Safelink Wireless is one of the reputable carriers that participate in the Lifeline Assistance program. As long as your income stands at or is below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines, be sure that you will qualify for this program. Besides this, if you are a participant of a government assistance program such as WIC, SSI, SNAP, or Section 8, be sure that you will be able to qualify for this carrier’s Lifeline program. With this program in place, you can now get a free smartphone alongside discounted cell phone plans. Better still, you will be allowed to bring your own phone and enjoy the benefits that come with the Lifeline program. These include 350 minutes, 4.5GB of data, and unlimited texts. If you live in California, you will enjoy unlimited texts, unlimited talk, and 6GB of mobile data, among other offers.
For your phone to work with this carrier, your device has to be unlocked and compatible. It is imperative to note that this carrier works well with GSM and CDMA devices. In your device is compatible, you can now apply for a Safelink SIM activation kit. Thankfully, you will not have to purchase it. Since most people would like to know how they can bring their phones to the Safelink Wireless network, we shall discuss that process in detail, alongside any other related idea.
Know Your Eligible Requirements To Useing Safelink Wireless
Since this carrier is one of the main provider of the Lifeline program, you must qualify for that program first so that you can be able to enjoy its services. When it comes to eligibility requirements, you can now qualify for this program if at all you have an income that stands at or is below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. Depending on your state, it is imperative that you check what the Federal Poverty Guidelines of your state stipulate and then determines if you meet the much-needed threshold or not.
If you do not qualify via the low-income criteria, be certain that you can now qualify for this program if at all you are a beneficiary of a government assistance program. Some of these programs include:
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program(SNAP)
- Veterans and Survivors Pension Benefit
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8)
In case you live on Tribal lands, be sure that you can now qualify for the Safelink Lifeline program if you enjoy any of the following government assistance programs:
- Tribal Head Start (Only households or individuals who meet the much-needed income qualifying standard are eligible)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
- Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families(Tribal TANF)
As far as the restriction of the Lifeline program is concerned, it is important to note that you need to meet any of the above mentioned requirements and you will be good to go. More importantly, ensure that your phone line is based on your place your residence. Additionally, ensure that your line is under your full legal name.
Now Check Your SafeLink BYOP Compatibility
Unlike other carriers, this one does not have a designated page on their site where one can check the compatibility of his or her device. Instead, you have to undertake this proof via the application process. However, there certain requirements that your device has to fulfill to work with this Safelink Wireless. Some of these requirements include:
- Ensure that your phone uses a SIM card
- Your device of choice has to be unlocked. In case your device says, ‘Contact service provider’, ‘Restricted’ or does not permit you to access your phone book or make calls, chances are that it is locked. Therefore, you have to contact your previous service provider and request them to unlock your device.
- You have a Sprint CDMA, U.S Cellular CDMA or GoSmart Mobile phone, Verizon CDMA, T-Mobile GSM or AT&T GSM.
Like we mentioned above, Safelink BYOP process is usually done via the application process. Here, you can choose to do so online or from your nearest Safelink Wireless store. If you choose the latter, visit “safelink.com/wps/portal/home/retailers” and try to locate a retailer closer to you. However, if you opt to undertake this process online, here are the steps that you should follow:
- First and foremost, visit Safelink Wireless official website by clicking “safelinkwireless.com/Enrollment/Safelink/en/Web/www/default/index.html#!/newHome”
- Once you are on this site, key in your ZIP code on the field that you see on your screen and then tap on the ‘Start’ button.
- You will be redirected to a page where you need to apply for the Lifeline Assistance program.
- Here, you will be required to key in vital details such as your personal details, your address, eligibility details, device information and so forth.
- If you have some eligibility documents, you can upload them so that your application can be approved.
- Once you are done, check everything is right and then tap on the ‘Submit’ button.
- Safelink Wireless team will review your application and then respond to you within a couple of days.
- If your device is compatible with this carrier, you can now apply for the Safelink SIM activation kit. The good news is that you will not have to purchase it. Instead, it will be offered to you free of charge. Typically, it will arrive via mail shortly after you are done with the application process.
Benefits You Will Get If You Bring Your Phone To Safelink Wireless
If you bring your own phone to Safelink Wireless, there is an array of benefits that you are bound to enjoy. Some of these benefits include:
- 350 voice minutes
- Unlimited talk
- Free SIM card
- 4.5GB of monthly data.
- Free access to 911
- Voicemail services
- 3-way calling
- 411 directory Assistance at no extra cost
- Caller ID
- Nationwide coverage on America’s best network
If you reside in California, here are the benefits that you will enjoy:
- Unlimited texts
- Unlimited voice minutes
- 6GB of mobile data on a monthly basis
- Free access to 911
- Voicemail services
- Free SIM card
- 411 directory Assistance at no added cost
- 3-way calling
- Caller ID
- A good network coverage across the United States.
