Have you ever owned a flip phone before? If you have, then you know how cool they are, right? It might seem strange to see an article about tracfone flip phones in 2020 when most want to own the latest smartphone, however, there are still many areas where good flip phone bits even the best smartphones easily.
Herein we will cover the basic reasons why a person might want to own a flip phone in 2020. We will take a look at the advantages flip phones have over smartphones, what to focus on when buying a flip phone, and why Tracfone might just be the best place to get a flip phones.
Reasons You May Choose Tracfone Flip Phones
In case you are not familiar with Tracfone, let us tell you that it is the biggest no-contract cellphone/wireless provider in the US. Tracfone will never ask you to sign any contract, thus you will be free and not locked into a multi-year deal, Tracfone promises no extra costs aside from their plans – no hidden fees, no activation fees, and no cancellation fees.
On top of that, Tracfone promises unbeatable nationwide coverage as they run on the largest and most dependable networks in America (they use the same networks as all the most reputable carriers). In addition, Tracfone provides its clients with unlimited carryover.
That said, we must point out that Tracfone is not a phone manufacturer, meaning they don’t make their own flip phones or smartphones. They are a wireless provider, also offering smartphones and flip phones at highly affordable prices.
As such, it would be misleading to say that Tracfone’s flip phones are the best because those flip phones are actually either DORO’s, ALCATEL’s, or ZTE’s but more on that later on. Why we dare to say that Tracfone flip phones are the best, is because the devices they offer in combination with their incredible deals provide you with all you need if you are looking for simplicity, long battery life, and highly affordable price, all without being tightened down by a contract.
Flip Phones Vs Smartphones
Let’s get something clear straight away; smartphones are way smarter than flip phones, they enable you to perform tasks that flip phones can’t and there is a reason why ordinary cell phones are also known as ‘dumb’ phones.
If you want to use your phone for the modern activities, such as social media browsing and interacting, email correspondence, photo/video taking and editing, latest games playing, YouTube videos watching, and other non-basic activities, then flip phone is not a device for you.
However, if you are looking for maximum simplicity, longer battery life, and compact design, then a flip phone is what you need. If good old phone calls and texting is what you need your phone for, a flip phone will have you covered.
Here is a list of 10 areas, where flip phones beat smartphones:
- Price: flip phones are extremely cheap these days since the majority of customers want smartphones, you can get NEW flip phones for as little as $10 without signing any contract.
- Convenience: No touch screen, no swiping, no hustle; simply flip-open your phone to answer and then close it to finish the call. It is that simple. Not to mention that texting on classic dial pad is a lot simpler, especially for those with larger or wider fingers or ladies with long fingernails.
- Battery life: Every smartphone’s battery will last a day or maybe two (when completely new) but a flip phone can carry you up to a week or even more. This makes flip phones incredibly practical for traveling.
- Disconnected Life: In this modern-day life, where many of us spend way too much on computers, it can be more than refreshing to skip the part when we spend hour browsing on a smartphone. If you want to disconnect a bit, a flip phone is a way to go.
- Durability: Even the most compact smartphones find it rather difficult to survive a fall. People worry about dropping their phones too much. With flip phones’ you can relax. Their compact built makes them tough and highly durable. They easily survive standard 4-feet drops and you definitely won’t crack the display as it is cover by the phone itself.
- Simplicity: It doesn’t get much simpler than flip phones. When it comes to dialing and calling they are the best. They do also offer surprisingly a lot of options and additional tool if you decide to use them.
- Size: Basically all flip phones are built in a pocket-size. Since they fold, they can be at least twice as small as a typical smartphone, yet still offer a larger dial.
- Privacy: In most cases, flip phones are not constantly connected and thus don’t send your information back and forth across the internet.
- Secure: There are many incidents of hacking attacks on smartphones, while there are basically no hackings of flip phones, as they normally don’t store or have the ability to share personal information.
- Call performance and quality: Smartphone place calls rather low on their priority list. On the other hand, you can always expect clear and loud calls on flip phones.
