Are you looking for an affordable way to get a 5G phone? The good news is that you can get one free of charge from the government by applying for Federal government program such as Lifeline, Lifeline + ACP or ACP facility. As we speak, the Federal government is now bridging the digital gap among Americans by offering the above-mentioned programs. Depending of your preferred Federal program, you may apply for free 5G government phones alongside discounted cell phone plans.
Consequently, you will no longer have to stretch your budget in order to remain connected. In this article we shall delve into how you can get free 5G government phones, the various eligibility requirements you ought to meet, the various service providers that offer these models, and so much more.
Best Free 5G Government Phones Provider in 2023
The following are some of the best carriers that offer free 5G government phones in 2023:
1. AirTalk Wireless
This carrier mainly offers 5G phones via its Lifeline + ACP program. To apply for a free model from this carrier, visit airtalkwireless.com/apply and then key in your ZIP code. Thereafter, click on the ‘Apply Now’ button. Follow the prompts that you will see on your screen so that you can fill in the application form.
2. Lifeline Wireless
Unlike other carriers, this one mainly focusses on offering Lifeline program to eligible Americans. After qualifying for its Lifeline program, you will not only get a free 5G smartphone but also unlimited talk, text, mobile data and 5GB of hotspot data. To bag all these offers, visit lifewireless.com and start your application process right away.
3. Assurance Wireless:
By applying for Assurance Wireless Lifeline program, you stand the chance to get a free 5G government phone. Apart from the free 5g model, you will be able to enjoy free unlimited texts, minutes of talk, mobile data and 10GB of mobile hotspot data. To start the application process, click assurancewireless.com and then click on the ‘Apply Now’ button.
4. Cintex Wireless
It is imperative to note that Cintex Wireless is one of the participants of the ACP program stands for the Affordable Connectivity program. If you are eligible for this program, you will be able to get a free 5G phone alongside other cell phone services for free. For instance, you will get unlimited data, unlimited talk and text, and so forth.
This carrier mainly offers free 5G government phones via its Lifeline + ACP combo program. To apply for a free 5G model from this carrier, visit cintexwireless.com/apply and then key in your ZIP code and email address. Thereafter, click on the ‘Apply Now’ button and then you will access the application form. Fill it with your details and then submit it upon completion.
5. Safelink Wireless:
Safelink Wireless is another service provider that participates in the Lifeline Assistance program and offers free 5G phones to all eligible individuals. As long as you qualify for the program, be sure that you will get this device. A good example is the OnePlus 8 5G which goes for $749 in the market. The other one is Nokia 8.3 5G which goes for $549 in the market.
Safelink Wireless offers free 5G phones via Lifeline, ACP or Lifeline + ACP combo program. To start your application, click safelinkwireless.com/Enrollment/Safelink/en/Web/www/default/index.html#!/newHome and then enter your ZIP code and then click on the ‘Start’ button. Fill in the application form and then submit it for review.
6. Access Wireless:
Although this carrier hardly reveal the model they offer as a free phone, trust that you will get a 5G model via its Lifeline or ACP facility. Additionally, you will be able to enjoy unlimited talk, text and mobile data so that you can remain connected with your loved ones inexpensively. To start your application, visit accesswireless.com and get started.
7. NewPhone Wireless:
NewPhone is another reputable carrier that offers free 5G government phones via its Lifeline and ACP facility. However, this carrier mainly offer free phones to residents of Wyoming and Louisiana only. To start your application click newphone.com/apply and enter your ZIP code. Thereafter, click on the ‘Apply Now’ button and you will be all set.
8. Easy Wireless:
This carrier offers free 5G government phones to eligible customers who live in states such as Maine, New Jersey, Delaware, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Rhode Island, Minnesota, among others. Apart from getting a free 5G phone, you will be able to enjoy unlimited talk, text and mobile data. To enjoy these benefits, click myeasywireless.com and start the actual application process.
9. StandUp Wireless:
By applying for this carrier’s Lifeline + ACP combo plan, you stand the chance to get a free 5G government phone alongside unlimited talk, text and 10 GB of high speed data. To make this a reality, visit standupwireless.com and key in your ZIP code and email address. Thereafter, click the ‘Begin Application’ button and you will be good to go.
If you want to get a free 5G government phone from this carrier, consider applying for its Lifeline + ACP combo program. Here, you will not only get a free 5G model but also a free monthly phone service. To get started, visit truconnect.com and then enter your ZIP code and address. Click the ‘Apply Now’ and start the application process.
