It is not everyday high-tech begets excellence. You’ll realize that most mobile phones focus more on youth and technology trends and forget about adults. Even though youths form the biggest technology consumers, adults also have a say. Besides, they have all the resources to pay for what they want.
This is why adulthood is almost untapped field that jitterbug explores. The parent company is on record as one of the greatest adult resource supporters; GreatCall. Therefore, all Jitterbug cell phones: their smart phones and flip phones are all equipped for seniors.
Jitterbug Phones Features With Pros & Cons
If you are shopping for the best phone for your seniors, Jitterbug cellphones are the best. In this article, we compile all the information you need about these devices. So, keep reading and you won’t regret it.
Jitterbug phones are specifically made for seniors and are actually most preferred. They have only two options but with annual upgrades; that is a flip phone and smartphone. We are going to look at the specification and features of each phone.
1. Jitterbug Lively Flip
People may call you old-fashioned when they see you with this phone. But there is undeniable beauty in the simplicity of the Lively Flip phone. It has a good resolution with the people with a sight problem. It has simple menu navigation with YES or NO navigation. This makes the operation of the phone to be simple.
The Lively Flip phone has a long-lasting battery. Also, if you have hearing problems, it has powerful speakers. Also, it gives out clear audio. As said, this is a great feature for the above 65 years. This age bracket is highly affected by hearing loss. It has a 2 MP camera for taking some photos and has a 5 Star button for 24/7 help in case of an emergency. It has a large bright screen and buttons which are visible to you. Even if the screen is smaller than the smart phone, the display is visible enough. The letter display is in a large 32 point font.
It has a large button with a backlight. This makes typing easy and accurate. So, when you are messaging or dialing numbers to call, you can rarely make mistakes
- It has a 5Start app for help in case of emergencies.
- You can take photos.
- It has good clear audio quality
- Simple keypad
- It has Hearing Aid Compatibility.
- It has a large text print and a magnifying tool
- It has a poor camera quality
- No voice to text feature
- Poor battery life
2. Jitterbug Smart2
Jitterbug Smart2 is one of the best smart phones for seniors. This means that the phone features are in consideration of the seniors. It has a 5.5-inch display that has an IPS touch display that gives a simplified display for the seniors. When a senior get this smart phone, they can easily call, text, and email. This is because of the simplified display of the phone. Jitterbug Smart 3 has a simple menu list that enhances the operation experience of the user. Additionally, it has a voice typing feature for the seniors with sight problems to call or even text.
The phone is a 4G LTE and supports Bluetooth v4.2, GPS, and Wi-Fi. The 4G LTE makes it easy for the senior to have a fast browsing experience. Also, he or she can share files, pictures via Bluetooth. The phone combines all the essential features available in modern smart phones. It is actually powered by the Android operating system one of the most secure OS available. The GPS feature is good for tracking the movement especially when they get lost. The feature makes it easy for you to find them.
Jitterbug Smart2 has a 5 MP front camera with a LED flash. Besides, it also has a 13 MP primary camera with flash. This means that you can take photos and share them with your family members. It is actually the best when the senior is having some good moments with the grandchildren. It also has 16 GB internal memory which you can extend up to 32 GB with external MicroSD.
The home screen is simple with only two tabs. The home tab displays the applications while the people tab displays your contacts. This makes it easy for seniors to navigate through the phone. Additionally, the phone has some important health and care applications. Also, you can download other apps offered by GreatCall. It has a Lithium-ion battery of 3000 Ah.
GreatCall offers cell phone plans that include Talk, Text, and Data. Also, it allows the seniors to subscribe to separate health and safety packages. This helps them benefit from the GreatCall apps.
- It has a Hearing Aid Compatible with M4/T4 rating.
- 5Star app for getting help in case of an emergency.
- It has enough memory storage.
- It is 4G LTE for fast connections.
- Has video chatting.
- It has a talk-to-text feature for those with sight problems.
- It has weaker audio compared to a flip phone
- Available in one color variety.
Jitterbug Pricing And Service Plans
1. Jitterbug pricing
The two Jitterbug phones cost differently. Therefore, your needs will determine your choice. As both phones have great senior features, Jitterbug Smartphone 2 is way higher. That’s why it is more expensive just slightly shy of $150. Jitterbug flip goes at $99.99. Though, the price may vary depending on where you purchase your phone.