List Of Best Phones Compatible With SafeLink Wireless
Safelink is compatible with a number of Android, iPhone, and Flip models. In the subsequent section, we shall outline them for you so that you can know them better:
SafeLink BYOP Android Phone
Some of the Android devices that can work well with this carrier include:
- Samsung Galaxy S20
- Samsung Galaxy Note10 Lite
- Google Pixel 4 XL
- Moto G8 Power
- Samsung Galaxy Fold
- TCL 10 Pro
SafeLink BYOP iPhone phone
Here are some of the iPhone models that can work optimally with this carrier:
- iPhone 11 Max Pro
- iPhone 11
- iPhone SE (2nd Generation-2020)
SafeLink BYOP Flip Phone
Besides the iPhone and Android devices, Safelink is compatible with a number of flip phones. Some of these models include:
- LG 410G
- LG 221C
- LG 235C
- LG 221C
- LG 420G
- LG 430G
How Do I Get SafeLink SIM KIT?
Once you are done with the application process, the next step is to apply for a Safelink Wireless SIM activation kit. As we mentioned above, you can now get this SIM kit free of charge. Therefore, you will not have to purchase it. After applying for the SIM kit, be sure that it will arrive at your address via mail within a few days.
How Do I Install A SafeLink SIM Card Or Activate My Phone?
Once the SIM card arrives at your address, the next step is to install it on your device. Depending on how your phone is designed, you can either remove the battery and then insert the SIM card or utilize the SIM card slot located at the side of your phone. If you want to remove the battery so that you can install the SIM card, follow these steps so that you can get started:
- Ensure that your phone is switched off
- Remove the back cover of your device and lift it up.
- Remove the battery gently
- Try to locate the SIM card holder. In most cases, you will see it once you remove the battery completely.
- Insert your SIM card gently. Ensure that the gold contact on your SIM card faces down. Besides this, ensure that you slide the SIM card into the holder until it is fully in.
- Once you are done, replace the battery and then replace the back cover.
If you want to install a SIM card in your phone without removing the back cover, here are the steps that you ought to follow:
- Ensure that your device is switched off.
- Try to locate the SIM card slot on the side or edge of the phone.
- Using a SIM ejector, insert it into the hole next to the SIM card slot. By doing so, the SIM tray will pop out.
- Arrange the SIM card properly, such that the gold contact on your card faces down.
- Once you are done, slide the tray into the slot until it is fully in.
The latter mostly applies to newer models. More importantly, ensure that you insert the SIM card properly. After installing the SIM card successfully, the next step is to activate it. When it comes to the activation process, you will be required to click “safelinkupgrades.com/upgrade/collectmin” and then key in your phone number. Thereafter, tap on the ‘Continue’ button and then follow the prompts that you will see on your screen. In case you experience hiccups during the activation process, contact the Safelink Wireless customer support team at 1-800-723-3546 and ask for more guidance.
Frequently Ask Questions
Can I Upgrade My BYOP Phone From SafeLink Wireless?
Yes. This carrier now allows you to upgrade your BYOP. As far as upgrading your phone is concerned, be sure that you will have an easy time as the carrier has made the whole undertaking more affordable to its customers. To put this into perspective, you will be able to upgrade your current device for as little as $39. As we speak, we have advanced but affordable models such as LG k40, Alcatel TCL A3, Motorola E5 Play, Blue View 3, Motorola Moto E6, and so forth.
Can I Keep My Old Cell Phone Number When I Switch to SafeLink BYOP Program?
Yes. As long as you qualify for Safelink service, be certain that you will have the luxury to port your existing number to this carrier. Just like any other customer, you will be required to apply for a SIM activation kit and once you receive it, contact Safelink technical support team by dialing 1-800-378-1684. Here, you should notify them that you want to port your existing phone number and you will get the much-needed assistance.
What is the SafeLink BYOP IMEI check?
Simply put, this refers to the process of checking your phone’s IMEI number before you can bring it to Safelink Wireless network. Here, you will be required to dial *#06# and then a 15-digit unique number will pop up on your phone’s screen.
If you are using an iPhone device, go to the ‘Settings’ icon and then choose the ‘General’ option. Thereafter, choose ‘About’ and then scroll down so as to see your phone’s IMEI number. Note this number down as you might need it during the BYOP process.
Will any TracFone work with SafeLink?
Yes. Since Safelink is a subsidiary of TracFone, be certain that GSM TracFone devices will be compatible with Safelink.
Does SafeLink Have WIFI Calling?
Yes. However, this feature only works in certain localities and on a few handsets.
How much is a BYOP SIM card kit?
It is free. As long as you qualify for the Safelink Wireless service, you will be able to get a free SIM card and thus be connected on your BYOP device. Thereafter, you will be able to enjoy the benefits that come with Safelink Lifeline service.
How often can you get a new phone with SafeLink?
In case your Safelink Wireless device is lost or stolen, it is imperative to note that you will get a replacement once in every 12 months.