Although Verizon is a participant of the Lifeline Assistance program, it does not offer free 5G phones per se. There is a catch for you to get this device. If you want to get a free 5G phone from this carrier, you have to either trade in any phone you have, and you will be able to get an iPhone 12 or Samsung Galaxy Note 20 or Samsung Galaxy S21.
To put it into perspective, these customers will be able to get an equivalent of $800 off a new Android phone or $700 off a new iPhone. If this deal does not please you, you can consider activating a new line of data on Verizon’s unlimited plan and be eligible to get a free Samsung Galaxy S20 FE. Here, you can sign up for any of these unlimited data plans and be ready to part with $70 to $80 per month.
The move is aimed at luring new customers to try Verizon cell phone service and become lifetime subscribers. It is also important to note that Verizon is enticing customers to switch from other carriers and join Verizon and be able to get the free 5G phones deal sweetener as well as a $300 prepaid credit card.
Apart from Verizon, T-Mobile is another carrier that offers free 5G phones. Unlike Verizon, T-Mobile offers a more straightforward deal that allows you to take home a free 5G phone. To start with, you can get a free Revv V+ 5G or OnePlus Nord N200 5G when you trade in any functioning mobile device. Better still, you stand to get a free Galaxy S21 or iPhone 12 when you trade in a phone and also sign up for the Magenta Plus unlimited plan.
Besides Verizon and T-Mobile, you can also get a free 5g phone deal from AT&T. Here, you are eligible to get an iPhone12 mini or Galaxy S21 whenever you trade in a mobile phone that is working optimally. Also, you have to sign up for unlimited data. If you have a much older device, be sure that you will get either the iPhone 12 mini or Samsung S21 at a reduced rate and not free as you would wish.
For instance, if you have an iPhone 8 or a higher model, you can be assured that you will enjoy the full trade-in value. Anything older than that will just allow you to get a discount of $350 or thereabout. Better still, if you have a Samsung Galaxy S9 or a slightly recent model, be sure that you will get the full rebate.
Other carriers that might be offering free 5G government phones include:
- Tag Mobile
- Assist Wireless
- SafetyNet Wireless
- Q Link Wireless
Top 7 Best Free 5G Government Phones in 2023
Once you qualify for Lifeline, ACP or Lifeline + ACP program, here are some of the best free 5G government phones that you are likely to get;
- Samsung Galaxy A32: This model comes with a 6.4 inches Super AMOLED screen display and runs on Android 11.Besides this, it comes with a 64GB ROM and 4GB RAM. At the back, it comes with 4 cameras whose capacities are 64MP, 8MP, 5MP and 5MP.
- OnePlus 9 Pro: The above-mentioned 5G model boasts of having a 6.7 LTPO Fluid AMOLED screen display. Additionally, it runs on Android 11.It comes with a 128GB ROM and 8GB RAM. At the back, the model features 4 cameras whose capacities are 48MP, 8MP, 50MP and 2MP.
- Google Pixel 5a: This model has a 6.34 inch OLED screen display and runs on Android 11.At the back, it has 2 cameras whose capacities are 12.2 MP and 16 MP. To enable you take high quality selfies, the model comes with an 8MP selfie camera. In addition, the model has a 128GB ROM and 6GB RAM.
- Apple iPhone 12 Mini: The above-mentioned 5G model comes with a 5.4 inch Super Retina XDR OLED screen display. It runs on iOS 14.1 and is powered by Apple A14 Bionic (5 nm) chipset. Unlike other models, it comes with a 64GB ROM and 4GB RAM.
- Google Pixel 6 Pro: This model’s screen display measures 6.7 inches. The 5G model runs on Android 12 and is powered by Google Tensor (5nm) chipset. Although it has no memory card slot, it comes with a 128GB ROM and 12GB RAM.
- TCL Revvl 5G: This model runs on Android 10 and comes with a 6.5 inch IPS LCD screen display. Besides this, it comes with a 128GB ROM and 6GB RAM. At the back, it comes with 3 main cameras whose capacities are 48MP, 8MP and 5 MP respectively.
- Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra: One features that makes this model to stand out is its 6.8 inch Dynamic AMOLED 2X screen display. The 5G model also comes with a 128GB ROM and 12GB RAM. Unlike other models, this one has 4 camera at the back whose capacities are 108MP, 10MP, 10MP and 12MP respectively.
- OnePlus Nord 200 5G : When it comes to the screen size, the phone mentioned above does not disappoint as it comes with a 6.52-inch screen. Besides this, the device comes with 3 cameras at the back that allows you to take high definition photos.