Best Tracfone Flip Phones
Currently, Tracfone offers only 3 different models of flip phones. We will cover all of them in detail below.
1. DORO (D7050TL)
- SPEED: 4G LTE
- USAGE TIME: Up to 11 hours
- DISPLAY: Internal display is 2.8 inches
- STORAGE: 512MB RAM /4 GB ROM
- CAMERA: 2 MP Rear Camera/Video Recorder
- DIMENSIONS: 4.2” (H) x 2.2” (W) x 0.8” (D) inches
DORO is an elegant 4G LTE flip phone with an external display to enable you a quick view and takes the need of opening the phone to check if you have any unanswered calls or texts. Also enables you super easy calling, video messaging and photo sharing thanks to its widely separated, high contrast keys and a large 2.8-inch screen.
DORO is currently discounted from $69.99 to $49.99.
2. ALCATEL MYFLIP™ (A405DL)
- SPEED: 4G LTE
- USAGE TIME: Talk time up to 6.5 Hrs
- DISPLAY: 2.8” QVGA (320×240) TFT-TN Display
- STORAGE: Internal Memory 512MB RAM + 4GB ROM
- CAMERA: 2MP FF camera 60° angle camera
- DIMENSIONS: 4.13” x 2.08” x 0.74” inches
The Alcatel MYFLIP™ is more than just a basic phone. It delivers the essential features to be productive – including access to email, calendar, and web at 4G speeds (in case you find the need for these advanced features). It has a highly durable and compact flip phone design. The Alcatel MYFLIP™ delivers the essential features to get things done easily and fast. Preloaded with web, email and calendar apps to be productive when you’re out and about.
NEW ALCATEL MYFLIP is currently available at $19.99.
Tracfone also offers a reconditioned version of Alcatel MYFLIP, which normally goes for $9.99 is now available for FREE.
3. ZTE Z233 VL
- SPEED: 4G LTE
- USAGE TIME: Talk time up to 8 Hrs
- DISPLAY: 64k colors Display
- STORAGE: Internal Memory up to 4 GB (device only)
- CAMERA: 2MP camera
- DIMENSIONS: 4.2” (H) x 2.1” (W) x 0.7” (D) inches
Small and compact, the Z233VL can easily be carried in your pocket. Simply flip open the phone to answer a call, and close it when you’re done – simplicity at its finest. It offers an impressive battery life that will last for days (that is, of course, if you don’t plan to have long talks). The ZTE Z233VL also offers a camera with a dedicated key, and just the right features to capture some memorable moments. Don’t forget that this is a flip phone, so the camera is rather basic, yet still good enough to create some long-lasting memories.
NEW ZTE Z233 VL is currently discounted from $19.99 to $9.99. Tracfone also offers a reconditioned version of ZTE Z233 VL, which normally goes for $9.99 is now available for FREE.
The reasons listed above may be more than enough for many of us to consider switching back to dumb phones or having one as a back-up or for times when we want to disconnect slightly, enjoy longer battery life, and more freedom.
To add Tracfone’s incredibly affordable deals on top of that, you will realize that Tracfone flip phones might actually be the best option available on the market. Let’s have a look at the no-contract deals available for flip phones at Tracfone.
TRACFONE Basic Phone Plans:
|1500 minutes (1500 min talk, 1500 texts, 1.5 GB data)||$199.99||365 Days||–|
|1500 minutes (1000 min talk, 1000 texts, 1 GB data)||$159.99||365 Days||–|
|400 minutes (400 min talk, 400 texts, 0.4 GB data)||$99.99||365 Days||–|
|450 minutes (450 min talk, 450 texts, 0.45 GB data)||$79.99||90 Days||$71.99|
|200 minutes (200 min talk, 200 texts, 0.2 GB data)||$39.99||90 Days||$35.99|
|120 minutes (120 min talk, 120 texts, 0.12 GB data)||$29.99||90 Days||$26.99|
|60 minutes (60 min talk, 60 texts, 60 MB data)||$19.99||90 Days||$17.99|
|30 minutes (30 min talk, 30 texts, 30 MB data)||$9.99||90 Days||$8.99|
Tracfone Service Add-ons
Aside from the plans listed above, Tracfone offers the following add-ons:
- $10 International Long distance:
- Call anywhere in the world, including destinations not covered in your Basic International service, at very low rates.
