Flip phones were simple, ordinary, and cheap cell phones that existed back in the day. These phones were built with limited specs and focused on basic features like text capabilities, lasting battery, quality call, ease of use, and reasonable pricing. Basically, they were simple phones that relied on 2G network capabilities. Although these phones are outdated, some users are still nostalgic about them.
Are you craving for your old, good flip phone days? Fret not. This is because flip phones have made their comeback in the market, this time big and better. Unlike the bygone days, current flip phones are fused with old-days features and modern smartphone features creating a new and upgraded experience. With 5G flip phones, expect high-quality cameras, sufficient storage capacity, and the fifth-generation (5G) cellular network technology. This is the most recent and advanced network technology offering cellphone users high-quality services. Moreover, 5G flip phones allow users to enjoy access to the latest apps and other features like high-speed downloads, uploads, and low latency compared to other types of flip phones. Since 5G flip phones are not as common in the market, we did thorough research and came up with a comprehensive guide on the best models to consider alongside other important ideas.
Difference Between 4G And 5G Cell Phones
4G phones are the type that uses fourth-generation mobile network technology to connect to the internet. 4G phones succeeded 3G types with a higher browsing speed and enhanced bandwidth. On the other hand, 5G phones use the fifth-generation mobile network technology that is slowly taking over 4G phones. Other differences between these two cellphones are as explained below:
1. Difference in speed
Although 4G and 5G network generations have reflected a significantly high network speed, 5G cellular network technology speed is higher than 4G. 5G internet speed has enhanced with up to 100x higher than 4G. That means the movie that took up to 7 minutes to download with your 4G phone can take up to 6 seconds to download with your 5G phone. Therefore, 5G phones are faster, which helps to save time with more exciting possibilities than 4G phones.
2. Difference in latency
One of the intents of a new generation network is to offer lower latency than the former. Latency is the duration a signal takes to go from the internet source to the recipient device. The same applies to 5G generation network that has a lower latency compared to 4G. 5G phones allow you to tether, browse and open a webpage faster than 4G. Therefore, 5G phones are considered more suitable for hotspots compared to 4G.
3. Capacity difference
5G phones are capable of holding a high amount of traffic at a particular time compared to 4G phones. Therefore, 5G phones have enhanced internet capacity with an ability to deliver up to 100x more.
4. Bandwidth difference
Another difference between 5G and 4G is increased bandwidth in 5G than the latter. Therefore, 5G phone users have an added advantage of faster connection with more bandwidth compared to 4G users.
8 Best 5G Flip Phones Seniors In 2023
Unlike the yesteryears flip phones that only have basic features, the modern flip phones come with a cutting technique that will mesmerize you. Since there are many of these models out there, we shall take a closer look at some of the best models you should invest in this year. They include:
1. Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 3 5G
Samsung is known to manufacture high-quality, pricy phones. However, the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 3 5G is quite different as it comes with a stylish folding design and is more affordable than its counterparts in the market. Here are some of the features that make this model great:
- It comes with a 6.7 inch Dynamic AMOLED display that has a refresh rate of 120HZ.With these features in place, you will not only have a large screen display to play games, and stream videos online but also enjoy a smooth experience when using the phone. Apart from the 6.7 inch screen display, the model boasts of having a 1.9 inch Super AMOLED panel that works magic when it comes to checking notifications, social media updates, weather updates and so forth, without essentially having to flip your phone.
- The model comes with an internal storage of 256 GB and an 8GB ROM. With this kind of storage capacities, be sure that you will not only have ample space to store your favorite files but also be able to multitask seamlessly. It is imperative to note that model is powered by Snapdragon 888 processor and runs on Android 11/One UI 3.1
- When it comes to the camera section, the model does not disappoint as it comes with dual rear cameras at the back, which are 12MP each. On the front side, the phone come with 10MP camera that is good enough to take decent selfies.
