The demand for internet has been on the rise in the recent past. This can be attributed to the proliferation of modern tech devices that have made life easier and more convenient. When it comes to the internet, satellite internet never disappoints. To start with, this type of internet connection uses both a mini satellite dish and a modem. Here, an internet signal is usually sent to a gateway and then beamed to a satellite. Once this is done, the satellite beams the signal to your mini-dish and is finally transferred to the router, and finally to your laptop or mobile phone.
Unlike the internet provided by different carriers, this one is more reliable and can be ideal for those living in rural areas. Besides this, satellite internet is quite fast. These aspects have made many people prefer satellite internet than other types of internet connection. Although there are many service providers who offer satellite internet, DirecTV will not disappoint you as it offers value for money.
Are you wondering what DirecTV can offer you? On our page today, we are expounding that for you. We will highlight its plans, benefits as well as shortcomings so that you can know it better. Therefore, read to the end.
Does DIRECTV Have Internet?
No. You will realize that DirecTV does not have internet. Instead, it can only be bundled with other internet service providers as it is just a satellite TV service provider. As we speak, DIRECTV service can now be bundled with AT&T internet. However, AT&T must be offering its services in your locality. If you are able to bundle DirecTV with AT&T internet service, you stand a chance to save $10 monthly.
What is being in a region with no AT&T services? Worry less. This is because DirecTV also offers bundling with other providers like Hughes Net, Verizon, and CenturyLink.
DirecTV High-Speed Internet
Like we mentioned above, DirecTV offers its high-speed internet service through a satellite. A satellite internet company known as Wild Blue is the one that powers DirecTV’s satellite internet service. This internet service is ideal for those who live in rural areas where DSL or cable internet is not easy to access. As a result, people who live in the rural areas are able to remain connected for longer.
As far as partnerships are concerned, this service provider has partnered with cable internet providers such as AT&T and Qwest. It is important to note that these partnerships are usually offered at a discounted price whenever they are bundled with DirecTV television services. However, the services and prices charged usually differ from one area to another.
As far as availability is concerned, one can now enjoy the services of this provider from nearly any location that has clear skies. However, it is not available in Puerto Rico, Hawaii, and Alaska.
When it comes to internet speeds, DIRECTV internet does not disappoint. You will realize that it offers 3 different download speeds. They include:
- 516 Kbps
- 1 Mbps
- 1.5 Mbps
If you choose a package that offers 1.5 Mbps, you will enjoy fast internet speeds. In fact, it is 30 times faster than dial-up internet. In addition, DirecTV satellite highest speed internet is 5 times faster than the lowest speed offered by Comcast cable internet. Compared to AT&T DSL, this service provider’s internet speed is still on the higher end. This makes it an ideal option for most people seeking fast and reliable internet.
Sometimes, a signal might take time before it is transferred to and from a certain satellite. This delay is commonly known as latency. A good internet provider should ensure that there is minimal or no latency at all so that customers can have a good time using the internet. Thankfully, DirecTV satellite internet does not have latency issues, and as a result, you can use it to play online games, among other online activities conveniently.
Some internet service providers usually have issues whenever there is bad weather. For instance, if there are heavy rains, a user can experience buffering when viewing videos on YouTube. Other times, the internet signal might get lost altogether. However, DirecTV is different as it is not subject to such problems. Unless there is a severe storm, you can be sure to continue enjoying the services of this satellite internet provider without a fail.
For you to be compatible with DirecTV high-speed internet, there are a number of requirements that your internet device must meet. For instance, if you are using a laptop to access the internet, it needs to have a 300 MHz processor or more. It also needs to have RAM, whose capacity is 128MB or more. Additionally, the laptop should have internal storage of 100 MB and above. Other requirements include:
- An Ethernet card
- Your laptop should use Windows XP, 2000, 7, or Vista.
When using a Mac to surf the internet, it should meet the same requirements as mentioned above and also run on OS 10.4 or higher. Generally, if it has the latest operating system, the better the model.
Satellite Internet with DIRECTV Packages
If you want to save a few bucks, you should consider getting all your services from the same source. The good news is that DirecTV allows you to bundle with other internet service providers such as AT$T and save more. Besides this, there are several packages to choose from. Some of these packages include:
- AT&T Internet + DirecTV Bundles: If you settle for this bundle, you will be required to pay $104.99 per month and you stand to enjoy more than 185 channels on your TV and internet speeds of 100 Mbps
- ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE + INTERNET: The package mentioned above is ideal for those people who want to enjoy unlimited streaming and browsing. The good news is that you will not be limited by data caps. As far as entertainment is concerned, you will be able to watch more than 160 channels. More than 60 channels here can be watched in High Definition, popularly known as HD. When it comes to internet speeds, you can be sure that you will enjoy 100 Mbps. All you need to do is to pay $109.98, and you are good to go.
- CHOICE™ PACKAGE + INTERNET: If you opt to choose this package, you will be able to watch more than 185 channels. The good news is that 85 channels here can be watched in HD. This package also includes regional sports networks. For just $114.99, you will be able to enjoy all the goodies that come with this package.
- ULTIMATE™ PACKAGE + INTERNET: The package mentioned above is ideal for those who would like to watch more channels at home. This is because the package boasts of offering more than 250 channels, where 115 channels here are in HD. Besides this, the package includes regional sports networks. However, for you to enjoy the services mentioned above, you have to pay $129.99 per month.
