Using short-range wireless headphones is irritating and boring. Can you imagine playing your favorite music then, all of a sudden loose connection? That’s why the question of distance or range is necessary. Having a good range headphones is awesome. You can listen to anything by using the AirPods when your phone remains to charge in a different room.
Airpods by Apple are currently one of the most popular wireless earphones. Long-range extending to 60 meters is one of their selling points. However, this may vary depending on the Bluetooth version on your devices. With the latest Bluetooth version, this range can extend further. But if older, then you may need to stay closer to your devices for them to connect.
Optimal and Maximum Range of AirPods Be Away from Phone
Optimal range refers to the distance under which AirPods are designed to be used. This is the range at which they are at their best. On the other hand, the maximum range is the distance to which you can stretch the earphones without losing connection.
Apple recommends an optimal range of between 10-18metres. This is the sure range that your airpods will work regardless of your phone or other device Bluetooth version.
As for the maximum range, these AirPods Be Away from Phone can work to a tune of 60+ meters. If you are connecting to another Apple device, these earphones give the best results. The good thing is, there isn’t any range difference between the first and second AirPods generations. Thus, there isn’t sense in paying more for new ones if you already have the older ones.
Key Features of Airpods
If you are shopping for Airpods, there are a few key features to consider. These determine the success or failure of your airpods;
- Battery power : Your airpods battery capacity is a key feature for its efficiency. A full battery charge can take you up 5 hours listening and 3 hours talk time. Moreover, their charging unit is very light. You can easily walk around with it. Once connected, the battery is easily chargeable. A 15-minute recharge can serve you for over 3hours. And if talking, it can serve you 2 hours of continuous talk.
- Performance : Stable wireless connection defines airpods. They also have a quick connection time thanks to the introduction of H1 headphone chip said to be 2 times faster when switching devices. The chip has also quickened the phone call connection time by almost double figure.
- User friendly interface : Airpods have an incredible user-friendly interface. With it, you can operate certain features in your phone while far from you. For instance, with a tap, you can change, talk and even check weather. Basically, there is plethora of activities you can operate without necessary touching your phone.
Pros & Cons of Airpods
If you are looking forward to own airpods, it’s good to be aware of its strengths and weaknesses. Below we highlight a few of them you should keep an eye on.
- They have a user-friendly interface. You can operate your iPhone while in your pocket.
- If lost, you can track them down via “Find my iPhone”.
- They have a powerful battery that can serve you for more than 5 hours depending on how you use it.
- Airpods have a high-quality sound courtesy of Apple H1 chip.
- They are easy to charge. A 15-minute recharge can last you more than 2-3 hours of listening or talking respectively.
- They easily connect to other Apple devices.
- In case they fall out of their position; its content pauses automatically.
- Airpods are resistant to fluid like water and sweat.
- They are very expensive
- You can easily misplace them considering their small size
Process to Connect AirPods With Phone And Other Device
Besides listening to music, Airpods offers other various services. You can use them to make calls, talk to Siri among others. Additionally, you can use your Airpods on both iOS and Android devices. Below is a procedure on how to connect them to all your devices.
Connecting Airpods and iPhone
- Before attempting to pair the devices, check for any available updates.
- Put your Airpods in their casing and place it next to your iPhone.
- With your phone unlocked, wait until animation appears on the display.
- Tap connect.
- The above option should kickstart pairing your devices.
- Follow the onscreen installation instructions to complete the process.
- Once you complete pairing, tap “Done”.
Connecting Airpods and Android phone
- Turn on your Android phone’s Bluetooth feature.
- While your Airpods are still in their casing, open its casing.
- Press the settings button on the backside of the casing until its status light indicates white.
- Your Airpods will appear on the list of available devices.
- Tap them to complete the pairing process.
Connecting Airpods and Mac
If you are a Mac user, you can also pair it with your Airpods. However, if you have 2nd generation airpods, your Mac should be at least Mojave 10.14.4. If you have Airpods Pro, they can pair with Catalina 10.15.1 and above. To pair your Mac and Airpods, follow the procedure below;
- Turn on Bluetooth feature on your Mac computer.
- Keep your Airpods in their casing and open its lid.
- Press and hold down the Set-up button at the back of the case. Wait until its status light flashes white. That’s an indicator that Mac has recognized the Airpods.
- Go to Mac’s devices, select Airpods and tap “Connect”. On the volume control, pick the Airpods as your main audio output. In some instances, they’ll be auto selected.
See More : How To Answer Call On Airpods ?
Process to Reset AirPods
Resetting your Airpods is one of the best ways to solve its issues. For example, if you can’t connect to them, they are not charging etc. If you want to reset your Airpods, do the following;
- Put them back in their case and close it.
- Wait for approximately 30seconds then open it.
- Go to Bluetooth settings of any of your Apple devices such as iPad, iPhone or iPod. Settings > Bluetooth. Locate your Airpods and tap forget.
- With your Airpods casing lid open, press and hold down the Setup button. Wait until the LED light flashes amber then release. This may take up to 15 seconds.
- Your Airpods should now be on their factory settings mode.
- To reconnect your devices, open the lid and follow the standard connection steps. That should solve any issue you may have had with your Airpods.
Talk to Siri on Airpods
The ability to operate your iOS device via Siri (Apple’s Voice Assistant) is one of the important features in the Airpods. With Siri, you can perform several tasks with your device in your pocket. For instance, you can add or reduce volume, skip or rewind music, perform updates among others. However, there are different ways of activating your Airpods Siri.
If you have the 1st generation model, all you need is double tap one of the buds. This will activate the feature immediately and start taking voice instructions.
If you have the 2nd generation Airpods, to activate Siri, all you need is call up her up by saying “Hey Siri!”. And immediately Siri will be ready for your instructions.
FAQs – Frequently Ask Questions
Can I track my lost or stolen Airpods?
Yes, you can track your Airpods if you lose them through the “Find my” feature. However, tracking won’t be possible if the person who collects them resets them.
See More : How To Find Lost AirPods That Are Offline
Is it safe to use my Airpods when working out?
Yes and No. Yes, if you are not engaged in a rigorous work out like gymnastics. First of all, Airpods are sweat and water resistant. So, you don’t have to be afraid that they will be damaged by the sweat. In terms of being firm, they’ve also performed pretty well. They can remain in place for normal work outs like running and weight lifting.
Note that for gymnastic and such work outs, it may not work. Therefore, it all comes down to the type of work out you are involved in.
Can I use my Airpods to read and answer messages?
Yes. Then if Siri feature is activated on your phone, it can read and transcribe the incoming messages. You can then respond via voice and Siri will send the reply to the message sender.
What happens if I move far away from my device?
If you move out of the AirPods range, they will disconnect. The AirPods range is between 40 to 60 meters. However, the distance varies depending on the type of your device and Bluetooth strength.
What differentiates Airpods and Airpods Pro?
Airpods Pro has more powerful features than Airpods. Every new Airpods generation comes with more advanced features than the previous. The Airpods Pro has all features below which are not found in Airpods;
- Noise cancellation feature
- Pressure valve
- Sweat and water resistance
- Customizing ear tips
Airpods wireless technology takes off us the burden of walking around with wired headphones. Their range is hard to beat especially when in an open area. Even though Apple recommends an optimal range of up to 18Meters, Airpods perform well even beyond this distance. The introduction of H1 chip and Bluetooth V5 greatly changed the performance of Airpods.
The range, speed, and everything improved. Besides listening and talking via these devices, you can do several things. So, if you haven’t used it, it’s a great piece of tech that you may not want to pass.