- As far the battery section is concerned, this phone is an ideal option for you as it comes with a 3000 mAh battery that can last for several hours without being charged.The phone allows you to connect to 5G networks, thanks to fact that it is 5G enabled.
- The model is waterproof
- It is very affordable
- The phone comes in customizable colors
- It has a stunning design
- Some customers complained about durability concerns
2. Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G
Announced in August 2021, this model is one of the best flip phones you should invest in this year. This can be attributed to the fact that it comes with a portable, foldable design. Besides this, it comes with an S Pen and a couple of multitasking features that will amaze you. Here are the features that make the model worth the money:
- Unlike its counterparts, this phone comes with a bigger screen display, which is 7.6 inches in size. The screen in large enough for you to play games, stream your favorite videos, visit various websites and so forth. Besides this, the phone comes with a cover display which is 6.2 inches in size. Just like the main display this one is large enough for you see the various notifications on your phone.
- As far as its OS is concerned, this model runs on Android 11 and can be upgraded to Android 12, One UI 4.1, over time. Apart from this, it powered by a Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 8885g processor.
- When it comes to the memory section, this device is worth the money as it comes with a 256 GB internal memory and a 12GB RAM. With such storage in place, this model is ideal for storing various files without necessarily having to expand its current storage capacity. On the other hand, a higher RAM allows you to move from one app to another seamlessly. Generally, this phone will hardly hang whenever it is in use.
- Unlike other conventional models this one boasts of having 3 cameras at the back and a Flash light to enable you to take high quality photos at night. Each of these cameras is 12 MP. On the front, the phone comes with a 4MP front camera and a 10 MP selfie camera on the cover display.
- The phone is also 5G-enabled and thus can enable you browse the internet fast and seamlessly.
- Finally, the phone comes with a 4400 mAh non-removable battery that can store charge for several hours without getting depleted.
- The phone is built to last for ages
- It is water resistant
- The device supports more optimized foldable apps
- It has an S Pen for drawing, taking notes and even navigating your phone
- The phone comes with improved multitasking features.
- Some customers said that it was bulky when closed
3. Motorola Razr 5G
Are you looking for a streamlined phone that comes in a stylish folding design? Look no further as the Motorola Razr 5G is the ultimate device for you. Unlike other flip phones, this one is packed with tons of features that will mesmerize you. Some of these features include:
- To start with, it comes with a screen size of 6.2 inches. With this screen display in place, be sure that you will have an easy time watching videos, playing games, and so forth. Besides this, it comes with an outer display that is 2.7 inches. The good news is that this screen interface will help you know that you have a notification on your phone that you should attend to, among other functions.
- It comes with an internal storage of 256 GB, which is large enough to store all your favorite files. From photos to documents, there is an array of files that you can store in this device. Apart from this, the phone comes with an 8GB ROM and is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 765 G processor. With this kind of RAM and processor, this phone can hardly hang whenever it is in use.
- As far as the camera section is concerned, this phone comes with a Dual-led flash camera which has 48 MP. When it comes to the front camera, this phone boasts of having a 20 MP camera for decent and clear selfies.
- The mobile phone is 5G enabled and thus can allow you to connect to the internet fast.
- Finally, the phone is powered by a 2800mAh non-removable battery that can store charge for many hours. Consequently, you will not have to charge your mobile device every now and then.
- The model is pocket friendly
- Excellent build phone
- Sleek design
- Compact when closed
- The model has secure hinges
- The phone has a quick view display functionality.
- Some users complained about the battery life
4. Galaxy Z Flip3 Bespoke Edition
The above-mentioned model comes with a radical redesign and has a tougher finish. In fact, it comes with water resistance capabilities that make it worth the investment. It is also available in an array of customizable color options. Therefore, you will not miss a model to meet your color needs. Here are the various features that make this model unique:
- If you like a phone with a large screen display, this model is the ultimate solution for you as it comes with a 6.7 inches screen display. Besides this, it comes with a cover display that is 1.9 inches in size. With the latter in place, you will not have to flip the phone in order to see the various notifications you have received at a given time.
