Besides allowing you to browse the internet, Wi-Fi allows you to make and receive calls. Thankfully, Straight Talk now allows its customers to make Wi-Fi calling to their friends and family. Normal calls rely on cellular signals for you to reach out to the intended recipient on the other end. Although you might be able to make these calls seamlessly, there are instances when you might not be able to reach your friend or family member. This can be attributed to the presence of building materials, geographical features and so forth.
Therefore, if you discover that you cannot make a normal call via Straight Talk cellular network, consider making a Wi-Fi calling. As long as your phone supports Wi-Fi calling and that of your friend has the same characteristic, you will be able to make this call right away. In this article, I’ll take a closer look at how Straight Talk Wi-Fi calling work, how to get started on various models among other ideas.
Wifi Calling – Straight Talk Wireless
Earlier on, Wi-Fi calling was a preserve of social media platform such as Skype. However, this is no longer the case as reputable carriers such as Straight Talk are now offering Wi-Fi Calling to all its customers. All you need to do is to set up this feature on your phone and then get started.
The good news is that both Android and iPhone models support Wi-Fi calling. However, for you to get optimal results, you need to ensure that you have a good Wi-Fi connection. After all, this call relies on your Wi-Fi network so that you can reach the intended person on the other end. Like we mentioned above, Wi-Fi calling is ideal when you cannot make cellular calls.
Although Wi-Fi calls are free, most of these calls will not give you free minutes to use throughout the month. However, these calls allow you to enjoy unparalleled convenience whenever you are in an area that has a poor cellular network coverage and want to make a call to a friend or a family member.
Benefits Of Wi-Fi Calling
Wi-Fi calling offers its users a plethora of benefits. Some of the noticeable benefits include:
- It allows you to save more on your data. This can be attributed to the fact that this call does not rely on mobile data. Instead, it relies on Wi-Fi network that is close to you or within your locality.
- It is more affordable as it does not come with any hidden cost. After all, Straight Talk plan come with this feature. Therefore, you will not be charged extra bucks to enjoy this feature.
- From tablets to smartphones, there are many devices that can be used to make a Wi-Fi call. As long as the device allows Wi-Fi calling, be certain that you will be able to make these calls seamlessly.
- It is ideal whenever you are in an area that has a poor cellular network. Therefore, your voice quality is such areas will still remain top notch quality
- Since your device does not have to search for cellular network every now and then, your phones battery life will be extended in the long run.
- No need for additional logins as this call utilizes your current or existing phone number.
- No need for separate applications. After all, most devices come with the Wi-Fi calling feature.
- It does not need a lot of bandwidth in order to operate. Ideally, a voice call will need about 1MB per minute while the video call needs 6 to 8 MB per minute.
- Wi-Fi calling does not utilize your talk time minutes.
Setup Guideline For Straight Talk Wi-Fi Calling
As stated earlier, you can make a Straight Talk Wi-Fi call on either an Android or iPhone device. The steps that you should follow when using each of the above-mentioned device are different. With that stated, lets now take a closer look at how to make WIFI calling on your straight talk android and iPhone:
If you are using an Android device and would like to make a Straight Talk Wi-Fi call, here are the steps that can help you get started:
- Get your phone ready
- Go to https://e911-reg.tracfone.com and establish if your phone supports Wi-Fi calling. Remember that P.O Boxes are not allowed.
- In case your phone supports the Wi-Fi calling, you can go ahead and enable it from the main screen. Here, you need to click on the ‘Phone’ icon and then click on the ‘Menu’ icon. To locate this feature, look out for the 3 vertical dots on your phone’s screen.
- Click on the ‘Settings’ option. As you do this, ensure that you have enabled the Wi-Fi feature on your phone.
- You will see the Wi-Fi calling feature on your phone’s screen. Switch it on and then click on the ‘Mobile network preferred’, ‘Cellular preferred’, or ‘Wi-Fi preferred’ calling.
- Follow all the prompts that you will see on your screen and you will be able to complete the entire setup.
