Spectrum, which is a brand of charter communications, is one of the best telecommunication company in the US. The company offers services to millions of customers across 41 states of America. Estimated to be serving more than 25 million customers, this is evident that spectrum is an incredible service provider. This company offers nationwide coverage, affordable plans, and friendly customer care services. Besides, spectrum wireless also collaborated with the government to offer free and discounted lifeline and ACP services to eligible customers.
As far as spectrum ACP is concerned, this company offers the best deals. When you qualify for spectrum ACP, you will be able to enjoy 100 MBPS of speed for free. Therefore, you should choose Spectrum Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) for you to access virtual school work, health care services, online jobs, and virtual business meetings with free high-speed data. However, not all spectrum customers qualify for these benefits. To qualify, you must come from a limited-income household. Before enrolling for spectrum ACP, there are a few things that you should be aware of. These are things like eligibility requirements, types of documents needed, and so forth. Luckily, this article aims to equip you with a broad knowledge about spectrum ACP. To know more, let’s delve in!
Difference Between Spectrum EBB and Spectrum ACP
Before we explore on Spectrum ACP, it’s important to mention that this program was formally known as spectrum EBB (emergency broadband benefit). Spectrum EBB was a limited-time program that offered broadband discounts to eligible customers from May to December of 2021. On 31st of December 2021, this program came to an end and was transitioned to ACP. Although these two programs were both initiated by the federal communications commission to offer discounts on broadband to low-income customers, there are few distinctions between them. Here are the differences:
- The biggest difference or change that happened between these two programs is the amount of discount offered. Under EBB plans, eligible households would receive $50 month discount but was reduced to $30 under ACP.
- Another change that happened between these two programs was on qualification requirements. Spectrum EBB benefits was available to all households with an income below 135% of the federal poverty guideline. This eligibility changed to 200% of the federal poverty guideline under ACP program.
- Finally, it’s true to say that EBB was a limited-time program that served for a very short duration. Although spectrum ACP doesn’t guarantee serving over a lifetime, the program might survive for long because it has enough funding to last for years.
How Affordable Connectivity Program Work with Spectrum
Like stated earlier, Affordable Connectivity Program works with spectrum by providing monthly credits on internet services to qualifying households. Once you qualify for ACP with Spectrum, you will get up to $30 monthly discount to apply towards your internet bills. If you are a qualifying member who reside in tribal lands, you will be luckier to get up to $75 monthly discount to pay your internet bill.
Once you receive your $30 monthly discount, you can apply that discount towards an existing spectrum internet data plan that cost $29.99 per month. This enables you to enjoy the plan for free as long as you retain ACP requirements and the program still exists. The good news is that this program will exist as long as all the allocated fund’s exhausted. That means that the program is likely to last for a long period of time. Note that besides this plan, you can also apply ACP discount to any existing spectrum internet plan and save $30 from the plan’s pricing.
Qualifying Requirements For Enroll Spectrum Affordable Connectivity Program in 2023
Spectrum affordable connectivity program is not available for everyone. The government has limited this program to individuals or members from low-income households. You can also qualify if you participate in government subsidiary programs. Here is how to qualify for spectrum ACP:
1. You can qualify based on your income
This is where you qualify if your total income or that of your household is below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines. To determine your guideline depending on your state, year, and household size, visit FCC’s official website.
2. You can qualify if you participate in government assistance programs
This is where you qualify if you or any member of your household participate in any federal or tribal assistance programs like:
- Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program ( SNAP ) or food stamps
- Supplemental security income or SSI
- Special supplemental program for women, infants, and children or WIC
- Federal public housing assistance or FPHA
- Veterans pension and survivors benefit
- Federal Pell grant
- Free and reduced price school lunch program or school breakfast program.
Tribal land programs
- Bureau of Indian Affairs general assistance
- Head start
- Tribal temporary assistance for needy families or TANF
- Food distribution program on Indian reservations
3. You can qualify if you participate in lifeline
Lifeline is a federal communications commission program that was initiated to make communication services cheaper and affordable to low income households. Since the program benefit low income earners, qualified members are also considered eligible for spectrum ACP.
4. You can qualify through dependents like your child
If any member of your household, be it your child, parent, relative or any other dependent qualify for spectrum ACP, you are also considered eligible for spectrum ACP.
Documents Needed When Apply for Spectrum Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP)
While applying for Spectrum Affordable Connectivity Program either as a new or existing customer, you need to attach documents to confirm program eligibility. Here is a list of documents that you need to apply for spectrum ACP.
- Medicaid benefit award letter
- Supplemental nutritional assistance program approval letter
- Supplemental security income or SSI statement of benefits
- Special supplemental program for women, infants and children benefit verification letter
- Federal public housing assistance approval letter
- Any other official document from your respective program. Note that these documents should have your first and last name, the name of your qualifying program, the name of the entity that issued the document, and future expiration date or issue date that is within the last year.
