Laptops are the best inventions that have occurred in the recent past. A massive revolution of information technology has led to the invention of unimaginable aspects for laptops. Nowadays having a laptop is a necessity and not a luxury to students, especially nursing students. This is because it is vital for doing many of their tasks, for instance, to save their coursework, doing comprehensive researches, doing assignments, writing term papers and essays.
Additionally, nursing students can also communicate with each other and also their professors through e-learning, distance learning, and Tele-conferencing among others. They also create a platform where students can watch educative videos that make them understand simple and comprehensive nursing and medical processes better. Before making a purchasing decision, some keys factors should be considered also there is some opportunity to get free laptop from the government.
Factors To Consider When Buying Laptops For Nursing Students
1. Operating System : This is the mother of all functions on the computer. Its main function is to manage the resources and executive program applications on the computer. Macboook, Apple and Chromebook are the major and most trusted operating systems in the industry.
2. Ram : RAM is also an important factor for nursing students to consider before purcahsing a laptop. It is a form of storage that is used to store temporal files. Therefore, the size of RAM in a computer matters a lot. With a huge RAM the student can multi task and run many applications concurrently. There are two types of storage such as Solid State Drive (SSD) and the Hard Drive Disks (HDD). It is advisable to choose the SSD because it is fast and efficient.
3. The Processor : It is a fact that nobody would love to purchase a slow speed laptop. This is because it causes delay problems during surfing, typing and saving of documents.
4. The Battery : A good laptop should have a long span battery to serve the student for long period in case of power outrage.
5. Portability : For students, the size of the machine in terms of length and weight matters. The laptop should be moderate ad reasonable size to make it easier for the student to carry around in school. Small size is the most suitable ones for ease of carriage.
6. Durability : The type of hardware used will predict the life span of the machine. The device should be durable enough to prevent repair or replacement charges.
7. Cost : Cost is another factor to consider. A students laptop should be cheap and affordable. After doing the research, I came up with a list of best laptops for nursing students.
Best Laptops For Nursing Students
1. Apple Macbook Air
Apple Mackbook Air comes with different size variations adaptability and that the user may prefer to choose from. It is a powerful and efficient Intel core 5 device with 8GB LPDDR3. This will enable the student to do multitasking and run heavy medical software. It has a fast speed processor and an internal storage and a RAM of 128GB and 256 GB respectively. Therefore, the student will not be worried about slow loading of applications, network. Additionally, it has a long life battery with no unpredictable or immediate on or off power. It has a Retina display and a fan that cools the processor when it overheats creating a conducive working environment.
It has a battery lifespan of 12-14 hours; this will give peace of mind to students to work without worries of power shortage. It has small bezels, touch id, T2 security chips, a larger track pad, and a smaller design for easy portability and giving students the chance to perform their tasks without in conveniences.
- It has a screen Size of 13.3 Inches, an internal storage of 128 GB, storage of 128/ 256 GB SSD, a RAM of 8GB DDR3, an intel core i5 5th generation processor and an integrated graphic card. It also has a MAC OS X operating system and an estimated weight of 3 lbs.
- It has a High-performance battery
- It is attractive in looks with a wonderfully build quality.
- It is light-weight.
- Infinity display.
- Low display
2. ASUS VivoBook 14.
This is another budget-friendly laptop that is among the top used laptops by the majority of nursing students. It has an attractive look for students with a plastic and aluminium body and keyword. The laptop comes with an SD card slot, HDMI port and also 2 USB ports. VivoBook is also portable with a lightweight of 1.5 kg. This makes it convenient for students to carry around. Rather than that it has a 10 hr long lasting battery and a 4GB RAM storage. It has a high speed processor and convenient for typing and browsing activities.
- It has a 4GB DDR3 RAM and 128GB storage.
- A 2 USB ports of 2.0 and 3.0
- A light Weight of 1.5kg
- The battery capacity of up to 10 hours and a 14-inch display Fingerprint sensor.
- It is light weight and easily portable to carry around.
- It is cheap and pocket friendly.
- It has a finger print sensor for security purposes.
- It has a bad angle viewing and a high chance of crashing while under a lot of commands or applications.
3. ASUS ZenBook UX330UA-AH55
Are you a student who loves fancy things that are attractive and fun to have? If yes Zen Book is the best solution for you. This laptop is very stylish and portable with less weight compared to most of the laptops. The best part of Zen Book is that it is budget-friendly and affordable to any student, with a budget price of $800 which is fair according to the specification it comes with.
They are modern with the make for core i5 being released in 2016 while core i7 was later released in 2017. Both models are very portable on any college bag with a weight of 2.6 kg. The machine comes with 2USB 2.0 and 3.0, SD card port and HDMI port. Just like some laptops on the above list, ZenBook also has fingerprint feature which is commonly used for security when logging in to a laptop instead of the password. The laptop has an outstanding battery life of 11 hours and uses windows 10 as recommended windows.