- Once you are done, press the Home key so that you can return to the main screen.
Setting up the Straight Talk Wi-Fi calling feature on your iPhone device is generally easy and straightforward. Here are the steps that you ought to follow:
- Get your iPhone device ready
- Go to the main screen and then click on the ‘Settings’ icon
- Tap on the notification and then click on the ‘Phone’ option
- Click on the ‘Wi-Fi calling’ feature. As you do this, ensure that you have enabled the Wi-Fi feature on your iPhone.
- Switch on the ‘Wi-Fi calling’ feature.
- Follow the on-screen prompts and you will be able to complete the entire setup
In case you are not able to utilize the Wi-Fi calling feature, even after follow the steps illustrated above, and were not prompted to key in your E911 address, follow these steps in order to get started:
- Go to the ‘Settings’ option and then click on the ‘Phone’ option
- Switch on the ‘Wi-Fi calling’ feature and then choose ‘Update Emergency Address’ option so that you can key in your E911 address.
- By following these steps, you will enable the Wi-Fi calling feature on your iPhone device. However, it is imperative to note that this feature works well in certain areas and on selected phones.
- Once you are done, tap on the Home key so that you can return to the main screen.
My Phone Is Active, But I Don’t Know Whether It Is Capable Of Wi-fi Calling; What Should I Do
If you want to establish whether your phone supports the Wi-Fi calling feature, visit https://e911-reg.tracfone.com. In case your device is capable of Wi-Fi calling, you will receive instructions on how you can enable the Wi-Fi calling feature on your handset. However, if you device is not capable of this feature, you will receive a message on your phone indicating that your device does not support Wi-Fi calling.
List of Phones That Supports Straight Talk Wi-Fi Calling
Straight Talk Wi-Fi Calling is supported on several smartphones, including:
- Apple iPhone SE (2020), iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, X, XR, XS, XS Max, 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max, SE (2nd gen), 12, 12 mini, 12 Pro, 12 Pro Max,13, 13 mini, 13 Pro, 13 Pro Max,14, 14 mini, 14 Pro, 14 Pro Max,
- Samsung Galaxy A10e, A20, A50, J7, J7 Crown, S7, S7 edge, S8, S8+, S9, S9+, S10, S10+, S10e, Note 8, Note 9, Note 10, Note 10+, Note 20, Note 20 Ultra
- Google Pixel 3a, 3a XL, 4, 4 XL, 4a, 4a (5G), 5
- LG Stylo 5, Stylo 6, Stylo 7, Stylo 7 Plus, K51, K61
- Motorola Moto G7 Play, G7 Power, G7 Supra, E5 Play, E5 Plus
- Nokia 3.1 C, 3.2, 3.4, 2.3, 6.2, 7.2
- Alcatel TCL A1X, TCL A2X, TCL LX, 3L
- ZTE Blade A7 Prime, ZFIVE G LTE
This list is subject to change and may not be comprehensive or up-to-date, as new models are being released frequently. To check if your device supports Wi-Fi Calling, please visit the Straight Talk website or contact customer support.
Tips For Straight Talk Wi-Fi Calling Good Performance
If you want to get the most with Straight Talk Wi-Fi calling feature, here are a number of tips that you should consider:
- Ensure that you have a newer model. Thankfully, most newer iPhone and Android devices support this feature
- Ensure that you have a good Wi-Fi connection.
- Your Wi-Fi network should have faster internet speeds. At least, it should have internet speeds of 1Mbps and above.
- In case you want to rely on mobile apps that support Wi-Fi calling feature, consider using Google Voice or Google Hangouts.
- Ensure that you Wi-Fi router is positioned properly. In case there are barriers or obstacles, remove them so that you can enjoy a good Wi-Fi network signal.
- Reset or restart your router so as to get rid of any existing bugs and glitches
- Ensure that your router is well configured
- Look out for updates so that your router gets the latest firmware
- Before you making a Wi-Fi call, switch on the Airplane mode on your phone and then switch it off.