- DIRECTV + HUGHESNET BUNDLE: By choosing this package, you will be able to enjoy a high-quality TV service as well as a reliable satellite internet. Unlike other packages, here you will only need to pay $64.99 and get to enjoy more than 160 channels. This package is preferred by many as it is more affordable than other packages.
- DIRECTV Packages with CenturyLink: The above-mentioned package allows you to watch more than 185 channels for just $69.99 per month. With this package, you will be able to remain entertained for longer at a very affordable price.
- Viasat Internet + DIRECTV Bundle: You can now enjoy all the goodies that come with this package by just paying $95 per month. However, this applies for the first two months. On the third month, prices usually start to rise. Generally, the price here may vary depending on a number of factors such as the data choice, internet speeds, and DirecTV package prices.
DIRECTV Pros and Cons
- It has plenty of TV channels
- Offers discounts to its consumers
- Quick download speeds
- Available in most places.
- It is quite stable compared to other types of internet connection
- It uses high definition TVs and digital video recording technologies
- Sometimes, this service provider charges high fees for its services.
DirecTV vs. Verizon FiOS
Are you wondering whether to choose DirecTV or Verizon FiOS? Chances are that you are not the only one. To start with, both service providers allow you to enjoy multiple TV channels and a good internet connection. They are good options for those seeking to get entertained, surf the internet, and so forth. However, there are a number of differences between these two service providers. The following are some of the aspects that distinguish these two service providers:
- Availability: Since DirecTV offers its services through satellites, it is, therefore, more available in most parts of the US. However, FiOS is different as it is only available in just 8 states.
- Price: As far as their prices are concerned, DirecTV is more expensive than FiOS. However, FiOS usually charge more on a monthly basis for DVR and TV boxes. Therefore, if you are on a budget, you can consider going for FiOS instead of DirecTV.
- Availability of channels: If you are looking for a service provider that offers more channels, you should choose Verizon FiOS. This service provider is known to offer a plethora of TV packages to all its clients. In most cases, these channels range from 60 to 425. Besides this, there is another program known as FiOS TV Test Drive. This program allows you to watch 425 for two months in a row. Thereafter, based on your viewing patterns, Verizon FiOS will recommend the best package to consider. On the other hand, DirecTV has ample channels, but they are not as many as those offered by Verizon FiOS.
- Internet speeds: As far as internet is concerned, Verizon FiOS has fast internet speeds. This is because internet here is delivered through modern fiber-optic infrastructure. However, DirecTV is different as it is provided through the traditional cable infrastructure. In this case, it might take you time before you upload or download a file from the internet.
- Connectivity: Since Verizon FiOS delivers its services through fiber-optic cables, it is known to be more reliable than DirecTV. This is because bad weather, such as storms, can disrupt DirecTV satellite internet.
- DVR: It is imperative to note that Verizon FiOS offers 2 DVR options. They include the FiOS Single-Room DVR and the FiOS Multi-Room DVR. On the other hand, DirecTV has only one DVR option, which is commonly known as Genie HD DVR.
FAQ – Frequently Ask Questions
Is fiber-optic internet better than satellite for TV service?
Although both types of internet connections are good, fiber optic is considered better and more reliable than satellite TV signals as they have faster data transfers and its signals are highly immune to any kind of interference. However, satellite internet is also better because it is not only faster but also available in remote areas whereas fiber-optic service is only available in certain regions.
Who has the best satellite Internet service?
To start with, this depends on what parameter works well for you. For instance, if you are looking for speed reliability, Hughes Net is the best option for you. If you are looking for a provider with a variety of plans, Viasat is the ideal choice for you. If you are looking for one with great potential in the future, Starlink is the best option for you. Direct TV is also best for football fanatics together with TV lovers that need many channels to watch. However, after compiling many providers, we can proudly conclude that DISH is the best. This is because it has the best price contracts, many channels counts, availability of sports channels, and DVR storage all at once.
Can I bundle DIRECTV with an internet plan?
Yes. As we speak, you can bundle DIRECTV with an internet plan and enjoy a good and stable internet connection. This provider has made bundling easy and you will be able to save a few bucks.
Can I get DIRECTV internet-only plans?
No. It is not possible to get internet-only plans from DIRECTV. This is because DirecTV is a satellite TV provider and thus does not offer internet service. If you want to get internet, you should consider service providers such as Viasat, AT&T, Hughes Net, and so on.
What is the average cost of satellite Internet?
Since there are different satellite internet providers with different pricing, the cost of satellite internet varies from one provider to another. However, on average, the cost of satellite equipment can range from $500 – $650. This is in exclusion of installment fees that can average from $150 to $250. Not to forget now the monthly subscription fee that ranges from $50 to $150.
How fast is the satellite internet?
The speed of satellite internet can go as high as 150 Mbps. However, as different satellite internet providers venture into the market with more advanced technologies, this speed is more likely to shoot up.
Can you stream video and music on satellite internet?
Yes. You can now stream your favorite videos and music using this internet. Since you just need $3 Mbps to 4 Mbps to stream videos and music, you will be able to stream a wide variety of music and videos on your device with satellite internet as their minimum internet plan starts from 12Mbps.
If you are looking for a satellite internet service provider offering plenty of TV channels and a good internet connection, look no further as DIRECTV is the ultimate solution. Besides having plenty of channels to watch, this satellite internet service provider has a good customer care team and provides cheap internet plans with providers like AT&T, Verizon among others. Choose this service provider today, and you will get the value for your hard-earned money.