In the recent past, owning a cell phone was an absolute luxury. For most people, the costs of owning one was much of a bother than a source of convenience. They were used to landlines after all, but then Tracfone Wireless emerged and brought a lot of changes. Tracfone provides curved their own way into the industry in irresistible means. Is it time to talk more about Tracfone bring your own phone and plans ?
Tracfone had prepaid cell phone plans that users had to pay for what they have used. Since then, Tracfone has grown to become a leading cell phone carrier, coming just behind T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T and Verizon. The company is well developed that it owns several Mobile Virtual Network operators such as Simple Mobile, Total Wireless, StraightTalk, Page Plus Cellular and much more.
What distinguishes Tracfone with other providers is that they focus on customers who are light to moderate cell phone users. Most often, the company services customers of age range above 55 years. This is probably where it got its reputation as a cell phone carrier for seniors. Nonetheless, its modern and stylish plans with new cell phone brands from renowned manufacturers have made it a popular company among people of all ages.
The fact that Tracfone was established in early 1996 but still remains relevant to date implies its good services. Below is an in-depth review of Tracfone and its services.
Tracfone Bring Your Own Phone And Plans
Interested clients who have purchased the latest iPhones and Samsung models are not completely locked out of Tracfone’s services. Like other carriers, they can bring Tracfone BYOP compatible phones that are unlocked. Note that Tracfone supports both GSM and CDMA SIM cards. Therefore, finding a compatible phone shouldn’t be a challenge. However, you should check beforehand if your phone is compatible with Tracfone’s bring your own phone programs.
As mentioned before, Tracfone has been an excellent service provider for many years. Despite heavy competition, the company remains the best mobile virtual network operator nationwide, thanks to its efficient plans. If you subscribed to Tracfone and looking to activate your plans, there are various ways to undertake this. For those who chose to bring their own phones, first ensure that the phone is compatible with Tracfone platform. You should then follow the Tracfone bring your own phone SIM activation kit.
Tracfone Coverage and Performance
Like other Mobile Virtual Network Operators, Tracfone piggybacks its network coverage on other carrier towers. The only difference is that other network operators use one or two carriers, while Tracfone uses 5. The 5 include T-Mobile, US Cellular, AT&T, Sprint and Verizon.
Since Tracfone uses all the top mobile carrier towers, the network coverage directly depends on the carrier that is most available in an area and the type of phone used. This means that customers are assured of good network coverage regardless. Looking at the coverage map of the five carriers insinuates that Tracfone is available everywhere. The secret code to Tracfone bring your own phone yours, For Free… Really.
Tracfone Cell Phone Plans
Tracfone offers no-contract yet low-cost cell phone plans that are easy to set up. You don’t need to undertake a credit check or place a deposit to get a Tracfone plan. The service is available to everyone and can be cancelled anytime without a cancellation fee. The company offers two cell phone plans, which include the “Basic phone Plan” and “Smartphone Only Plan.” Tracfone offers pay as you go phone plans for both basic and smartphone plans.
The plans range from 30 days, 60 days, 90 days to 365-day intervals. Therefore, if you buy a yearlong plan, you will enjoy Tracfone services for the entire 365 days or until you run out of minutes or data plans. The company also carries over remaining subscriptions only if you purchase the new plan before the current plan expires. You should, however, learn how to put minutes on your phone.
Tracfone Basic Phone Plans
Basic Phone Plans from Tracfone begin at $9.99 to $99.99 per month. On the other hand, the 365 days plans cost between $99.99 and $199.99. This provides subscribers with an all-year-round of Tracfone services until the minutes or texts run out.
Compared to other carriers that provide similar services, Tracfone is probably the cheapest. Most competitors, be it Verizon Prepaid, Metro PCS or Cricket can’t beat the prices offered by this company. The only drawback with Tracfone’s basic plans is the lack of unlimited talk and text. This is probably the reason why these services are best for light phone users.
Tracfone Smartphone Plans
Unlike the basic plans, Tracfone’s Smartphone Plans begin at high rates, starting from $15 per month. However, just like basic plans, there are no unlimited text or calls, with the carrier offering 1500 minutes of calls and texts for 365 days. Nonetheless, the plan comes with data plans that range between 500MB and 2GB.
|500 minutes, 500 texts, 500MB
|500 minutes, 1,000 texts, 500MB
|750 minutes, 1,000 texts, 1GB
|750 minutes, 1,000 texts, 1.5GB
|750 minutes, 1,500 texts, 2GB
|1,500 minutes, 1,500 texts, 1.5GB
These are enough for any casual smartphone user to conduct basic Google search once a while or browse their favorite social media platform. If you like Netflix or playing games, the plans may not suit your data usage. The $50 for 2GB, which is a 90-day plan, may not sustain streaming from your phone.
In that case, you can consider going for the MetroPCS unlimited data; calls and text for $50 or Cricket’s unlimited data, calls and texts that cost $55 per month.
Best Tracfone Bring Your Own Phones
Besides offering the best plans for basic and smartphone options for talk, text and data, Tracfone also provides smartphones and basic phone at very affordable prices. Interested parties can purchase the phones from the company’s website “https://www.tracfone.com/shop” and other online and offline retailers.
The company doesn’t stock the latest Samsung phones and Apple products. Therefore, if you like getting your hands on the latest models, this carrier may not be a good option for you. Tracfone trends a few models behind the latest Galaxies and iPhones. Despite this, there are a plethora of options to choose from.
