SmartPay is a lease-to-own payment company that enables people to buy phones, tablets and make payments later. It came it operation i 2009 and it’s most commonly known for its leasing options of phones. It is technology driven and partners with wireless providers like total wireless, simple mobile, Net10 wireless and straight talk across. Additionally, it partners with prepaid phone providers to give customers leasing options eliminating barriers of acquiring their phones of desire.
SmartPay does not use credit scores to offer services to customers. Consumers may now buy the gadgets they choose and pay overtime on installments. The installments are regular and convenient. This is normally done under the agreement made with the participating partners. Mostly, SmartPay leases free phones allowing you to pay later with no credit check. However, if they do not look at the credit score, those with a good credit score are helpful.
How Does SmartPay Work
SmartPay in-store works out in a simple manner. You need to make sure that you meet the requirements before you start the process. During the application, you normally need to provide a debit or credit card. The card is normally used to make your initial payment. This is according to the lease payment schedule. You may not have to make the following payments in-store. The process is quite simple and involves three main steps.
- Make an application: The first thing you need to do is to make an application. As earlier mentioned, you need to ensure that you have all the details and documents for you to qualify. Always know that the documents you use should be yours. Using documents that are not yours may disqualify your application. On their website, they encourage you to apply with confidence. The application process is quite easy for everyone as long as you meet the requirements.
- Get up to $1,500: SmartPay has instant approval once the application is successful. So, immediately after getting approved, you will get access to $1,500 that you can use to buy phone devices. Besides, you can use it to buy other accessories. Note, SmartPay does not have credit score checks. This is an advantage to those who have negative credit scores.
- Go shopping: Once authorized, look for leases up to the amount of your permission. Your entire cart value, including taxes, must be equal to or less than the amount approved.
- Check out: After you are through with shopping the next step is checking out. When you are ready to check out, select SmartPay throughout the checkout process. It is normally listed on the payment methods. After you select, the link directs you to the SmartPay website. Once you get there, provide the following;
- Enter the email address or mobile phone number that you used to get approval.
- SmartPay will give you a verification code to enter immediately. Make sure that you are quick as the code may expire fast before you enter.
- Make the first payment due today using a debit card linked to a bank account.
After doing the above, the process will be over. So, your order is normally sent directly to you by the vendor.
SmartPay Qualification Requirements For Phones
Like most leasing agencies, there are requirements that one should meet. So, to qualify for a SmartPay leasing plan, you must meet the following criteria:
- At least 18 years of age.
- You must be in possession of a Social Security Number (SSN). If you do not have it, you can provide an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).
- Have a debit or credit card linked to a standard checking account in the United States.
- Have a minimum monthly income of $1,000 prior to taxes and deductions.
Note that SmartPay does not conduct credit checks unless requested. If you have an excellent credit score, they may be willing to offer you lower installments. Additionally, they may give you longer-term agreements. Note the installments are monthly done. However, as stated above, they do not check on the credit score. You can actually use SmartPay to rebuild your credit score for other benefits.
SmartPay Application Process For Phones
The application process on SmartPay is not hard. It is well articulated on their website. You can make use of the steps available on its website. You need to make sure that you can meet the requirements set for you to qualify. However, here are three easy ways that you can follow to make your application.
Online application process
The first method that you can use to apply SmartPay is through their website. So, to apply, visit SmartPayLease.com. Once the website loads, you will see a button “Apply Now”. Click it to start the process. Once the page opens, you will follow the steps provided to make your application. Note that you should fill in the correct details for the application to be successful.
The other online way that you can use is by using SmartPay partners. Once you initiate the process, you will meet with one of the partners online who will help you. You will have to select SmartPay as your payment method during the checkout process. You do not need to worry because the partners will direct you for a successful process. This way your process will be successful.
The last way is using the in-store application. The first step you need to take is to look for a participating SmartPay near you. To apply in-store at a participating store, you need to visit SmartPayLease.com/retail. This is the retail section in the website where you will know which store is near you.
Click on the Checkbox near ”Location near me” on the website. This will direct you to a section where you can easily locate the store. A map will open that from your location you will be able to see all the stores around. Now you will have to locate one of the stores that you can visit.
After you select, you will have to visit the SmartPay store of your choice then do the following;
- On the in-store computer, submit an application for a qualifying phone.
- Receive an immediate decision.
- If your application gets approved, the clerk will complete the process. He or she will process your money and complete your checkout.
Note that it is the same as the other methods. Every applicant must provide the correct details. If you have any questions, you can email SmartPay at support@SmartPayLease.com. You can also call them via (800) 374-5587.
Top Cell Phone Companies That Use SmartPay
SmartPay partners with cell phone companies to offer its consumers’ lease options. SmartPay allows you to pay for your phones in manageable monthly installments. This is normally done over a certain period. However, it normally charges interest on equipment. SmartPay leasing is normally used by many popular phone carriers, including the following:
- Total Wireless
- Boost Cellular
- Simple Mobile
- Straight Talk
- T- Mobile
- Page Plus
You can apply online in just a few minutes and find out if you’re eligible for SmartPay. According to their website, you can earn up to $1,500 and purchase devices online or in-store. Your total payment amount is normally determined by the length of your term. Besides the frequency of your payments also determines the total amount. The frequency can be monthly, twice a month, every other week, etc.
SmartPay’s website does not specify the interest rate that a consumer will pay. However, you can get an estimate of how much extra you will end up spending on their website. If you can afford to pay for a phone in full upfront, we strongly advise you to do so. This is to avoid spending significantly more than the item is worth. This is not always possible. But we recommend that you look for a carrier that does not utilize a third-party organization.
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
Can I upgrade phones with SmartPay?
Yes, you upgrade your phone with SmartPay only if you meet the requirements. This is as long the cost does not exceed the amount approved. If you meet that, you are normally approved for a specific dollar amount with SmartPay. Once this gets done, you can use the money to purchase devices, accessories. Only note that it is on the first month’s service plan.
Are SmartPay phones unlocked?
After you make your payment, SmartPay provides you with a phone that is normally unlocked. In some cases, you may find that the phone is not unlocked but locked to total wireless. So, you need to be careful after you make your payment to get an unlocked phone.
Does SmartPay build credit?
Yes. To verify your personal and financial information, SmartPay uses alternative credit reporting agencies. It is critical to complete the SmartPay application accurately. This method of verification may appear on your credit report as an inquiry. Even though it does not look at the credit score, it is good for your rating. This is because normally other agencies can actually refer to it.
Buying a phone on an installment plan makes sense with the high cost of flagship smartphones. In this manner, you may pay off your device in more reasonable, smaller chunks. However, which payment method is the most advantageous for you? Numerous MVNOs utilize third-party finance businesses that charge interest. While others provide their own leasing schemes in which you pay a nominal monthly fee. You will then return the phone at the conclusion of the leasing period. Many phone companies use SmartPay to lease phones to customers. So, you can use SmartPay to lease a phone from them.