- Your previous year’s state, federal or tribal tax return
- Social security statements of benefits
- Veterans Administration statement of benefits
- Child support award
- Pension statement of benefits
- Workers’ compensation statement of benefits.
- Birth certificate
- US drivers license
- Certificate of US citizenship
- Green card or permanent resident card
- Utility bill
- Mortgage or lease statement
- Most recent W-2
Now Steps to Enroll in Spectrum Affordable Connectivity Program
Existing spectrum customer
To enroll in Spectrum Affordable Connectivity Program as an existing customer, you have to qualify through the national verifier. To apply:
- Visit “https://www.affordableconnectivity.gov/” and tap on apply now. This will redirect you to the federal communications commission application form.
- Complete the form through filling your legal name, date of month home address and tap on next.
- The next step requires you to attach eligibility documents. Attach the necessary documents, submit the form and wait for approval.
- Once approved by the national verifier, visit spectrum page and complete their ACP online application form “https://buy.spectrum.com/buyflow/buyflow-localization”.
- Sign in to your spectrum account by providing your username and password.
- After application, you will receive your application status through your email address.
If you are a new spectrum customer or considering switching to spectrum, you also need to apply for ACP through the national verifier page. However, you should first determine whether you meet ACP eligibility requirements discussed above. If you meet eligibility, visit the national verifier page, complete the form and get approval.
Once approved, visit Spectrum page and find out whether you qualify for their ACP program. Alternatively, you can call Spectrum customer team on 877-959-1748 or 844-815-8926 for help.
Benefits You Get if You Qualify for the Spectrum Affordable Connectivity Program
After Qualifying for spectrum ACP, you are able to enjoy the following benefits:
- Up to $30 per month discount
- Up to $75 per month if you live in tribal land
- 100 MBPS free high speed data
- No contracts services
- Free in-home WIFI services
- Free modem router
- High speed data with no data caps
- Service cancellation with no penalty
- Access virtual school work, healthcare and job search
Frequently Ask Questions
I am Already an Existing EBB Customer in Spectrum; what Can I Do?
If you are already an Existing EBB customer in Spectrum, worry not because the process of converting to ACP is so easy. In fact, you will continue to receive your benefits with spectrum ACP under a 60-day transition period. However, as you probably know, Spectrum EBB came to an end on the 31st of December 2021. This means that all EBB-qualified customers continue to receive their benefits under ACP up to 1st of match 2022.
After the 60 days transition period, EBB members are required to requalify and reapply to continue receiving ACP benefits. To convert your spectrum EBB to ACP, you should requalify through the national verifier page because 135% EBB income limit is no longer the required limit when it comes to ACP. This means you need to have an income below 200% unlike the 135% income limit in EBB.
If you are confirmed eligible for ACP, Spectrum will now transfer your EBB benefits to ACP. However, as you probably know, your $50 monthly discount will be reduced to $30.
Is the Spectrum Affordable Connectivity Program available in all areas?
Spectrum ACP services are available to more than 40 states in the US. These are states like: New York, Texas, California, Iowa, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Illinois, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Nebraska, Mississippi, Illinois, Georgia, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Colorado, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Illinois, Idaho, Indiana, Florida and California among others.
Can I Have ACP and Lifeline at the Same Time?
Yes. It’s possible to have ACP and lifeline at the same time. As long as you meet lifeline requirements, you can also enjoy ACP benefits as per the directives of the national verifier.
Can I cancel the Spectrum Affordable Connectivity Program at any time?
Yes, you can cancel the Spectrum Affordable Connectivity Program at any time without any early termination fees.
What happens if I move while enrolled in the Spectrum Affordable Connectivity Program?
If you move while enrolled in the Spectrum Affordable Connectivity Program, you can transfer the service to your new address as long as Spectrum offers service in your new area. Contact Spectrum to schedule the transfer.
Can I sign up for the Spectrum Affordable Connectivity Program if I have an outstanding balance with Spectrum?
You can still sign up for the Spectrum Affordable Connectivity Program if you have an outstanding balance with Spectrum. However, you will need to pay off the outstanding balance before you can enroll in the program.
Can I use my own modem and router with the Spectrum Affordable Connectivity Program?
Spectrum Internet customers are required to use an authorized modem to connect to the Spectrum network. For a monthly fee, Spectrum will provide a pre-configured WiFi router. Customers may also choose to use or purchase their own router.
Can I use the Spectrum Affordable Connectivity Program for commercial purposes, such as running a home-based business?
No, the Spectrum Affordable Connectivity Program is only intended for personal, non-commercial use. If you need internet service for commercial purposes, you will need to subscribe to a different plan.
What happens if I move out of my eligible household?
If you are not eligible for ACP, you will be required to cancel the service or opt for an alternative plan. Additionally, relevant necessary documentation shall be submit after a period of 12 months.