From AirTalk wireless, you will get free phones like Apple iPhone 8, Apple iPhone 7, 7 plus, Apple iPhone 6, 6 plus, 6s and apple iPhone SE. To apply, open this link and follow prompts “https://airtalkwireless.com/”
This is another reliable ACP service provider that offers free iPhone in states like Maine, Minnesota, Idaho, Nevada and Louisiana. Similar to other carriers above, this carriers require you to meet ACP income or program eligibility criteria before getting your free iPhone. From the company, you can get free iPhone like: iPhone 6, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6plus and iPhone SE. To apply for these iPhone, visit and tap “apply now” “https://newphone.com/apply”
Other Services That are Included with a Free Government iPhone
Apart from the free government iPhones, there are other benefits that you can get from ACP program. When it comes to ACP, the program offers a monthly discount of up to $30 for federal households and up to $75 for qualified households on tribal land. With these discounts, you will enjoy benefits like: free phone, unlimited text, calls, free data and free hotspot services.
With ACP program, you will also enjoy a discount of up to $100 to purchase connectivity devices like laptops and tablets.
From ACP, you will also enjoy free caller ID, call waiting, 3-Way calling and voicemail, WIFI calling and free shipping services.
Government Phone Providers that Offer Free Government Smartphones
Do you prefer an android phone to iPhone? Worry not because there are other numerous carriers that offer free android smartphones to eligible ACP households. Below is a list of the most trusted carriers to consider and their expected phones.
- Easy wireless. From this carrier, you can get phone models like: Motorola mot G power, LG Stylo 4, Samsung galaxy A20s, Motorola Moto G-power, and Motorola E5.
- Assurance wireless: The carrier offers several types of phones for free. Here is an example: Nuu mobile A5L, ZTE Quet, Unimax U6383CL, Samsung galaxy A20s, LG M150
- Assist wireless: Assist wireless offers these types of phones for free: Motorola Moto G Stylus, Motorola Moto G7 power, Samsung galaxy A20 s, Samsung Galaxy A21.
- Access wireless: Through access wireless, you can get the following phones for free: Samsung galaxy S6 edge plus, Nuu mobile A5L, Samsung galaxy S7, tracfone galaxy J3, LG K30, Alcatel snap flip
- Qlink wireless: This carrier offers these types of phones for free: Blu advance, Alcatel GO Flip 3, Alcatel Go flip 4, Samsung galaxy S8 plus, Samsung galaxy S7
- Safelink Wireless: Here are examples of free phones from this carrier: Nuu mobile A5L, LG Stylo 4, Samsung galaxy A10, Alcatel Go Flip 4, Alcatel dawn
- Tracfone wireless: The carrier offers these phones for free: Samsung galaxy A01, Samsung galaxy A21, Motorola G-power, Samsung galaxy S8
Alternatives to Free iPhones Raher Government
If you need a free iPhone but got disqualified from government programs, here are other reliable alternatives that could give you a free iPhone. Try them out:
- You can get a free iPhone from carriers like T-Mobile and Verizon when you switch. This is through various deals for new customers.
- You might get a free iPhone from apple stores if you are one of their employees.
- You might get a free iPhone as a market agent. For instance, if you are an influencer or any other user with many social media followers, you can be given a free IPhone in exchange for online promotions.
- You can get a free iPhone by participating in various giveaway contests.
- You can also get a free iPhone after doing honest product reviews on Amazon through Amazon Vine.
Tips on Avoiding Scams and Fraudulent Schemes Related to Free iPhones from Government
When applying for free iPhones from the government via ACP programs, you should follow these tips to steer clear of fraudsters and scammers:
- Enrolling in ACP programs is free; therefore, never agree to pay when signing for these programs.
- Never give out delicate personal or financial information when applying
- Always apply for a free government iPhone through your carrier’s website or ACP official websites, or other verified channels only
- If you come across any person asking you to pay for a free phone application, report it immediately.
Frequently Ask Questions
How long does it take to receive a free iPhone from the government?
As soon as you get approved for free iPhone from the government, your respective carrier will start shipping the phone to your address. This might take 3 to 10 business days or even more, depending with the distance of your address.
Can I upgrade my free government iPhone?
Yes. Most providers will allow you to upgrade your free government iPhone to your preferred phone through a very easy process. However, you will be required to cater for the cost of your new upgraded phone .
Are there any drawbacks to the Free Government iPhone program data plan?
While the program provides a certain amount of data each month, there may be limitations on how much data users can consume. You can discuss the data usage and limitations of different providers and plans before enrolling.
Is it really possible to get a free iPhone from the government?
Yes, it is very possible to get a free iPhone from the government. Through carriers like Cintex wireless, AirTalk wireless and more, you will get a free government iPhone once you meet ACP eligibility requirements.
Can I choose the type of iPhone I get from the government?
Not really. When applying for free iPhone from the government, you are not allowed to choose your preferred phone. Instead, your carrier will send you any type of iPhone, based on availability at your time of application.
Is there any cost involved in getting a free government phone?
Not really. The process of applying for a government phone is completely free. All you need to do is meet ACP eligibility requirements and you will get your phone free of charge.
How do I know if a free government phone program is legitimate?
Legitimate free government phone programs require you to fill an application form to access your benefits. In addition, legitimate free phone programs will not ask for any fees while applying.
Can I get a free government iPhone if I already have an iPhone?
Yes. As long as you meet ACP edibility requirements, you will be good to go. However, if your former iPhone was received for free from the government, you won’t be approved to get another iPhone.
Can I keep my phone number if I switch to a free government iPhone?
Yes. All you need to do is make sure that your number is eligible to be switched over. Also, make sure that you don’t cancel your service with your former carrier before switching your number.
Are there any taxes or fees associated with a free government phone plan?
Yes, free government phone plans are usually catered for through tax on monthly basis on your phone. This is commonly known as the universal service tax.
Can I use a free government iPhone outside of the United States?
It depends with your service provider. Some carriers offer free international calling services while other carriers don’t offer such services.
Can I transfer my free government iPhone to someone else?
No. According to the FCC rules and guidelines, lifeline/ACP benefits are not transferrable.
Can I enroll in more than one free government phone program at the same time?
Yes. For example, you can enroll for ACP and lifeline programs at the same time. In fact, combining these two programs comes with a number of valuable benefits. As long as you meet the eligibility requirements for both programs, you will be good to go.
What should I do if I struggle to apply for the free iPhone program?
You should contact your selected service provider for help. Besides, you can contact the Affordable Connectivity Program support center for help. This is through the number (800)234-9473.