- Enroll your Global Card§ in Instant Low Balance Refill and we’ll refill it when you reach a low balance of $2.
- Calls must originate from the U.S. No International Roaming. Expires 30 days after your Last Day of Service or 180 days after last use.
- S10: 500 minutes (active for as long as your plan above)
- $10: 1GB data (active for as long as your plan above)
- $5: 1000 texts (active for as long as your plan above)
Looking at the above deals, you can see that Tracfone really offers you a lot of options. And for those of you who are not using their phones for long conversations and expect to get most calls in, you can spend as little as $9.99 for three months, which is $3.33 per month.
NOTE: Tracfone changes this quite often, but as part of their bonuses, they tend to offer to triple the minutes (this means that a 60-minute card would give you 180 minutes of talk, 180 texts, and 180MB of data) as part of the extra deal when a new phone is activated. This offer may apply only to certain phones, thus is best to check with your dealer or online at the time of purchase.
Things To Consider When Buying A Flip Phone
Purchasing a flip phone is way less complex than purchasing a smartphone. With smartphones, you have basically countless options and thus it can be overwhelming to choose the one that will best suit your needs. Not to mention the high prices, at which top-notch smartphones currently go for. Just the low price of flip phones alone makes the purchasing process a lot less stressful.
There are two main reasons why people still decide to purchase flip phones – LOW PRICE and SIMPLICITY. Which one is true for you?
If you are buying a flip phone just because it is a cheaper option but still want as many options that smartphones offer than you must make sure that a flip phone enables you to check emails, browse the web, take solid photos/videos and easily send them to your friends and family. The irony, in this case, is that in order to have all of the just-mentioned functions in a flip phone, you will have to pay slightly more and will still end up with fewer options than you would if you go with an entry-level smartphone.
Thus, we advise you to focus on flip phones mostly when you are looking for simplicity. SIMPLICITY and COMPACT design are what flip phones really stand out by. As such it is no wonder they are often seniors’ first choice.
In line with the previous paragraph, we advise you to focus on simplicity and quality-build when buying a flip phone. It should have a large-enough dial pad to comfortably accommodate your finger size and a screen that suits your needs. Tracfone For seniors, it is a must to have the option of making the font large enough.
The one thing that can be a problem when considering a flip phone, is a flipping mechanism. Sometimes a mechanism fails soon, which can affect the basic functions of the phone. Thus is best to go with the models, that have been on the market for some time.
All Tracfone’s flip phone models meet all of the above-presented criteria and are very good options for those of you looking for a reliable and durable flip phone with maximum simplicity.
Places You Can Buy A Flip Phone
Despite the fact that smartphones are what most customers are currently after when purchasing a cellphone, most wireless providers still have flip phones available. Thus, you can visit any wireless provider’s local store or online store to see which flip phone models are currently available.
If you decide to go with any of the above-described Tracfone’s flip phone models, you can easily purchase them online. Visit “https://shop.tracfone.com/shop/en/tracfonestore/phones”, select the flip phone you like best and complete the purchase online.
With Tracfone, you can also purchase their non-contract deals online. As per the above section, you know that you can get a free refurbished flip phone completely FREE of charge, which might be of interest to those of you looking to get the most affordable deal.
The guideline may help you to know: how does Tracfone work
We did our best to present you with Tracfone’s options when it comes to flip phones. In addition, we have informed you on why flip phones might be a better choice for you than smartphones, what makes Tracfone stand out and what currently available deals are.
We hope you will be able to select the best flip phone for yourself – the one that will make things simple as possible and will last a long time. In case you can’t find a flip phone that you want at Tracfone, you may still buy their deals and use it with a flip phone purchased elsewhere as they offer the ‘Bring Your Own Phone’ option.