We must start by telling you what a screen protector is. A plastic screen protector refers to a thin layer of plastic that is placed on top of the screen to protect it from scratches.
In this article, we will provide you with all you need to know about plastic screen protector. We will start by clarifying whether you actually need a screen protector or not, then we will have a look at various screen protector types that are currently available on the market and explain if there is any way to get a plastic screen protector for free.
Then we will move on to the part of the article that will probably be of main interest to many of you; there we will have a closer look at some of the currently most popular and latest plastic screen protector.
Afterward, we will continue our discussion by providing you with various useful tips regarding the selection and installation of a plastic screen protector, which will all help you noticeably, with all your screen protector-related affairs.
So, are you ready to dig in? Let’s do this.
Do I Really Need A Plastic Screen Protector
Before we can help you answer the above question, we need to make sure that you know what a screen protector actually does. All it does is provide an extra layer of protection for your phone’s screen. It doesn’t reinforce the actual screen. A misfortunate edge drop may still break your screen. Or an unlucky drop where a rock makes contact between the case edge and screen protector will also most likely result in a break. A good way to look at screen protectors is by wearing gloves when you’re working with your hands. The gloves will prevent scratches but they don’t make your bones any stronger.
So, do you really need a screen protector? We, honestly speaking, the screens have gotten much more scratch-resistant, especially is your phone has a Corning’s Gorilla Glass, which is highly resistant to key and loose change scratches. However, keep in mind that with greater forces of traction, especially with small minerals, such as sand grains, scratches may appear. They may not be deep but enough to bother you and remind you that your phone is no longer new-like.
That said, it makes sense to apply a screen protector to your phone to eliminate any worry when placing it in your pocket or your bag. The screen protectors will also scratch with time, however, you can easily and affordably change them when that happens.
What Types Of Screen Protectors Are Available In The Market Today
Phones are probably the most appreciated personal items in 2020. Almost everyone has at least one smartphone and most of us try to take good care of them. Thus, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that the market is overflood with various types of screen protectors. There are countless brands, some reputable and some less known, producing screen protectors of various kinds.
Here are the types of screen protectors you can find in the market:
Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET)
– PET is what most water bottles and food containers are made of. PET screen protectors provide the least amount of scratch- and impact-protection, but they’re extremely affordable, light, and thin, and as a result are less visible once applied to your phone. They also offer a decently smooth feel. PET is also a bit stiff, so it is not suitable for edge-to-edge screens (slightly curved screens, which are very popular in most of the latest smartphones). Tech Armor is one of the most reputable PET options.
Thermoplastic Polyurethane (TPU)
– It’s a very flexible plastic that’s a huge hassle to install (it involves using a spray solution and squeegeeing out lots of bubbles). The surface of TPU protectors doesn’t feel very smooth (due to its almost rubbery texture). The TPU protectors also tend to add an “orange peel” type glare the phone’s screen. High flexibility is one of its main features, which makes it suitable for edge-to-edge protection on any phone. Moreover, it has better impact protection than PET, and it has limited “self-healing” powers for small scratches. Brands like IQ Shield Zagg’s InvisibleShield are the most popular options.
– This type of glass protection is the oldest. It offers no self-healing abilities like the TPU, but they’re tougher in terms of scratch- and drop-protection, which makes them still a rather popular choice. amFilm, Maxboost, and Mohs are some of the popular brands. Tempered glass protectors are thicker and as such much more visible on your screen, which can be in a way if you prefer ‘melts-into-your-screen’ type of aesthetic.
– These are the latest type of screen protectors. They claim you can protect your phone just by swabbing a solution on your phone and then buffing it off. These protectors are still not perfected and thus not something we recommend. They may provide some level of extra protection, however, the layer is so thin that tough scratches can still easily get through to the actual screen, which defeats the purpose of a screen protector. Moreover, you can’t just take this off and swap it with another screen protector.