The good thing about this is that the phones offered are cheap to purchase. However, with the current planned obsolescence, most people will find it challenging to purchase a smartphone that has been in the market for more than two years.
Among the best-rated Tracfone phone plans include:
1. Samsung Galaxy J7 Sky Pro
If you are searching for the best Samsung phone to use with Tracfone wireless, the Samsung Galaxy J7 Sky Pro is your best pick.
- The phone comes with a 5.5-inch touchscreen display that is good for reading and streaming videos.
- The 720 x 1280 resolution is impressive and ensures that the screen images are clear and vibrant.
- The screen brightness auto-adjusts when out on outdoors, making it easier to see. When the lighting is dimmed, the screen automatically dims also to accommodate the prevailing conditions.
- The phone comes with 1.4GHz processor and 2GB RAM that makes it possible to multi-task.
- This phone features an updated Android 6.0 Marshmallow that makes it reliable and responsive all times.
- Features a 16GB internal storage that stores a lot of data. There is a microSD slot if you need more storage space.
- The rear 8MP camera and 5MP front camera are great for taking quality pictures.
- The phone comes with a 3300mAh battery that lasts long. The battery saving mode enables users to manage battery usage.
- Clear images
- Long battery life
- High-speed processor
- Large screen
- Low volumes
2. LG Fiesta 2 Smartphone
Another good phone with an impressive display is the LG Fiesta 2 Smartphone. Apart from the amazing display, the 4G network makes it among the best phone with high-level ergonomics.
- The 5.5-inch screen suits those who are used to large screens. It comes with an IPS display, meaning that all colors are vivid.
- Screen resolution of 1280 x 720 makes it a high-definition phone and perfect for everyone who wants to stream videos every time.
- The 1.4GHz processor with 2GB RAM enables gaming and multi-tasking enthusiasts to enjoy high-quality games.
- 16GB internal storage with approximately 10GB usable and microSD slot makes it possible for the phone to store a lot of items.
- Like other high-end phones reviewed, it comes with 13MP rear, and 5MP rear camera provides a great photo and video recordings.
- Probably among the highest, the LG Fiesta 2 Smartphone has a 4500mAh battery that lasts long. However, it is not removable.
- Long-lasting battery
- Large screen
- Upgradable memory space
- Screen resolution can be improved
3. Samsung Galaxy J3 Luna Pro
The Samsung Galaxy J3 Luna Pro is another Samsung set of phone that came as a sequel to the initial Samsung Galaxy J3. The phone is made to offer a more user-friendly experience.
- Comes with a 5-inch screen that provides great visibility
- Screen resolution of 720 x 1280 is impressive for those who want to watch videos. Provides exceptional clarity and definition.
- If you are an avid phone user who runs multiple applications simultaneously, the phone’s 1.4GHz processor won’t let you down.
- Features an Android 6.0 Marshmallow that provides both fast browsing speeds and supports multi-tasking.
- The Adreno 306 graphics-processing unit helps optimize the phone’s video and gaming experience.
- The phone features a 2600mAh battery that provides long usage period before necessitating recharge.
- Has microSD slot for expanding memory
- Ultra power-saving mode
- Screen issues
4. Alcatel OneTouch Tracfone
Alcatel remains one of the popular phone brands that is often overlooked. The Alcatel OneTouch Tracfone is a reliable handset option yet affordable. The product comes with strong features, which include;
- A 5-inch display screen that is large enough for use when watching videos or playing games.
- The phone runs on Android 4.4.2 and supported by 1.2GHz processor with 1GB RAM. This provides above-average performance.
- The Alcatel OneTouch Tracfone comes with 4GB internal memory, with which half can be used for apps, pictures and online download storage. You can as well supplement this with a microSD.
- The 5MP rear and 3MP front camera provide somehow clear snapshots. Though not good, it works well for selfies and video recording.
- The 2000mAh battery provides up to 9.5 hours of talk time and takes 2 hours to charge fully. Compared to other brands, this is quite reasonable.
- Can be comfortably used on one hand
- Quad-core processor is fast
- Large display screen
- Lacks phone updates
- Cannot read more than 32GB SD cards
Most Tracfone customers had the following questions to customer support.
Q. Do Tracfone minutes carry over?
Yes. Customers can carry over their remaining minutes provided they renew the plan before it expires. The unused minutes, talk time and data will be rolled over to the next subscription period. Note that the period cannot be extended.
Q. Can I keep my phone number?
Absolutely yes. If you already have a tfw account with Tracfone Wireless Miami, you can keep the number provided it remains active. All you need to do is call Tracfone’s customer service, inform them, and they will do this through a process known as “porting.” Within a few hours, your number will have been transferred and usable.
You will need to provide the customer service with the following information;
- Your full names
- Phone number alternate to the one you want to be ported
- Home address
- Social Security Number
- Bill with your current mobile carrier
Q. Are there any activation or hidden charges?
Tracfone has no activation fees. Besides, there are no cancellation or other hidden fees. Like other MVNOs, return policies vary, based on where you purchased the cell phone and plans. Always check the Company’s Terms and Conditions.
Tracfone offers a wide variety of options for cell phones and plans. However, unless you don’t require extra minutes or data, the smartphone plans are a good deal. As for its performance, it works better by leveraging the towers of the best mobile carriers. It provides good network coverage and speeds.