MetroPCS phone are not automatically unlock when you purchase them. Most people don’t like that aspect and are willing to unlock their phones by all means so as to enjoy the unlimited benefits of their gadgets. By locking their mobile phones, Metro aims at maintaining their customer base by tying them to their network. Unlocking your mobile phone allows you to enjoy better deals and better services without limitations.
However, the process isn’t a walk in the park. For example, to unlock your phone through MetroPCS, you have to meet certain requirements for your phone to be certified for unlocking.
However, back-end software has developed to unlock your phone without any embargos. With these third-party methods, you don’t need to fulfill the MetroPCS phone unlock policy requirements.
The Process To Unlock a MetroPCS Phone
If you are ready to break the network carriage barrier there are various techniques you can use depending with your phone model. Best of these include;
MetroPCS Phone Unlock
The metro phone unlock policy has minimal and considerably simple requirements. Once you fulfill these requirements, they will unlock your phone at low or no cost at all. For general users, these requirements are;
- Your phone must be on Metro network and you must have acquired it from them. Otherwise your application won’t go through because Metro doesn’t unlock phones from other network carriers.
- The mobile phone must have been active for at least 180 consecutive days from the activation date. Even if you replace your phone within the warranty period, your activation date remains the first day of your purchase.
- You must have a valid and active email address through which Metro will send the activation code.
For military personnel, not all the above requirements hold. The service persons enjoy various exceptions with a handful of conditions. If you are in military or a close relative sharing a Metro account, you’ll need to satisfy the following conditions;
- Present yourself to a metro branch or you can send a close person on your behalf.
- You should present a proof of overseas deployment or a pending one.
- Fill the Metro phone unlocks application form and present it for processing.
When your phone unlocks application is approved, a system-generated activation code will be emailed to you. Enter the code, and your phone should be unlocked removing all network carrier restrictions. You can check whether the process has gone through by trying your local SIM card to see whether it’s detected.
To get Metro customer care to activate your phone, you can use two different ways. You can either visit their branch or make a call. If you decide to call, you’ll be required to provide your phone number, account name, and the Billing pin. Once you’ve provided the information, the application will be processed and an activation code emailed to you. Therefore, you should ensure that you have all the account-related data to avoid delays or decline.
MetroPCS Phone Unlock App
Some Metro phone models do not need you to contact or visit Metro agents. All you need to do is downloading and install the Metro unlock App in your phone. Some of the phones you can unlock using this app include Cool-pad, Alcatel, Kyocera, HTC, Samsung etc. To unlock your phone, after installing the app follow the steps below;
- Launch the application and select your phone model. If you can’t locate the tab, check it in Metro by T-Mobile folder.
- Select Device Unlock button and click continue
- If you want to unlock your phone permanently, choose “Permanent Unlock”
- To finish the process, restart your mobile phone. Failure to restart your phone will cause persistent restart notification.
Using Direct Unlock MetroPCS Phone
This is independent software that can help you bypass the limitations of the Metro carrier. You can unlock your phone by yourself without involving anyone. However, this service is payable but not too expensive. The method can unlock all Metro phones including those blacklisted and with negative standings. To use this technique, follow these steps;
- Go to Direct-Unlocks MetroPCS Unlock
- On the page menu, select your phone model
- Enter your device’s IMEI number. If you don’t have it, you can get it by calling *#06# on your phone.
- Click continues to proceed to the payment page. Enter your payment details to clear the required charges. In case your phone isn’t unlocked, you’ll receive your money back.
- Submit the payment details and generate the order code. The importance of this code is that you can use it to track the progress of the unlock process.
- Immediately after your payment is received, the process begins. It takes a few hours but doesn’t take more than 24 hours. Your phone’s features will be unleashed to full potential and will be compatible with a wide variety of carriers.
Advantages of Unlocking Metro Phones
- You evade the expensive roaming rates when travelling internationally. An unlocked phone allows you to buy local SIM cards which are definitely cheaper. MetroPCS has notoriously high charges for calls and data bundles.
- An unlocked phone costs more than the locked ones. Therefore, if you want to sell your phone at a maximum price, unlocking is a great idea to increase its value.
- You get the freedom to switch service providers which gives you an opportunity to enjoy better tariffs and services. In this era full of competitive carriers, you stand to gain a lot with the freedom to change the networks. Occasionally, the competing entities introduce a variety of subsidized features that you can take advantage of.
- You enjoy more features on your phone without compromising the warranty.
- You continue using your mobile phone even during the unlocking process. Whichever method you use to unlock your phone, none will ask you to leave your phone. So, you will still be able to contact your normal business with your phone during the entire period.
What is the meaning of an unlocked phone?
An unlocked mobile phone means it can operate on different carrier networks. All Metro by T-Mobile phone come locked and only connects to Metro GSM network. To make it compatible with other competitive carriers, you have to unlock it.
What are the advantages of unlocking your metro mobile phone?
The major advantage of unlocking your metro phone is to use it with other carriers. The ability to change carriers gives you freedom to use the cheapest phone plans.
The other advantage is the international compatibility. You can travel with your phone internationally switching to local carriers in the respective countries instead of using roaming rates. This is not only convenient but also cost effective.
How can I activate my unlock MetroPCS phone on another network?
Different carriers have varying procedures and policies of “bring your own device”. The first thing you should do is to check whether your phone is compatible with your desired carrier. There’s is an online portal dedicated to the same. To avoid disappointments, contact this preliminary check before unlocking your phone. If they are compatible, after unlocking, insert the new SIM card to start enjoying the carrier services.
What type of network is Metro?
Metro is a GSMA network. However, this happened after its merger with the T-Mobile which made it shut down their CDMA network. Therefore, Metro is currently a purely GSMA carrier.
Do you have to change your Metro number after unlocking your phone?
No. All carriers allow new customers to port their phone numbers. Some of them actually have incentives for people trading in their phones from other networks.
The benefits of unlocking your Metro phone are insurmountable. You are able to enjoy great features you may never have known existed in your phone. You can take advantage of any of the above methods of unlocking your metro phone. Whether travelling or just fed up with the Metro services, worry no more; you have the option to turn your phone to a more powerful and versatile device.