PlayStation 4 (PS4) is one of the most popular console games across the globe. It has millions of users and despite the fact that there is a new, PS5, out, the PS4 remains the most popular choice. Since we’ve often received a question about how to delete a user on PS4, we decided to create this article that will help you with that action.
So, are you ready to learn how to delete a user on PS4? Let’s dig in, shall we?
Why Delete A User On PS4 In The First Place?
Before we go into the exact steps of how to delete a user on PS4, we felt the need to address the reason behind this action.
As you may know, the PS4 is capable of holding up to 16 different user profiles. This is quite a lot and more than enough for many users. However, if you have a lot of friends over and have created a user profile for every one of them, you may soon be running out of user space. As such, the first reason to delete a user on Laptop is to make room for a new user.
Another reason to delete a user on PS4 is to remove users that are no longer in use. You might have created an account for a player that is no longer using your PS4 and is now just taking u your user storage (an inactive user). Since it makes no sense to keep that user active, you probably want to delete it, right?
So these are the two most common reasons why you might want to delete a user on PS4.
Things To Keep In Mind Before Delete A User On PS4
Deleting a user is a smart thing, especially if we are talking about an inactive user. However, it is important to keep in mind certain consequences that come with this action step. It is best to be safe than sorry, right?
So the most important thing to keep in mind before deleting a user on PS4 is the fact that by doing so you will also be removing all of the saved data and screenshots created by that user from the PS4’s hard drive. This also includes game licenses and applications purchased by that user. Is that ok with you? Are there no screenshots you want to keep? If not, then proceed with the deletion process.
Another thing to keep in mind is that any parental controls set by that user will remain in place even if that user’s account is deleted.
You can always backup certain data that you feel is important.
Taking A Backup Of User Data Is An Option
Yes, taking a backup of user data is an option. It is got to know that you have that option available, especially in case you are dealing with an active user, however, it is a user that purchased games and apps or made some awesome screenshots that you want to keep.
In order to keep all your data save, you can make a backup prior to deleting the account by following the steps below:
- Navigate to Settings > Application Saved Data Management > Saved data.
- Once there, select the platform/storage device where you want to backup your data. These options include “Cloud” or a “USB Storage” device. Once selected, proceed to the next step.
- You must backup data by each game, thus select the game whose data you wish to backup, and hit “Copy.” That is it.
Repeat the 3rd step for all the games whose data you want to backup. After doing so, you can delete the user with peace of mind, knowing you have a backup copy.
How To Delete A User On PS4 – 2 Simple Options
We finally got to the section, where we will have a closer look at how to delete a user on PS4. Aside from factory reset, about which you can read in the following section, there are two ways to delete a user on PS4 that we want to focus on as we believe are the simplest. One is focused on using Login Settings and the other Parental Controls/Family Management.
Note: If there is only one user account on your PS4 device and you want to delete that user, make sure to first create a new user account and log in to that new account. Then use the new account to delete the initial account (the one you want to get rid of).
How To Delete A User On PS4 Using Login Settings
Here are the exact steps to take to delete a user on PS4 using Login Settings:
- Turn on your PS4
- Navigate to the Settings menu.
- Once in the Settings menu, choose the Login Settings.
- From there click the User Management option.
- These should display two options – ‘Create User’ and ‘Delete User’. Since we want to delete a user, click the ‘Delete User’ option.
- If you have done the above steps properly, all the user profiles that you have created on your PS4 console will appear. Select and click on the user profile that you want to delete.
- The confirmation screen will appear. In order to finalize the deletion process, click the Delete button. Keep in mind that this will permanently delete the user.
This is it. That is how to delete a user on PS4 using Login Settings. Let’s now have a look at the second simple method.
How To Delete A User On PS4 Using Parental Controls/Family Management.
Here are the exact steps to take to delete a user on PS4 using Parental Controls/Family Management:
- Turn on your PS4.
- Connect your PS4 to the internet.
- Sign in with your PlayStation account details. Makes sure to use the login details for the account that you want to delete.
- Once logged in, navigate to the Function area and select settings from the right side row.
- From there select the ‘Parental controls/Family Management’ option.
- Once on the next screen, you need to select the ‘Family Management’ option.
- In the ‘Family Management’, select the name of the profile you want to delete.
- After selecting the user/profile that you want to delete, you will have several options. One of them is ‘Delete User’. Click the ‘Delete User’ option.
- Simply follow the on-screen instructions/confirmation to complete the deletion process of your PlayStation account.
This is it. That is how to delete a user on PS4 using Parental Controls/Family Management.
‘One To Rule Them All’ Move: Factory Reset
You can also use factory reset if you want to delete all existing users. However, keep in mind that factory reset also affects all other settings and data on your PS4. As such use it wisely.
If you decide that factory reset is the move you want to take, then are the steps to follow:
- Login to your PS4 account by entering your login information for the primary user.
- Go to the Options menu > Settings.
- Notice the “Initialize PS4” option at the bottom. That option will perform a factory reset on your console, returning it to the same configuration as it was at the first startup.
- After selecting the “Initialize PS4” option, click on “Full” and follow the provided instructions.
- Once the process is finished, it will have deleted all data as well as users on the console and return it back to factory conditions.
Reminder: Back up any data, you think is important before performing a factory reset.
How To Restore A Deleted PS4 User
Have you deleted a user by accident? Unless you’ve made a backup, there is not much that can be done about the data. Sorry. Though, keep in mind that the action of deleting a user only deletes the data from your device and not from Sony servers.
Moreover, if you’ve used the instructions above and backed up the relevant data prior to deleting a user, you can restore that user’s data using the backup.
However, there is another simple way. If at any one point, you find the need to restore a deleted user, simply create a new user and have them log in with their PS account. Their login credentials will ensure that the content will be re-downloaded to the console.
Suggestion: Use Guest Profiles Instead Of New User Profiles
Let’s say you have a temporary user like a guest for the holidays. You know that user is only going to be active for a short while. As such, it makes more sense to create a guest account in that or similar cases.
The thing about a guest account is that all data related to it will automatically be removed from your PS4 console as soon as they’re logged out. This makes it highly convenient to have short term guests on your console.
Warning: Make sure not to save anything to a guest account that you would not want to lose upon log out.
Since you’ve reached this point, you are now familiar with how to delete a user on PS4. You now know it is very simple and that you have two options to delete a single user, or you can use a factory reset to delete all users at once.
You also know that deleting a user also deletes all the data related to that user, which should be taken into account before any action is taken. Also you know that, you can back up the data related to the user you want to delete.
Moreover, you’ve learned that using guest profiles for temporary users may be a smart option.
We hope you’ve found our article useful.
Enjoy your PS4 to the fullest. Stay awesome!
Recommended For You