- Motorola G Stylus 5G : To start with, this device runs on Android 11 and has a screen size of 6.8 inches. Compared to its peer models, this screen is large enough to allow you to play games, watch videos and even read documents more comfortably.
List Of Other 5G Government Phones in 2023
Apart from the 5G government phones we have mentioned above, the following are other phones that you should consider:
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 mini
- Samsung Galaxy A52
- Google Pixel 6 Pro
Programs That Offers Free 5G Government Phones
Some of the Federal programs that offer free 5G government phones include:
Since its inception in 1984, Lifeline has become a lifesaver for Americans who come from low income families. If you qualify for this program, you will be able to get a 5G government phone free of charge alongside the following other offers:
- Unlimited texts
- Unlimited minutes
- Unlimited mobile data
When it comes to the above-mentioned offers, note that they can vary depending on your preferred Lifeline carrier and your residential state.
Lifeline + ACP program
As the name suggests, this program combines the benefits that come with Lifeline and ACP facility. If you apply for this program and meet the minimum eligibility requirements, you will be able to get a free 5G government phone and discounted cell phone plans such as unlimited talk, text and mobile data. Additionally, you might be able to enjoy hotspot data so that you can keep other wireless devices connected to the internet. Depending on where you come from and your selected Lifeline + ACP facility service provider, the offers might vary.
Compared to Lifeline, the Affordable Connectivity Program is quite recent as it was launched on December 31st 2021. By qualifying for this program, you stand the chance to get a free 5G government phone and also enjoy discounted cell phone plans.
If you live on Non-Tribal lands, you stand the chance to enjoy monthly discounts of up to $30.On the other hand, if you live on Tribal lands, you will enjoy discounts of up to $75 on a monthly basis. These offers allow you to keep your communication costs at the bare minimum.
Eligibility Requirements to Get a Free 5G Government Phone
For you to get a free 5G government phone, there are a number of eligibility requirements that an applicant ought to meet. Depending on your preferred Federal program, these eligibility requirements might vary. For instance, if you want to apply for a free 5G government phone via Lifeline, you should ensure that your income stands at or is below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. Apart from meeting this criteria, you can be eligible to get a free 5G from the government if you are a beneficiary of any of the following government assistance programs:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program(SNAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Veterans and Survivors Pension Benefit
- Federal Public Housing Assistance.
- Tribal Head Start
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
- Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
Suppose you want to apply for a free 5G government phone via ACP, you should ensure that your income stands at or is below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. Just like Lifeline, this program allows you to get a free 5G phone if you are a participant of a government assistance program.
When it comes to these program, in case you take part in any of the government assistance programs that we have listed in the Lifeline section, trust that you will qualify to get a free model. After all, if you qualify for Lifeline, you can apply for a free 5G model via the ACP facility.
Besides those programs, here are additional others that can make you eligible via the ACP facility:
- Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children(WIC)
- You received a Federal Pell Grant in the current award year
- You are a beneficiary of a Free and Reduced Price School Breakfast Program or School Lunch Program, including at the U.S Department of Agriculture (USDA) Community Eligibility Provision schools.
Steps To Get A Free 5G Government Phone
The process of getting a free 5G government phone is not difficult per se. Once you meet your desired Federal program’s eligibility status, you can now look out for a carrier that offers that program in you state.
To locate a Lifeline or ACP carrier that operates in your state, click www.affordableconnectivity.gov/companies-near-me/ and then key in your ZIP code, city or state. Thereafter, choose your preferred Federal program and then tap on the ‘Search’ button.
You will be directed to a different page where you will see all the carriers that offer your selected Federal program. Depending on your state, review the list and choose your preferred Lifeline or ACP carrier. After making your selection, visit the carrier’s official website to know more about its Lifeline or ACP facility.
Step 1: Establish eligibility
When it comes to eligibility requirements, you should ensure that your income stands at or is below 135% or 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. Additionally, you can qualify for a free model from the government if you are a beneficiary of a government assistance program.
Step 2: Gather your documents
Before you start the actual application process, make sure that you gather documents that can help prove your identity and eligibility status. To prove your identity, you ought to submit copies of the following documents during the application process:
- U.S driver’s license
- Green card
- Permanent resident card
- Certificate of Naturalization or U.S Citizenship
- Birth certificate
- Government-issued, state, military or Tribal ID
- Mortgage or lease statement
- Utility bill
- W-2 or tax return document
To prove that your income stands at or is below 135% or 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines, make sure that you attach a copy of any of these documents to your free 5G government phone application form:
- Unemployment or Workmen’s Compensation statement of benefits
- Social Security statement of benefits
- Retirement or pension statement of benefits
- Current income statement from your employer
- Paycheck stub
- Tribal or Federal notice letter of participation in General Assistance
- Veteran Administration statement of benefits
- Prior year’s Federal, state or Tribal tax return
- Any other document that can show your current income levels.