- As far as the OS is concerned, this model runs on Android 11, which can easily be upgrade to Android 12, One Ul 4.1.
- The model boasts of having an internal memory of 128GB and a RAM of 8GB.These features makes it ideal for those who use their phone to carry out various tasks, besides the ordinary ones such as calling, texting and browsing the internet.
- This model is also 5G enabled. If you cannot access the 5G network, you can switch to 4G LTE or even HSPA network connectivity and still be able to browse the internet fast.
- The phone comes with a single 10 MP front camera that allows you to take fairly decent selfies anytime you please. On its rear side, the device comes with a dual 12 MP camera and a LED flash light. The latter feature allows you to take high quality photos even at night.
- When it comes to the battery section, this model does not disappoint as it comes with a Li-Po 3300 mAh non-removable battery. With this battery in place, be sure that you will not have to charge the battery every now and then.
- The model comes with a stunning design
- It is water resistant
- Very affordable
- It has customizable colors
- The model keeps your data safe from malware, thanks to its Knox security system
- No slot for SD card
5. Microsoft Surface Duo 2 5G
Compared to its folding-screen rivals, this one looks more like a tiny convertible computer. However, it is relatively cheaper and thus ideal for those operating on a budget but would like to have a stylish flip phone.
Typically, once you flip this phone, you will be staring at two windows simultaneously. However, this phone is unique as it does not have a real external display, like its counterparts. Here are some of the spectacular features that make this phone great:
- To start with this phone comes with 2 screen displays that are 8.3 inches each in size. Just like we have mentioned above, this phone does not have a cover display like its peer flip models.
- It runs on Android 11 and is powered by Qualcomm SM8359 Snapdragon 888 5G processor.
- When it comes to the memory section, this phone does not have a slot to insert an SD card. However, this model comes with an internal memory of 128GB and an 8GB RAM. With this storage capacities in place, your phone will have adequate space to store your favorite photos, videos, documents and so forth. On the other hand, the 8GB RAM makes it possible to enjoy smooth experience when using his mobile device.
- As far as the camera section is concerned, this model comes with 3 cameras at the back. Two of them are 12 MP each and the other one is 16 MP. There is also a dual-LED dual-tone flash feature that enables you to take high quality photos even in places that have low light intensities. On its front side, it boasts of having a 12 MP camera that allows you to take high quality selfies anytime you please.
- The mobile device is also 5G enabled and thus ideal whenever you surf the internet. All you need to do is to connect to a 5G network and you will be good to go.
- Finally, the phone comes with a 4449 mAh Li-Po battery which is reliable enough to store charge for many hours without having to getting depleted.
- Excellent multitasking ability
- Unlike other models, this one comes with a head-turning, futuristic design
- It comes with a useful pen support
- Flexible hinge that is ideal for playing games and reading
- It is thin and well-built
- Offers its users a smooth scrolling experience
- Some users complained about buggy and inconsistent software
6. Huawei Mate Xs 5G
Gone and never to come are the days that Huawei used to make conventional design phones. Currently, it is making foldable models that are sturdily built. As a result, you will not only have an impressive phone but one that can stand the test of time. Even without Goggle’s framework, this model still has incredible features. These include:
- It comes with an 8 inches screen display and a 6.6 inches folded cover display.
- The model runs on Android 10 and does not have Google Play services
- It has 3 cameras at the back, which are 40 MP, 8 MP AND 16 MP respectively. There is also a dual-LED dual-tone flash light that allows you to take high quality photos even at night. Unfortunately, the model does not have a selfie camera.
- When it comes to the storage section, this phone boasts of having an internal memory of 512 GB and an 8GB RAM.
- As far as its network connectivity is concerned, this device can readily connect to 5G, 4G LETW, GSM and HSPA networks.
- It comes with a 4500 mAh whose capacity is large enough to store charge for several hours without getting depleted.