2. Jitterbug service plans
Jitterbug has two service plan categories. These are pay-as-you-go and health and safety plans. Thankfully, the two Jitterbug phones are compatible with these plans. They all allow the subscribers to customize them according to their needs.
Pay as you go is a pretty basic plan. If your communication engagements do not involve a lot of calling and texting, this is the best plan for you. It starts at only $14.99/month and has 250 minutes. However, you are free to opt for the unlimited talk time and texting features. This will cost you up to $39.00 per month.
Under the Health and safety plan category, GreatCall offers three service plans. These are Basic, preferred, and ultimate. They all offer discounts in form of unlimited talk and texts at $20 per month. They include all the crucial health and safety features such as the 5Star service. To better understand these plans, let us look at them one by one;
- This plan costs $19.99/month
- It comes with 5Star service and Brain games
- Preferred plan costs $24.99/month
- Also includes the 5Star service
- It has brain games for memory enhancement
- It incorporates a virtual doctor visits as well as a GreatCall link
- Costs $34.99/month
- Ultimate includes unlimited talk time and texts
- Also has a 5Star service
- It has memory games for sharpen the alertness
- It features a personal operator service for live assistance
- Ultimate also includes virtual doctor visits and GreatCall
3. Texts, Data, and minutes
Jitterbug is an MVNO operating on Verizon towers. That grants you access to one of the greatest carrier networks in the US. So, you get access to a strong network with wide coverage. Unlike standard Verizon users, with Jitterbug, you don’t need any contract. As long as you pay your monthly bills, you’ll continue enjoying cheap and reliable services. You can as well quit anytime and there are no penalties.
You can also buy any allotment you want independently. That is data, texts, and minutes all at different prices.
Jitterbug Phones Activation Process
After buying your Jitterbug phone, you have to activate it first before using it. Unfortunately, all the Jitterbug services are online. So, you can only activate your phone online. To do this, follow the steps below;
- Go to the Jitterbug activation page
- You will be prompted to enter the ZIP code. This should be the area code where your phone will be used.
- Fill the online form. Here, you’ll fill in information such as the device serial number, owner’s name, and your relationship.
- You should also provide your email address. Then create an account and secure it with a password.
In case you experience challenges during activation, contact Jitterbug customer care via 866-482-1424.
Jitterbug Phones Accessories
After you buy your phone, you will need to have the accessories. They help you in making sure that you are available in most cases. Note that they differ on which type of phone you are using. There are accessories for flip phones and smart-phones. Here are some of the accessories that you may need.
- Chargers. A charger is a very accessory for both jitterbug smart-phones and jitterbug flip phones. It is the one that recharges the phone in case the battery goes low. There are different chargers that you can have. There is a car charger that has different modifications. They are both available for the two types of phones. There is a wall charger which you can charge your phone the normal way.
- Cover protector. The cover protector differs between the two phones. If you are using the smart phone, you will need a Wallet Folio Case. If you have a flip phone you will need a case which is in two varieties. There is a black and red case that you can select. Also, there are cases of the same time available for smart phones.
- Glass Screen Protector. Mostly it is available for Jitterbug Smart2. It is a thin clear glass that protects the touch screen from scratches. It responds to the sensitivity of your finger when you are operating the phone and It can fit Jitterbug Smart2 well.
- Insignia™ – 8,000 mAh Portable Charger. This is a portable charger charged to give you power in case your phone goes off. It is good especially when you are on a journey and you cannot access the charging port. It is available for both flip and smart phone.
- Bluetooth headset. One of the features of Jitterbug Smart2 is Bluetooth. When you have this headset, you can play your music from your phone without wired earphones. It is a good way to listen to music, answer calls without the phone being near you. Also, you get some for flip phones.
- Stereo earphones. This is one of the best accessories for you regardless of the phone. It will help you listen to music and also answer calls with a button touch. It has a comfortable design with a 3.5mm connector. Also has in-line controls and a tangle-free cord.