12 Latest Plastic Screen Protector
In this section, you will find 12 latest and positively rated plastic screen protector. Since there are no universal screen protectors, we did our best to include those meant to protect some of the currently most popular smartphones.
Note: When you are buying a screen protector, make sure that it is suitable for your phone. As such, make sure to include your phone model name in the search.
1. Tech Armor HD for iPhone 11/iPhone Xr
- Covers only the flat surface reducing the risk of bubbles.
- It is thin and case friendly.
- Material: PET
- Tech Armor HD Clear Screen Protectors help prevent damage from drops and scratches while providing unrivaled user experience.
- This multilayer screen protector is one of the most affordable ways to protect your iPhone 11/iPhone Xr screen from scratches, drops, dust, and daily wear, while providing incredible clarity and Haptic Touch accuracy.
- Tech Armor PET Film screen protectors use only Japanese PET film and high-grade silicone adhesives for rainbow-free viewing clarity and easy, bubble-free installation.
- The oleophobic, anti-fingerprint coating resists smudges to maintain the HD clarity of your Liquid Retina display.
2. amFilm Screen Protector for iPhone SE (2020), 8, 7, 6S, 6
- Specifically designed for your iPhone SE (2020), 8, 7, or 6S/6 (4.7″) devices.
- Made from superior quality 3-layer film designed to promote optimal screen clarity.
- Protects your screen from daily scratches, dust, scrapes, and normal signs of wear.
- Attaches smoothly with a self-adhering surface and leaves no residue when removed.
- Main Features: Finger Print Resistant, Zero Bubbles, Scratch Resistant, High Transparency
- Material: PET
- Screen Protector Kit includes 3x HD Clear Screen Protectors, 5x Dust Removal Stickers, 1x Micro-Fiber Cleaning Cloth, 1x Squeegee Card, and 1x Installation Guide.
3. Supershieldz for Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max and iPhone Xs Max
- Made from the high-quality Japanese PET Film for easy installation and no residue when removed.
- 5 layer protective film: Protective device liner, Silicon adhesive, optical PET layer, Scratch resistance layer, and HD Clear Coating.
- Material: PET
- High Definition Transparency Film that ensures maximum resolution.
- Real Touch Sensitivity for a natural feel that provides flawless touch screen accuracy.
- Protects your screen from daily scratches, dust, and scrapes.
- Include 6 PCS Screen Protectors, Protected by Supershieldz No-Hassle Lifetime Replacement Warranty.
4. ETech Screen Protector for Apple iPhone 6s and iPhone 6
- Designed for Apple iPhone 6s (2015 Model) and iPhone 6 (2014 Model) 4.7″.
- The screen protector will NOT cover the full screen, but only the flat area (curved edges are not covered).
- Main features: High Definition (HD) Crystal Clear vision, Hassle-free, bubble-free installation, 3D Touch Compatibility, dust-free, and fingerprint-free.
- Only 0.13mm think – extremely responsive and suitable for all cases.
- Long-lasting protection against scratches.
- Easy removal: No sticky residue when removed.
- Package includes 3-Pack screen protectors, cleaning cloth, squeegee.
5. iCarez Screen Protector for iPhone 11 Pro iPhone X/Xs
- Hard coated Scratch Proof Screen Protector (Hardness: 3H-4H).
- Compatible with iPhone X, iPhone Xs, and iPhone 11 Pro (5.8 inches).
- Dry Application: Easy to Install and Remove (Bubble-Free/No Residue), Unique Hinge Install Method With Kits.
- High Definition Transparency Film that ensures maximum resolution for RETINA Display.
- TrueTouch Sensitivity and antibacterial for invisible and perfect protection on the touch screen.
- Perfect cutouts on the front do not interfere with sensors or responsiveness.
- Premium Japanese PET Material: Anti-reflective material with no harmful ingredient, reduces your eye strain.
- Fingerprint Reduction Technology: Very easy to move smudges and dirt away, keep your screen brand new.