- Great level of usability
- Excellent charging speeds
- It quickly transforms to a typical smartphone once you fold it
- Quad camera makes it one of the best folding camera phone till date
- It does not support the Google’s framework, thus no Google Play support.
7. Nokia Flip 5G
Since it was released in the market on November 30th, 2021, this phone has gained popularity among Nokia lovers. After the arrival of sleek devices such as Galaxy Zfold 3, Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 3, and Xiaomi Mi Mix Fold, Nokia also decided to join the bandwagon in producing awe-inspiring products such as the Nokia Flip 5G. Here are some features that make this model exceptional:
- This model comes with a 8 inch screen display
- It has an 8GB RAM and a 128 ROM
- To make it fast in its operations, this phone is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 processor
- It comes with a 5000 mAh battery. With this battery in place, your phone will retain its charge for the better of the day without prompting you to charge it.
- The model boasts of having a 48 MP rear camera and a 16 MP front camera
- Finally, the device allows you to connect to the 5G networks, thanks to its ability to connect to such networks.
- Comes in a neat. Stylish design
- It is compatible with a number of Google apps, including WhatsApp
- Connects to the internet fast
- Smooth user experience
- It has great cameras, both the front and the rear cameras.
- Some users say that it might be an expensive model
8. LG Terra Basic Flip Phone (VN210) 5G
As its name suggests, this model is a basic flip phone from LG. Since it comes with basic features, it is the ideal flip phone for seniors or people who are not heavy phone users. However, it looks stylish as it comes with a flip design. Here are some of the features that make this model ideal for you.
- It has a smaller screen display that is 2.4 inches in size
- The model has a 512 MB ROM and a 256 MB RAM
- It comes with a 1.3 MP camera and a dedicated key that makes it easy to take photos anytime you please.
- As far as its network connectivity is concerned, this model can readily connect to CDMA and GSM network. Besides this, it can connect to 5G networks and thus enable you to surf the internet fast.
- Finally, it comes with a battery capacity of 950 mAh which is reliable enough to store charge for several hours without making your device to go off.
- It comes with a compact design
- Ideal for seniors
- It can connect to 5G networks as well as other networks
- No need to carry a charger as it has a long-lasting battery
- No slot for SD card
Does Government Offer Free 5G Flip Phones
The US government is doing everything in their power to make communication services affordable to all citizens regardless of their social status. This is by introducing programs like ACP and lifeline that offer free or discounted phones to eligible households. These programs offer all types of phones from entry-level, midrange to advanced phones depending on your provider, location, and availability. Although it’s impossible to predict the exact type and model of free phone to get from the government, you might be lucky to get a free 5G flip phone subject to availability.
Besides the government, it’s also possible to get discounted or free 5G flip phones from carriers that offer deals for new and existing customers. These are carriers like:
With the 5G era here with us, T-Mobile, the nation’s fastest and largest service provider, is committed to introducing advanced 5G flip phones to fit in their incredible 5G network. The good news is that T-Mobile is now offering these phones at a discounted price through their limited-time deals. For instance, you can get up to $800 discount on galaxy Z Flip 3 5G, galaxy Z Fold3 5G, galaxy Z flip, and galaxy Z fold under T-Mobile trade-in deals for qualified customers.
Recommended Post: How To Get Free 5G Government Phones
This is another type of carrier that gives discounted 5G Flip phones to eligible customers under AT&T deals for new and existing customers. With AT&T, you can get a discount of up to $800 on galaxy Z Fold3 5G and galaxy Z Flip3 5G when you trade in an eligible smartphone.
Verizon is another reliable carrier that gives free 5G flip phones to qualified customers. Through Verizon wireless buy one get another deal, you can get flappable smartphones like Samsung galaxy Z Fold 3 5G and Samsung galaxy Z Flip 3 5G.
Features To Look at Before Buying a 5G Flip Phone for Senior
When you go shopping for your 5G flip phone, you will come across several brands and models in the market. Consequently, you should have important factors to guide you in making the right choice. Here’s a breakdown of all important factors to consider when picking the best 5G flip phone.