The core i7 is the best performing laptop when it comes to speed as most of them use SSD which has great performance at reading and writing. Core i7 is also a good choice for those students who spend a lot of time on computers besides school work like gaming, as the graphics of the machines is highly impressive.
4. Microsoft Surface Pro 4
This is a touchscreen laptop that is light-weighted and easy to carry around. It has a weight of less than 1kg, making it the lightest model in the market. This model is made of magnesium casing that rotates backward and comes with a stylus. The stylus makes it comfortable, thus increasing typing speed and timely finishing of coursework for students. It is highly sensitive for inputs reducing cases, misspelling and omission of words. The 7th generation Intel core5 processor has a storage of 256SSD and 8GB crucial specifications that help in multitasking and handling of heavy software’s needed by nursing students. Also, it has exciting features as one can view the display at any given angle with a high resolution of 2736 * 1824 for user’s vision.
It has a medium battery performance enabling students to attend lessons and do assignments even when there is no power supply.
- It has a Screen Size of 12.5 Inches for easier display.
- It has a Storage of 256GB SSD.
- A RAM of 8GB and a fast speed Processor Intel Core i5 (6th Gen).
- It has an Intel HD graphics and a windows 10 pro operating system.
- It is Very slim and lightweight.
- It has an excellent display.
- It is Perfectly suitable for nursing students with high speed and large storage,
- They are slighly expensive compared to other laptops.
- They have a limited connectivity for browsing purposes.
5. Chromebook 15
More often than not, students experience financial shortcomings. At times a s tudent may go to the shop and realize that he have less cash to purchase a laptop. In that case, Chromebook 15 is the best to consider. It is a very cheap laptop and pocket friendly with a pricing of not more than $250. However, it comes with great viewing angles for those who are affected by angles of the display. The Chromebook 15 comes with 4GB DDR4 RAM, 16GB SSD storage and a high speed processor. has a lot of limitations and can only store small data. Anyone getting this laptop for education purpose is very lucky and should consider this as a great deal. It also has a good performance which works so well without going through any connectivity issues.
As for those students who love entertainment and listening to music on free time, this is the best laptop for them. This is because they have a very loud loudspeaker. ding to the list, Chromebook 15 has the lowest saving battery life of up to 6 hours, however it is recommendable because it is very fair according to the pricing of this laptop. Some of the best advantages are the buying price, impressive performance, and good battery life. The only challenge that comes with this laptop is the portability of this machine as it is slightly heavy.
6. Acer Aspire 5
A student on a very tight budget should consider the acer aspire 5 laptop. It is a high performing and affordable laptop that goes for a cheap amount of $350. Most students may be reluctant to go for this laptop because the price is cheap and even think that the performance is very slow, however the reaction is quite different. This is because the laptop has a good performance and a high storage capacity. The best advantage about it is that the RAM size can be expanded up to 8GB. However, the laptop is heavier than other models on the list. Acer has the best storage capacity of 1TB and can hold a lot of personal data, games, music, videos or notes among others.
- It has a 1TB and RAM size of 4GB DDR4.
- It has a long life battery that goes for 12 hours maximally and a minimum duration of 8 hours.
- Its operating system comes with windows 10 and a display screen of 15.6 inches.
- It has a high speed Intel Core i3 processor.
- It is cheap, affordable and pocket friendly.
- It has a large storage capacity.
- It has a high speed processer convenient for class activities.
- It is heavier to carry around.
7. Microsoft Surface Pro 6
This is among the best laptop for nusring student. It is a touchscreen laptop with a 12.3-inch pixel of display and a high resolution of 2736×1824. Surface Pro comes with features like a great angle display, double-clicking to take a screenshot that is good for students during saving memories for their notes. On the other hand, the battery life cycle goes up to 6 hours on simple things like listening to music and saving data but it goes around 2-hours for those who love gaming or student with heavy programs especially the IT applications for coding. The only disadvantage is the issue of pricing this laptop is slightly expensive compared to others on the list as the lowest price is $750. The model fits the list because it is neither cheap nor expensive, hence the price is not limited to a particular set of students.
- 8GB RAM.
- 256GB SSD 608MB speed for the read and 113MB write speed.
- Battery lifecycle of 6hours and a Screen display 12.3 inch.
I now conclude that students should purchase Microsoft Surface Pro 4 because it has the best specifications. They firstly have a ample storage space for holding heavy soft wares and saving their coursework. Secondly, they have a high battery performance capabilities that can sustain the students needs and providing conducive working environments without any worry of power shortage. Additionally, Intel graphics that are useful in creating a 3D view of organs. lastly, the device has slim and light-weighted features, which makes it easy to carry everywhere. Nevertheless, the device is available at affordable prices.