In case you are a beneficiary of a government assistance program, ensure that you submit a copy of any of the following documents during the application process;
- Benefit verification letter
- Approval letter
- Statement of benefits
- Benefit award letter
- School documentation
Step 3: Start your application
Having met the eligibility requirement and gathered the necessary documents mentioned above, the next step is to kickstart the actual application process. Thankfully, you are at liberty to apply for a free 5G government phone via 3 main methods. These include:
Submit Your Application Online
Suppose you want to apply for Lifeline online, click getinternet.gov/apply?id=nv_home&ln=RW5nbGlzaA%3D%3D. Thereafter, choose your state and then tap on the ‘Get Started’ button. You will be redirected to a different page where you will see an online application form.
On the other hand, if you want to apply for a free model via ACP, visit getinternet.gov/apply?awsl=link-from-how-to-apply&id=acp&ln=RW5nbGlzaA%3D%3D.
Whether you choose Lifeline or ACP as your ideal Federal program, the next step is to fill in the application form. Enter your details as required and then attach soft copies of your personal and eligibility documents to the free 5G government phones application form. Once you are done, submit your application for consideration.
Submit Your Application Via mail
Unlike other methods, this one entails the use of physical Lifeline or ACP forms in order to make your application. If you want to apply for a free 5G phone via Lifeline program, visit lifelinesupport.org/wp-content/uploads/documents/get-lifeline/LI_Application_NVstates.pdf and then download that application form. After downloading the Lifeline application form, print its hard copy.
If you want to apply for a free 5G model via ACP, click affordableconnectivity.gov/wp-content/uploads/ACP-Application-Form-English.pdf and download the Affordable Connectivity Program application form. Once you are done, print the form so that you can have it in its physical form.
Suppose you choose to apply for a free 5G government phone via the ACP facility, you need to download a Household Worksheet. To access this document, click affordableconnectivity.gov/wp-content/uploads/lifeline/images/ACP-Household-Worksheet-English.pdf .
Once you have these documents at hand, fill them with your details as required. Remember to attach copies of your personal and eligibility documents to the application form and then mail it to Lifeline/ACP Support Center via this address; PO Box 9100, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18773.
Step 4: Find a participating provider and signup for your free phone
Once your Lifeline or ACP application has been approved by the National Verifier, you can now go ahead and look out for a carrier that operates in your state and then sign up for a free phone. When signing up for a free phone, you will be required to visit the carrier’s official website and then key in your ZIP code. Thereafter, click on the ‘Apply Now’ or ‘Get Started’ button.
By clicking any of those buttons, you will access the actual application form. Key in your details as needed and then attach soft copies of your personal and eligibility documents to the application form. Check and confirm that all the details are right and then click on the ‘Submit’ button.
Step 5: Check the Application Status
For most carriers, you are at liberty to check your free 5G government phones application either online or via the customer support team. To check your application’s status online, consider visiting your carrier’s official website and then sign into your online account.
However, if you want to check it on phone, contact your carrier’s customer support team and enquire about the fate of your application. Either way, you will get the answers that you need and know the way forward.
Step 6: Getting Application Approval for Free 5g Government Phones
Your application for Free 5G government phones might be immediate if you applied online. However, there are instances when it might take a few days if the carrier has to verify copies of your personal and eligibility documents. If you want to get fast approval, consider applying for a free 5G government phone online.
Steps to Activate Your 5G Government Phones
Once you receive your free 5G government phone, the next step is to activate it. To activate it, follow the following steps and you will be all set:
- Unbox the free 5G phone and separate it from its accessories.
- Charge the phone first to full capacity
- Insert the SIM card that came with the device.
- Power your 5G phone and then follow the prompts that will pop up on your screen.
- Within a few minutes, your 5G free phone will be activated.
- You can then use the model to make calls, text your friends, surf the internet using cellular data and so much more.
Others Benefit You Will Receive with Free 5G Government Phones
The 5G free government phone comes with the following other benefits;
- You will be able to enjoy 5G network within your locality
- You will get free monthly data, calls and texts that allows you to connect with those whom you love
- It allows you to work online
- The free 5G government phone allows you to learn from the comfort of your home.
- It allows you to access emergency healthcare services.
- The free model allows you to surf the internet, play mobile games, watch movies, stream online contents and so much more. As a result, the model will keep you entertained during your free time.
