With the advent of the coronavirus pandemic, a lot of things changed. From the way people work to how they interact, there are a plethora of things that took a paradigm shift. Since people can no longer interact like they used to, they have to remain connected in one way or another. The internet has played a critical role in ensuring that people remain connected during the pandemic.
However, not everyone is able to afford the different cell phone services offered by different carriers. This is the reason why EBB ( Emergency Broadband Benefit) Program was created so as to help individuals from low-income families to remain connected to the internet during this pandemic. Safelink is one of the providers of this program to all eligible families out there. In this article, we shall take a closer look at Safelink EBB program so that you can know it better.
About EBB ( Emergency Broadband Benefit )
The program mentioned above was initially created by Federal Communications Commission (FCC) with the aim of enabling low-income households to remain connected to the internet during the pandemic. Although this program differs from one service provider to another, be sure that you will be able to get an additional $50 towards your monthly internet bill. Better still, you can get up to $75 per month in case you reside in Tribal lands.
As we speak, one can apply for this program either through your preferred participating service provider, online or by contacting the customer care team. To reach the customer care team, you should dial 833-511-0311 for application. After that, send it with a proof of eligibility to this address.
Emergency Broadband Benefit Support Center
P.O. Box 7081
London, KY 40742
Does Safelink Offer EBB Program?
Yes. Like we mentioned above, Safelink is one of the service providers of the EBB program. However, only eligible families are bound to enjoy the services offered by this program. Besides this, only one person per household can benefit from this program.
Who Is Eligible For The Safelink EBB Program?
To be eligible for this program, you have to comply with either of the following requirements.
- You must be a participant in the free and reduced-price school lunch or school breakfast program.
- You lost your job or any other source of income since February 29, 2020. Besides this, you qualify if your total income in 2020 was below $198000 for joint filers or $99000 for single filers.
- If you received a Federal Pell Grant in the current award year.
- Your income is at or below 135% of Federal Poverty Guidelines
- You or someone in your family participates in any federal government programs such as Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA), Medicaid and so forth.
- If you or any other person in your family participates in the Head Starts, Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance, Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families and so on.
Generally, if you qualify for the Lifeline Assistance program, you are eligible to benefit from the EBB program.
What To Expect After Applying For The Safelink EBB Program?
Once you apply for this program, you are bound to enjoy a number of benefits. They include:
- Free Monthly unlimited talk, data and text
- Free 10 to 15GB Hotspot data (However, this offer varies from one state to another)
- Unlimited international calling
- Free smartphone
How Do I Apply For The Safelink EBB Program?
- To apply for this program, you should visit safe link official website.
- Enter your ZIP code and then tap continue. If you make your application online, be sure that you will be required to submit the following information: Your official name, your address, your government-issued ID number, Your SSN. date of birth and a photo or a scanned image of your ID
- After that, follow the prompts that you will see on your screen, and you will be good to go. More importantly, ensure that you have a proof of your eligibility for the program. Remember that Safelink will not offer this program to people who do not deserve it. Only eligible individuals are bound to benefit from it.
How Long Will The Safelink EBB Program Last?
If your household meets all the eligibility requirements for this program, be sure that you will enjoy its benefits up to 6 months after the COVID-19 pandemic has ended. It can also end in the event that its located funds has depleted. Therefore, there is a huge window for you to continue enjoying the goodies of the Safelink EBB program.
What Are The Real Benefits Of The Safelink EBB Program?
- By enrolling in this program, you will be able to save more on the costs of communication. Since you will not need to pay to text or make calls, be sure that you will not strain your budget when it comes to cell phone services.
- Besides this, the program allows you to get a free mobile phone that can help you remain connected with those whom you love.
- Since it is a smartphone, you can even use it to work online and earn money.
- Finally, the ability to dial up to 15 unique international telephone numbers makes it a to-go option for many people who come from low-income families. Generally, you will save more on cellphone costs and be connected with friends and family members during the COVID-19 pandemic for less fee.
What qualifies as a household?
The above-mentioned term is commonly used when it comes to the eligibility of the Safelink EBB program. Simply put, a household refers to a group of people who live together and share an income. For instance, a family is a good example of a household. However, 5 roommates are renting a house or apartment and do not share money, they cannot be termed as a household. Instead, they are 5 households.
What if I have not been able to pay my internet bill, will I still qualify for the Safelink EBB program?
Yes. However, you must meet one or more of the eligibility requirements that we have mentioned above. Even if your account is past the due date, be sure that you will enjoy the benefits of this program.
Can I participate in the safelink EBB program if I already receive a Lifeline discount?
Yes. The good news is that you can now participate in both the Lifeline program and the Emergency Broadband Benefit program. However, it is advisable that you apply for the Lifeline discount first and then let the EBB program benefit offset the remaining balance. However, the balance will be offset up to the monthly benefit limit set by your service provider.
Everyone that attends my child’s school receives free lunch. Do I still qualify for the Safelink EBB program?
Yes. If your kid’s entire school receives free lunch, be sure that your family is eligible for the Safelink Emergency Broadband Benefit program.
I reside on Tribal lands but am not a member of the Tribe. Can I still get a discount?
Yes. The good news is that anyone living on Tribal lands will enjoy the EBB Tribal discount. You do not need to be a member of a Tribe for you to qualify for this discount.
Does safelink provide free tablets?
No. although safelink wireless s both a lifeline and EBB supported service, it doesn’t offer free tablets at the moment. However, it offers free smartphones. If in need of a free tablet, you can seek help from non-profit charity organizations.
COVID-19 pandemic has ravaged the economy of many states in the US. This has made it difficult for many people to afford mobile devices and cell phone plans to keep them connected to those they love.
However, the good news is that you can now apply for the Safelink EBB program and be able to enjoy unlimited talk, text and data and even get a smartphone to keep you connected. As long as you are eligible for the program, you can go ahead and apply for it. With this program, you will save more on the overall cost of communication during the pandemic.