- Eco-friendly Product: Made of environment-friendly materials, application kits can recycle to be used.
6. BOKEYU Screen Protector for Samsung Galaxy S9
- 9% Ultra-Clear HD military-grade film is UV-light resistant which prevents yellowing.
- An anti-fingerprint coat prevents fingerprints as well as dirt from festering on the surface of your device.
- HD transparency screen protector promises sensitive touching performance which keeps high image quality and fast phone responsiveness.
- Self-Healing” technology that enables the film to revert to original form over time, causing small scratches and scruffs to magically disappear.
- Easy installation: Use the included tool kit when you install this Galaxy S9 Screen Protector. Simply scan the QR code on the package or search ‘bokeyu screen protector’ on Youtube to watch the video guide.
- Maximum Coverage: The Unique laser-precision design process provides accurate edge-to-edge fitment for maximum protection.
- Case-Friendly Design: Extra space is left around the borders for most cases to wrap around the edges of your mobile without interfering with the film.
- The screen protector is compatible with the Samsung Galaxy S9.
7. ArmorSuit MilitaryShield Screen Protector for Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G
- Precise laser cutting.
- 5 layer design: Anti-fingerprint coating, Self-healing effect layer, scratch-resistant layer, impact cushion layer, and Silicon adhesive layer.
- Ultra HD Clear vision and amazingly thin.
- Perfectly matches the contours of the Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra.
- Easy application with flexible material is designed for maximum/full coverage on curved corners and edges of your device.
- Created from scratch-proof, ultra-tough, optically clear, military-grade, yellow-resistant material.
- MilitaryShield has self-healing technology, which helps eliminate minor scratches on the film all by itself.
- Significantly reduces dust, oil, and fingerprint smudges.
- ArmorSuit MilitaryShield screen protector/skin protector is a flexible film that is built to withstand the curved state it arrives in the package.
- Made in the USA.
- Package includes ArmorSuit MilitaryShield screen protector, solution spray, squeegee, microfiber cloth, installation instructions, and Manufacturer’s Lifetime Replacement Warranty. This Warranty is ONLY valid when purchased directly from an ArmorSuit’s official seller.
8. LK Screen Protector for Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus
- Exclusive Solution for Ultrasonic Fingerprint – High touch sensitivity gives “True Touch” feel, ultrasonic screen fingerprint, which allows for high phone responsiveness.
- Material: TPU
- Main features: Dust Prevention, Fingerprint Reduction, Anti-chip, High-response touch, HD Screen, Anti-Oil Stains, and Case Friendly.
- Maximum Coverage – Flexible TPU screen protector will fit your screen perfectly from a curved edge to a curved edge. It designed to offer the maximum amount of coverage for your phone’s screen.
- Ultra Clear – 99% HD Clear screen protector with High definition transparency film and maximum resolution which keeps the bright and colorful image quality.
- Easy Installation: Easy, simple, and fast. Watch their installation video and follow along.
- Durable maintenance and replace support – Provided by LK to ensure the maximum protection for the life of your screen protector.
- Only designed for Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus/Note 10 Plus 5G/Note 10+.
- Included in the box: 3x LK Screen Protector, 1x Squeegee, 3x Black Foam, 3x Alcohol Cleaning Wipes, 1x Microfiber Cloth, 3x Dust Removal Stickers.
9. XClear Screen Protector for Galaxy S20 Ultra
- XClear screen protector is specifically designed for the new Galaxy. Essential for a safe and unique S20 Ultra experience by providing prevention of scratches, oils, and more.
- The transparent clear screen provides engaging and high-quality S20 Ultra experience. Hydrophobic and oleophobic coatings offer protection from dirty fingerprints, smudges, oils, and sweat to keep your screen visually clean and pristine.
- Built-in scratch resistant technology prevents your S20 Ultra from encountering damage from harmful scratches whether it be from car keys, tight pockets, etc.
