Did you know that there are more than 2000 government assistance programs in America? Yes. The American government has set several aid programs to help the less fortunate, disabled, veterans and low income families living under the federal poverty level. The programs also help long term unemployed citizens.
These programs have different conditions and serves different purposes. However, their main objective is to support and offer emergency help to the less fortunate. Some of these programs have free smartphones from the government. Additionally, they are reliable and convenient. I mean, they are available in almost every city for easy reach. Unlike other private and non- governmental programs, government federal programs do not run out of resources. In this article, we have listed and explained some of the government assistance programs for you.
1. Financial Government Assistance Programs
Supplemental Security Income Program ( SSI )
This is a financial assistance program that is governed by the US Social security administration. This program provides cash or monthly payments to eligible individuals or families to cater for their day to day expenses. Most considered are the elderly and disabled.
- You must be strained financially and have limited aces among other restrictions.
- You must be above 18 years.
- Must be an American resident.
However, the monthly income received depends on the applicant’s poverty state.
Temporary Assistance For Needy Family Program ( TANF)
TANF provides cash assistance to low and strained income families with children with the goal of improving their life standard. This program also provides non – cash assistance like job training, child care, family developing and minimizing out of wedlock families and pregnancies.
- You must not be an active member of any other financial aid program.
- You must have a family.
- You must be jobless and living below the government federal level.
2. Education Government Assistance Programs
Free Application For Federal Student Aid Program ( FAFSA )
FAFSA provides educational grants to financial strained students or students from the needy families to complete their studies. The applicant should fill an application form with consistence and correct information. This is because the information will be used to determine eligibility.
- You must be a student from a needy family.
- You must not be a member of any other education aid program.
Gi Bill Program
Gi Bill is another reliable education program meant to help veterans to cater for education expenses. Through this program, veterans and their families receive financial aid to fully or partially cover their education expenses.
- You must be a veteran or a member of veteran’s family.
- Must be an American resident.
3. Health Government Assistance Programs
This is the most used health program covering over 78 million American residents. It is a national public health care assistance program that is meant to benefit low income US residents with low cost or free health charges.
The program caters for services like preventive care, physician/lab visit, dental care, vision care, cancer screening and prescription drug coverage among others. Note that, the eligibility of this program varies per the state of residence.
- Must be a resident of a certain state.
- Must be a low income resident.
- In some states, you must be a senior citizen, disabled or pregnant.
- In some states, you must be a parent with children living in your home.
Children Health Insurance Program ( CHIP )
CHIP offers free and affordable health care services to eligible children that are below 19 years. The program considers children whose family do not qualify for Medicaid but are below the CHIP limit. CHIP covers medical care, test and supplies along with dental and vision among others.
- Must be a US resident.
- You must be below 19 years of age.
- You must not qualify for Medicaid program.
This is another government federal program that benefit 65 years old and above seniors. It also caters for medical expenses for people with disability. This program provides free or affordable hospital insurance, lab work, x – rays, dental and eye care, drug coverage among others.
- You must be US resident.
- You must be disabled with low or no income.
- Senior above 65 years old.
This is a federal health program meant to help retired or active military professionals or their families to cater for health expenses. To qualify,
- You must be an America resident.
- You must be from a retired or active military household.
4. Housing Government Assistance Programs
Section 8 Housing Program
This is a government federal program that provides financial aid to raise the cost of housing to eligible individuals, families, disabled or seniors. The program helps in raising a part of your rental cost to help afford a decent, clean and safe housing.
- You must have a low income / living under the federal poverty level.
- Be a legit US resident.
- Qualify for other federal programs like food and health programs.
Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program ( LIHEAP )
This is a federal aid program that provides assistance on energy expenses to low income families. This program helps to cater for heating bills, cooling bills as well as weather states.
In some regions, the program helps only the elderly and disabled to cater for their bills. In other states, this program helps to cater for only cooling bills.
5. Food Government Assistance Programs
Special Supplemental Nutrition Program For Women, Infants And Children( WIC )
This is a food program that helps the poor or low income pregnant, breast feeding mothers, infants or children up to the age of 5 to access free nutritional food to avoid malnutrition. To qualify, you must be pregnant, breast feeding or have a child that is less than 5 years old.
Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program ( SNAP )
Also known as food stamp, this program helps the low income individuals or households to access health and nutrition food for free. Unlike WIC, this program does not consider only mothers and children. Instead, it helps any financial strained American resident.
Rather than free nutritional food supplements, this program also provides free government internet and laptop to eligible members.
Free Laptops With Food Stamps
In collaboration with the government, this program provides free laptops to eligible individual or households through filling a simple application form to food stamp. The government also collaborates with laptop providers like Apple, Dell and Lenovo among others. These providers provide the laptops for free or at a cheap and affordable price. They provide both new and refurbished laptops to those who need technology access but cannot afford.
Food stamp also collaborates with various internet providers like AT & T and T – Mobile to provide nearly free internet plans to use along with these laptops. They also cater for the need of their disabled members. They understand that a disabled person may need a laptop to improve and ease his work. They provide free laptops to disabled for proper access to technology.
To apply for free laptop from food stamps you need:
- Have a proof of identity. You must gave either a birth certificate or social security number.
- Have a proof of eligibility. You must prove that you are needy. This is through proving your membership on food stamps or any other government aid program.
- Free Government Cell Phone With Internet
- Free Cell Phone For Seniors And Disabled
- Free Laptop For College Students From Government
There are several lifeline or government federal programs. In this site, we have named a few. It is important to note that not all programs are legit. I mean, there are several fraud or scam programs created to take advantage of the needy and vulnerable. Therefore, it is important to ensure that the program you are applying for is real. You should also take caution when giving out your personal details like bank accounts and social security numbers