- Carrier compatibility: One of the most important factors to consider when getting your 5G flip phone is the ability to work with many carriers. In this case, always ensure that your phone of choice is unlocked and not tied to a specific carrier. The convenience of selecting an unlocked phone is incredible. First of all, it gives you the freedom or flexibility of switching service providers any time you feel like. Unlocked phones are also free from contracts. Therefore, your ideal 5g flip phone should be unlocked.
- Consider its battery life: 5G flip phones are designed with two screens that are both active. As a result, these phones consume much energy. This requires your phone to hold extra charge to keep it running throughout the day. Without a lasting battery, your flip phone won’t be as effective as expected. 5G flip phones are also built with three or more antennas to enable effective signal received from the 5G cellular tower. Attributed to many antenna and beamforming to enhance data recipient, 5G flip phones consume a lot of energy. Therefore, you should always ensure your 5G flip phone of choice has high battery capacity.
- Screen: As stated, 5G flip phones are built with two different screens. The larger internal screen is ideal for playing games and watching videos. The smaller front screen is meant for showing notifications, media updates, missed calls, time, and weather updates among others. Since both screens have roles to play, they should have a clear and quality display. Also, ensure your 5g flip phone of choice has a strong, durable, and scratch-resistant screen. This protects it from keys or other sharp objects in your bag or pocket.
- Coverage: Since the 5G network is new in the market, it has limited coverage. In fact, this network has been embraced by few mobile service providers with its coverage limited across the states. As a result, you should ensure your area has 5G network coverage before getting a 5G flip phone.
Frequently Ask Questions
How Much Is Faster 5G Than 4G?
5G is the most recent wireless generation that offers unmatched internet speed. This new technology operates with a faster speed of 10x to 100x compared to 4G LTE speed. However, note that 5 G speed varies depending on your location and service provider.
Is It Possible To Upgrade My 4G Flip Phone To 5G?
It’s possible to upgrade your 4G flip phone to 5G. However, your phone is upgradable on a number of conditions. These are:
- Your 4G phone must be compatible with 5G network.
- Must be enrolled in a 5G plan
- The user must live in a 5G enabled area.
If your phone is eligible, you can upgrade to 5G by opening “settings” > ‘”connections”> “mobile network”> “network mode”. In your phone’s network mode, switch from 4G to 5G.
Is There A 5G flip phone On iPhone?
Unfortunately, there are no 5G flip phones from Apple at the moment. However, there are speculations that Apple might launch their 5G flip phones within the next two years. While all iPhones released in the past have a history of trouncing android phones, we expect apple 5G flip phones to over strip the already existing flip phones by far.
Does Kyocera Have A 5G Flip Phone?
No. currently, there is no 5G flip phone from Kyocera. But, Kyocera has a foldable smartphone known as Kyocera echo. This phone boasts of exciting features like quality camera, lasting battery, and sufficient storage. Nevertheless, it doesn’t support 5G network.
Does 3G flip phones work with 5G?
No, 3G flip phones do not work with 5G network. 3G phones are only compatible with 4G and 3G network. However, 4G flip phones can work with 5G.
Is The Alcatel Go Flip 3 A 5G Phone?
No. Alcatel go flip 3 is a 4G LTE type of phone. Albeit not 5G, Alcatel go flip 3 is an amazing phone that features high memory capacity of 512 MB and a lasting 1350 mAh battery.
Does Google Pixel Have Foldable 5G Phones?
No. Currently, google pixel has no foldable 5G phones. However, since the world of foldable phones is gradually expanding, we don’t expect google pixel to be blotted out. In fact, there are rumors that google pixel folds might be launched sooner than later. An alleged leak report suggests that the upcoming google pixel flip phones might be cheaper and more affordable than other flip phones. Since other google pixel phones are inscribed with high-quality cameras, the upcoming google pixel 5g flip phones might follow suit and emphasize camera quality.