- A handy installation kit is provided with Wet/Dry Wipes, a dust absorber sticker, alignment and support mount, scraper, and user manual so you can install your XClear screen protector effortlessly and accurately.
- A perfect fit is guaranteed.
- XClear is proud to offer all of its customers a Lifetime Warranty on their Galaxy S20 Ultra screen protectors.
10. Apiker Screen Protector for Galaxy S10
- Exclusively design for Samsung Galaxy S10 6.1″.
- Easy, dry installation: for proper installation, we strongly suggest you watch the installation video.
- Only 0.15mm thickness: this Galaxy S10 screen protector maintains the original response of the ultrasonic in-display fingerprint ID.
- The advanced precise laser cutting technology offers the maximum coverage on such curved edges of Samsung Galaxy S10 6.1 inch. Also compatible with most phone cases.
- 99% high definition clarity and light transmittance keep an original and stunning viewing quality and experience of the Galaxy S10. Enjoy your games and videos.
- Package includes: 4x Apiker Screen Protector for Samsung Galaxy S10 6.1 Inch, 1 x Accessories Kit.
11. LK Screen Protector for Samsung Galaxy S10
- Specially designed for Samsung Galaxy S10 only, NOT for Samsung Galaxy S10e / S10 Plus / S10 5G and any other models.
- The ultra-slim film does not interfere with the touch response and In-Screen Fingerprint ID. If fingerprint recognition is not sensitive after installing a screen protector, please try to record your fingerprint again.
- Hydrophobic Oleophobic coating technology treatment, surface smooth anti-fingerprint, anti-oil, leaving no oil stains.
- High-permeability soft acrylic glue to restore the screen color clearly
- LK provides durable maintenance and replacement support to ensure the maximum protection for the life of your screen protector.
12. OMOTON Screen Protector for Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus
- OMOTON Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus Screen Protector provides maximum protection for your phone screen – it has full coverage and offers perfect fitting to phone curved edges.
- Simple and fast installation: OMOTON customize screen protector installation video for customers to refer to is posted on YouTube. Simply follow the video instruction to install a screen protector with ease.
- Material: This screen protector was made of TPU material, not glass. TPU material ensures good smoothness and responsiveness.
- This item is designed for Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus. It could not be used for S10 or S10e
- Highly Responsive: Only 0.1mm thick, which maintains original response sensitivity of your Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus, ensuring quick app launches, smooth video playing, gaming, and more.
How To Install A Screen Protector Without Bubbles
These days it is super easy to install a screen protector without bubbles since all protectors come with an installation kit. Below are the steps you need to follow. You can also watch your exact case installation video and follow along.
- Put the installation frame (a green plastic tool for aligning the screen protector) (if included in the kit) on your phone and press it down so that it clasps the edges of the device.
- Open the installation kit and use the wet cloth to clean the device’s screen thoroughly (pay attention to the gaps).
- Wipe the screen with the microfiber cloth.
- Remove any smudges, dust, or dirt with the dust removal sticker (don’t skip this step, even if there is no visible dust on the screen as dust particles can be microscopic).
- Take out the screen protector, making sure the label faces you.
- Remove the adhesive film from the screen protector by lifting the rectangular sticker.
- Carefully align the screen protector with the internal frame of the assistive applicator.
- Press the center of the screen protector with your finger to make it adhere to your screen.
- Take off the installation frame and use a cloth to remove any bubbles by pushing each bubble to the edge of the screen.
Note: If you do not have an installation frame, pay EXTRA attention to the alignment.
What Are The Advantages of Plastic Screen Protector
Below are five main advantages of plastic screen protectors.
Cost: Plastic screen protectors are typically highly affordable.
Looks: Since the plastic screen protector are extremely thin, they tend to look much better, as they can hardly be noticed. They don’t affect the screen’s visibility and the quality of the image remains mostly unaffected. This is especially true with TPU plastic screen protector that can be applied even on curved edges of a screen.