- Extra battery. The extra battery is good for those who flip phones with removable batteries. You will replace it with the one in the phone in case your phone runs low on power. Also, if your battery spoils, you can get a replacement for it. Note that you can only ship batteries through Standard Ground Shipping.
Why You Choose Jitterbug Phones
1. Contracts & Return Policies
Jitterbug doesn’t force their customers into contracts. Their services are prepaid. So, you can quit anytime you feel like. Most carriers will penalize you when you cancel your contract, but Jitterbug does not do that.
GreatCall also offers a limited return warranty of up to one year. Even though not all areas are covered, the warranty has all major key parts. If your device is faulty within a year, you can get a replacement.
2. Senior-Friendly Services
All the Jitterbug phones have incredibly senior-friendly features. These include large screens, buttons, and medical alert applications. All these features aim at making seniors’ lives more comfortable and bearable. For instance, the large buttons on the cell phones ensure that they can see numbers clearly.
The phones are also less complicated. This makes it easier to use by old folks. The intuitive interface allows them to accomplish a task with a single click of a button. Other crucial features include loudspeakers and bright screens. In most cases, you find that as people age, they tend to develop reduced hearing ability. With loudspeakers, they can clearly hear even low tones. The bright screen helps in increasing readability mode.
3. Customer Reviews
GreatCall is an A+ rating company in their service to seniors. It is in that regard that Jitterbug phones have received great praise from users. Although, no human product is 100% perfect. So, still, there are several contagious issues many users don’t like. Overall, Jitterbug phones have a better than good rating.
One of the greatest strengths of these phones is their powerful collection of features. Jitterbug phones are feature-rich phones which you can use to achieve several things. This makes the phones not just good for seniors but also kids.
The Jitterbug customer care has also received praise. Even though there are no physical shops, most customers commended Jitterbug on their willingness to help their customers.
All these are not without a few caveats though. Some users feel that GreatCall messed the simplicity of the Jitterbug flip phone. The Jitterbug smart 2 is too heavy and big compared to the former. It also consumes a lot of power requiring constant charging. The older phone’s battery would go for 2-3 days. This has been reduced to a matter of hours. This angers many users who feel it is a downgrade.
Where to Buy Jitterbug Phones
You can order Jitterbug phones online via GreatCall which is the mother company. The Jitterbug Smart2 retails at $149.99. A one-time activation fee of $35 is also payable before you can start using your phone.
A grandparents’ day offer is also a great opportunity to buy a Jitterbug phone. This is when GreatCall offers their phones at insane prices. They slice the normal price by 50% to give Smart a 75 dollar price tag. The Jitterbug flip will cost you only $75 on a Grandparents day offers. However, you have to purchase a plan and pay for activation.
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
Do GreatCall phones have features for those who suffer from visual impairment?
Yes, they have the features. The GreatCall phones have large screens with bright colors. They have visible fonts that you can see clearly. The Lively Flip has large backlit buttons for visibility to anyone typing. Also, both GreatCall devices have voice typing features which mean you can just talk. The voice is automatically converted to text and then sent.
Do GreatCall phones come with any kind of warranty or return policy?
All phones offered through GreatCall have a 30-day return policy. You will only need to have less than 30 minutes of talk time for you to get a full refund. Besides, you will get the money-worthy value of your phone and not the service plan. This is if you decide to just return the phone.
What makes the Jitterbug Smart2 so easy to use?
Jitterbug Smart2 features an improved user-friendly smartphone. It has a simple menu with large fonts on a 5.5” touch screen and has a voice typing feature where you do not need to type but talk. It has a 13 MP camera with autofocus for capturing photos and videos.
Is Jitterbug Smart2 Hearing Aid Compatible?
Yes, Jitterbug Smart2 has a Hearing Aid Compatibility. This feature can work with most hearing aids. It has a rating of M4/T4.
Jitterbug cell phones are one of the best phones you can get in the market. Most phone manufacturers target medium people forgetting the elderly. However, with the Jitterbug phone, the seniors have something they can brag about. All the phones from GreatCall come with special features that aid the use of the phone by seniors. This is all you need to know about both Jitterbug smart phones and jitterbug flip phones.
Hoping that the article helped you, it is now upon you to choose which to go for between the two phones.