- Once you get the free model, you will have a good opportunity to look for better job opportunities online.
- The model allows you to order different items online and enjoy more convenience.
Common Reasons of Your Free 5G Government Phones Application Rejection
Some of the reasons why you might fail to get a free 5G government phone include:
- You are not 18 years and above
- You do not live in a state where your Lifeline or ACP carrier operates
- You keyed in the wrong details during the application process.
- Failure to attach copies of your personal and eligibility documents to the application form.
- You uploaded blur copies of your personal and eligibility documents during the application process.
- Your income is above 135% or 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
- You are not a beneficiary of a government assistance program.
To ensure that your application sees the light of day next time, make sure that consider the following ideas:
- Ensure that you live in a state where ACP or Lifeline carrier offers its services.
- Be 18 years and above.
- When making your application, ensure that you enter the right details.
- Remember to attach clear copies of your personal and eligibility documents to the application form.
- Ensure that your income stands at or is below 135% or 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
- Be a participant of a government assistance program.
Can Existing 4G Phones Be Upgraded To 5G?
Technically, your current or existing 4G will continue working on the 5G network as usual. However, they will not get the coveted blazing speed 5G phones usually have as far as internet speed is concerned. Remember that 5G is not a new network. It is just that 5G network allows devices to be faster when accessing the internet while lowing the latency and increasing the bandwidth.
Your 4G device will work just fine, even on a 5G network. However, if you want to get optimal results in terms of latency, bandwidth, and internet speeds, purchasing a 5G device might be the ultimate solution for you.
How do you know your current area has 5G coverage?
If your area enjoys 5G coverage, trust that you will see the 5G symbol on your phone’s network signal bars. Once you move to an area that does not enjoy 5G network, you might see other symbols such as ‘4G’ or even ‘3G’ near the signal bar of your 5G phone.
Can I get a free 5G phone when I switch?
Yes. If you make a switch, you might be lucky to get a free 5G model depending with your service provider.. After all there are certain carriers that allow you to get such a model free of charge after switching to their network.
How long will it take to receive my free 5G government phone?
Depending on where you live and the phone’s availability, you can trust that you will get the model within a period of 5 and 10 business days.
Is it possible to use my free 5G government phone with another carrier?
No. Since the model will be locked to your preferred Lifeline or ACP carrier, you have to unlock it first and then establish if it can work well with the other service provider.
How long does it take for my preferred carrier to approve my free 5G government phone application?
If you apply for a free 5G government phone via the online method, the approval might be immediate. However, if you use the mail method, the process might take a few days.
Are 5G Government Phones available in all states?
No. 5G government phones are only in those states that enjoy Lifeline, Lifeline + ACP or ACP facility. Therefore, you can check with your carrier whether you can get a free 5G phone in your state or not.
Can I keep my old phone number when getting a 5G Government Phone?
Yes. However, you should reach out to your selected Lifeline or ACP carrier and make enquiries about the same. In case your carrier allows you to keep your old phone number, you will be good to go.
Is it possible to replace my free 5G government phone?
Yes. However, you need to reach out to your selected Lifeline or ACP carrier and then let them know that you want to replace your phone. Depending on your phone’s situation, you will be guided on the way forward.
Can I upgrade my free 5g government phone to a newer model?
Yes or no depending with your preferred ACP or Lifeline carrier’s policies. For more information, reach out to the carrier’s customer support team and make some enquiries.
Can I switch from one 5G Government Phone plan to another?
Yes. It is possible for you switch from one 5G government phone plan to another.
How Many Free Government 5g Phones Can One Family Get?
One family or household is entitled to just one free government 5G phone at a time.
What if I already have a phone and just need free internet? Can I still apply for the program?
Yes. If you just need free internet for you to be connected, note that you can apply for the Lifeline or ACP facility. Whether you apply for Lifeline or ACP facility, you will enjoy discounted cell phone rates and thus save more.
Is there a limit to how many times I can apply for Free 5g government phones?
Well, if you have obtained your free model, you will not be allowed to apply for a free 5G phone again. However, if your application was rejected, you can try to make another application and see how it goes.
Are there any hidden fees or charges with free 5g government phones?
No. fortunately, the process of getting free 5G government phone is completely free and comes with no hidden fees or charges.
What if I move to a different state? Can I still use my free government phones?
Well, if the state enjoys your Lifeline or ACP carrier services, you will be free to use your free government phone. However, if the state does not enjoy your selected carrier’s services, you might have to unlock your device and switch to another service provider.