Responsiveness: Since plastic screen protector, especially TPU are extremely thin, they provide maximum responsiveness. They are fully compatible with in-screen fingerprint ID scans and other advanced technology.
Reusability: Some plastic cases can be removed, stored, and then used again, which makes them extremely practical and suitable for long-term use.
Self-Healing: This is an incredible feature that many TPU plastic cases offer. This does not mean that the screen protector will be miraculously healed from all scratches, however, the molecules can reassemble themselves in a way to heal shallow scratches.
Disadvantages Of Plastic Screen Protector
The main disadvantages of plastic screen protectors are as follows:
- Due to being made up of plastic material, over time these protectors lose their clarity.
- The scratches are more visible on the plastic screen protector. The marks on them are usually visible clearly.
- It is relatively thin, much thinner than the tempered glass screen protectors. The thicker the screen guard, the tough it is and thus affording our screens resistance against damages.
- Not all plastic screen protector are fingerprint-resistant. You need to often wipe them off your screen after usage.
- Plastic screen guards (especially PET ones) fail to give the full- coverage.
- If you’ve been ignoring small scratches for a long time, they tend to cause larger cracks in case of a plastic screen protector.
- PET protectors don’t cover the curved edges, leaving them vulnerable to damage.
- Tracking your fingers and navigating over a plastic screen protector may not feel as smooth as when you are using the tempered glass screen protector.
Main Differences Between a Plastic and a Glass Screen Protector
Price : Plastic screen protectors tend to be a lot cheaper than tempered glass ones.
Looks : These mainly depend on your personal preferences, however, glass screen protectors tend to be thicker and cause visible edges, that may not be all that pleasant to look at.
Installation : Generally, glass screen protectors are simpler to install. Especially TPU protectors tend to demand more caution as they are super thin and soft.
Feel : Though plastic protectors are improving fast in that aspect, they tend to have that ‘rubber-like’ touch, while glass covers feel more like original screens.
Durability : Tempered glass wins this one with ease. However, they may be less adhesive and more ridged and as such fail to stick to your phone for as long as plastic one might.
Tips to Remove Bubbles from a Screen Protector
Air bubbles were quite an issue with older plastic screen protectors. However, with improved multi-layer technology, this is not an issue anymore. However, one must apply all the installation steps to the point to ensure there are no bubbles trapped between the screen and the protector.
Moreover, always use the application tools/kit that is usually provided with the screen protector. Also, watch the installation video and make sure to properly clean the screen.
First, sticking the central portion of the protector is a useful trick as well. Then continue pressing towards the edges to ensure all air is forced out.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Get A Free Plastic Screen Protector?
Yes. These days, many top-scale smartphone models will come with pre-installed screen protectors. However, those phones are extremely expensive anyway, so it is highly questionable if the protector is free or not.
Moreover, there are many special deals available when a package includes a screen protector.
How to Make Your Own Screen Protector
You can make your own screen protector for less than a nickel, however, the quality can’t compare with the ones presented above.
The best method requires vinyl Covering, scissors or craft knife, a ruler, cardboard, pen, and cloth. It has no adhesive layer, so it leaves no residue on your screen. Measure it, cut it, and apply it.
This is a cheap solution, though keep in mind that it may affect negatively on fingerprint capabilities (if applicable).
If You Want Impact Protection, Get a Case
No matter which type of screen protector you go with, its main purpose is to protect your phone against scratches. So if you want to make your phone resistant to drops, make sure to get a high-quality phone case. In this case, TPU screen protectors are the best choice; due to their minimum thickness, they are compatible with most phone cases.
How to Apply Plastic Film Protectors
Refer to the steps described in the ‘How to install a screen protector without bubbles?’ section.
Always use the tools provided with the screen protector and apply all the steps. Do not leave out the fingerprint removal sticker use! Moreover, make use of installation videos and pause them as often as needed.
The installation is not difficult, however, some precision and caution are required to get the perfect results.