Having a good network to offering high-quality devices, there are many reasons why most users still rely on Verizon services. However, this carrier usually offers expensive cell phone plans and ties you to a contract. Thankfully, there are other carriers that offer affordable cell phone plans and still does not tie you to any contract. A good example is Straight Talk. Besides not tying you to a contract and offering budget-friendly cell phone plans, Straight Talk allows you to bring your own phone and get started on its network. This allows you to enjoy unmatched convenience and save more money. Since most Verizon users would like to use their phone for Straight Talk, we shall take a closer look at that alongside other related facets.
Steps to Use Verizon Phone For Straight Talk
You can now bring your Verizon phone and start using it on Straight Talk’s network. All you need to do is to ensure that your device is unlocked and is compatible with Straight Talk.
If your device of choice meets these requirements, you go ahead and obtain a Straight Talk SIM card or starter kit and then activate your device. Once you activate your Straight Talk, you can now choose the plan that suits your budget. The good news is that Straight Talk offers affordable plans that will not strain your overall budget.
Types of Verizon Phones That are Compatible With Straight Talk
Most Verizon phones can now work with Straight Talk. However, you have to ensure that your device is unlocked and thereafter check the compatibility of your device. To check your device’s compatibility, visit Straight Talk’s compatibility page and then enter your phone’s MEID or IMEI and then your ZIP code.
Within a few seconds, Straight Talk’s system will help you determine if your device is compatible or not. In case your device is compatible with Straight Talk, you can now bring it to this carrier’s network and enjoy the services offered. Besides this, you are free to get a new number from Straight Talk or retain your old Verizon phone number.
Steps To Bring Verizon Phone To Straight Talk
By now, you are aware that you can bring your Verizon phone to Straight Talk. Here is the process that can help you get started:
- Get your device ready
- Key in *#06# on your phone’s keypad and then tap on the ‘Call’ button.
- Your phone’s IMEI number will be displayed on the screen.
- Note this number down as you might require it later in this process
- Contact Verizon Wireless customer support team on 1-800-837-4966 and let the agent on the other end know that you want to unlock your device so that you can utilize it with another carrier. Since this carrier ties you to a contract, you might incur certain charges in case you choose to terminate your service. In case there is a pending balance, pay it promptly so that you can be able to get an unlock code from this carrier’s representative.
- Once you obtain your unlock code, reboot your device. Here, you should press and hold the ‘1’ and the ‘*’ keys. In case this method does not work, check your phone’s manual for more guidance. Once you are prompted to enter the unlock code, key it in correctly. After this, your device will switch off.
- After your device switches off, remove the back cover of the phone and remove both the battery and Verizon SIM card.
- Contact Straight Talk’s customer support team by dialing 1-877-430-2355 and let the representative on the other end know that you want to use an unlocked phone with their service.
- The representative might ask you a number of questions in order to verify your identity. Answer all the questions correctly and provide the much-needed details as required.
- Tap on the ‘Select carrier’ so that they can check the compatibility of your device. Since you are using a Verizon phone, choose Verizon Wireless among the carriers that you will see on your screen.
- After that, choose the type of device that you want to switch. In this case, you can choose either iPhone or Android.
- You will be prompted to provide vital details such as your phone’s IMEI number. Provide this detail and the agent on the other side will help you switch your device.
As we mentioned, Straight Talk allows you to keep your own number or get a new number. Once you switch your phone, the next step is to either port your number or get a new one altogether.
If you want to keep your Verizon number, consider talking ting to Straight Talk’s representative and then request them to port or transfer Verizon number for you. Better still, you can choose to do it on your own. However, there are certain requirements that you must meet for you to transfer or keep your Verizon number. Some of these requirements include:
- Ensure that you provide a valid phone number
- Your Verizon account name and that of your Straight Talk account name has to match.
- Ensure that you have an account number and a porting pin number from Verizon Wireless
- Your Verizon number must be active. Here, you must be using your Verizon number to make calls, send text messages and even browse the internet.
- You must have met the much-needed Straight Talk’s transfer terms and conditions
- You must have an active Straight Talk account. Besides this, it has to be active for about one month or thereabout
- Ensure that your device relies on CDMA or GSM technology.
Once you meet these requirements, time is ripe to switch from Verizon to Straight Talk and keep your number:
- Go to browser and visit “www.straighttalk.com/activation“
- Choose the ‘Activate my phone with a number transferred from another company’ option
- Provide the number you intend to transfer from Verizon to Straight Talk
- You will see a number of prompts on your screen. Follow them and you will be able to transfer your Verizon number to Straight Talk successfully.
If you choose to port your number, be sure that your Verizon number will remain. The only thing that will change here is the carrier offering the cell phone service.
Steps to Unlock A Verizon Phone For Straight Talk
Verizon always locks its devices to its carrier for a certain period. Typically, this happens so as to hinder users from moving to other competitive carriers. Therefore, you must first unlock your device and pay any early termination fees so that you can move to another carrier, such as Straight Talk.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Switching From Verizon to Straight Talk
There are many benefits that you are likely to reap once you switch from Verizon to Straight Talk. Some of the noticeable benefits include the following:
- The carrier has good network coverage, thanks to Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T network towers. Therefore, you will be able to connect to both 4G LTE and 5G networks regardless of where you live within the United States.
- Unlike Verizon, Straight Talk offers affordable cell phone plans to all its customers. In fact, if you choose 3-month, 6 –month or 12-month data plans, be sure that you enjoy huge discounts, thereby allowing you to save more bucks.
- The carrier allows you to order SIM cards from its site or at your nearest Walmart store. Thankfully, Walmart has over 3000 stores nationwide. Therefore, you will not miss a store close to you where you can visit and purchase your SIM card and activate your 30-day plan right away.
- Straight Talk allows you to bring your own phone and get started. As long as your device is unlocked and compatible, be sure that you will be good to go.
- This carrier allows you to purchase your desired phone via buy now pay later. Here, you will be able to enjoy 24-month financing and thus enjoy more convenience.
- Straight Talk offers a number of decent iPhone and Android phones. Therefore, you are free to upgrade your device whenever you please. Here, you will not miss a device that suits your needs.
When it comes to customer support services, this carrier does not disappoint. Therefore, you will be able to reach out to a customer support team anytime you please and address any issue you might have at hand. If you want to contact this carrier’s customer support team, feel free to dial 1-877-430-2355.You can also utilize the Live chat feature on this carrier’s official website and address any service-related or phone-related issue. Finally, you can dial 611611 and get much-needed help and guidance.