Back in 2021, the Federal government initiated a new assistance program commonly known as Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) program in order to enable all eligible households to remain connected during the pandemic period. However, this program expired on December 31, 2021, and now the government opted to both modify this program and extend it beyond 2021. Consequently, the Federal government created a new program commonly known as the Affordable Connectivity Program. Currently, we have a couple of service providers offering this program to all eligible residents of the US. One of them is MetroPCS. Earlier this carrier used to offer EBB program but now offers the much-needed ACP benefits. In this article, we discuss the Affordable Connectivity program offered by MetroPCS, among other related ideas.
Reason You May Choose MetroPCS Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP)
By applying for this program, be sure that you will get a free 5G smartphone and a couple of discounted rates on your cell phone plans. For instance, those who live on nontribal lands will get a $30 discount monthly, while those living on Tribal lands will enjoy discounts of up to $70. Consequently, all eligible customers will not have to strain to afford a mobile phone and remain in touch with their loved ones and friends.
Difference Between MetroPCS ACP and EBB
Although both programs are meant to bridge the digital divide among Americans, they are quite different in several ways. To start with, the MetroPCS ACP program became active after December 31, 2021.
Typically, there was a 60-day period after December 31st 2021. This means that the MetroPCS ACP started being operational on March 1st 2022. However, the MetroPCS EBB program was established in 2021 and ran for the better part of 2021.
Apart from the timelines, each program began operating; these two programs differ slightly due to the discount that each offers. For instance, the MetroPCS EBB program offered a discount of up to $50 a month for internet services. Those who used to live in tribal lands and were eligible for this program could get discounts of up to $75 on internet services.
However, those who qualify for the MetroPCS ACP program and do not reside on Tribal lands now receive a slightly smaller discount of up to $30 a month on internet services. The good news is that those eligible households or individuals living on Tribal lands will still enjoy discounts of up to $75 on internet services.
How Do I Convert MetroPCS EBB to ACP
Some households used to enjoy the EBB program offered by this carrier and would not like to convert or continue enjoying these benefits under the ACP program. The good news is that converting from MetroPCS EBB to ACP is generally easy.
As we mentioned, the EBB program offered by this carrier ended on December 31st 2021. However, there was a 60-day transition period, during which all those who had applied and qualified for the EBB program continued to enjoy all the benefits of that program. However, after March 1st 2022, all eligible households needed to either requalify or qualify for them to be transitioned to the new ACP program.
If you need to requalify to enjoy the much-needed ACP discounts, be sure that you will receive a notification from Metro by T-Mobile or USAC, typically the program administrator. In this case, you will have to undergo an ACP verification and submission. Once you meet all the eligibility requirements, you can now start enjoying the ACP benefits from MetroPCS on the go.
Qualification Criteria for Getting MetroPCS ACP
By now, you must be interested in benefiting from the discounts offered by the MetroPCS ACP program. However, you need to meet specific eligibility criteria to enjoy these benefits. These include:
- You must be ACP eligible
- You must be living in the US
- Your income must be or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines
- You must be a participant in a government assistance program such as SSI, SNAP, Medicaid, etc.
Qualifying Guideline for MetroPCS ACP Program
To enjoy the benefits offered by the MetroPCS ACP program, you must meet specific eligibility requirements first. Some of these requirements include:
- To start with, you must ensure that your annual household income stands at or is below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines of your state
- Be a participant in any of the government assistance programs offered in the US. These include; Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income, Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program, Federal Public Housing Assistance, and Veterans Pension Survivors Benefit.
- Be a participant of any of the Tribal specific programs. Some of these programs include; Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations, Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance or Tribal TANF.
- You received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year
- You have met the eligibility criteria of a carrier that participates in offering a low-income program. Note that this program must be existing or running.
- You have been approved to receive benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or school breakfast program.
- Be a resident of the US, where MetroPCS offers its cell phone services.
Documents Required When Apply for MetroPCS ACP
When applying for the MetroPCS ACP program, you will be required to submit an array of documents alongside the application document online. Some of these documents include:
1. Personal documents
Some of the vital documents you will be required to submit are copies of your personal documents. Typically, you will be needed to submit these documents in order to verify your identity. Some of these documents include:
- Your full legal name
- Government-issued ID
- Your Green card
- Certificate of U.S Citizenship or naturalization
- Your birth certificate
- Your full name
- Proof of address such as your utility bill, lease or mortgage statement.
2. Eligibility documents
Besides submitting your personal documents, as illustrated above, you need to present eligibility documents alongside the application form to increase the chances of approval.
Depending on what made you eligible to enjoy MetroPCS’s Affordable Connectivity Program, there are certain eligibility documents that you should present. For instance, if you qualify as a participant in a government assistance program, you should provide an official document that bears your legal name in full. Apart from this, the document should possess the following:
- The name of the program that makes you eligible
- The name of the government, program administrator, university, school district, college, or Tribal entity that issued the document
- An issue date within the last 12 months or, better still, the future expiration date of the program.
Typically, some of the eligibility documents that you should submit include:
- An approval letter
- A benefit verification letter
- A benefit award letter
- A statement of benefits
On the other hand, if you qualify due to having a low income, you must be ready to present a document that has your full legal and contains your annual income. Here, your document should clearly show that you earn an income at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines of your state. Some of the eligibility documents that can help you prove this include:
- A current income statement from your employer
- A Social Security statement of benefits
- A prior year’s federal, state, or tribal tax return
- A paycheck stub
- Your worker’s or unemployment compensation statement of benefits.
- A child support award
- A divorce decree
- A pension or retirement statement of benefits
It is imperative to note that only citizens 18 years and above are allowed to participate in this program. However, there are exceptions, as emancipated minors can now apply for this program and reap its benefits.
Although these individuals are allowed to participate in the ACP program, they have to prove that they are indeed emancipated. Thankfully, they can now prove this with a certification of emancipation, an official court document, or any other document with their full legal name and a confirmation that they are genuinely emancipated.
Applying Guideline for the MetroPCS ACP 2023
If you want to apply for the MetroPCS ACP program, there are a couple of steps that you should follow. To put this into perspective, you should follow these steps:
- To start with, ensure that you are eligible for the MetroPCS ACP program
- Once you have established that you are eligible for this program, you can now go ahead and make your application via the National Verifier. Here, you should visit “acpbenefit.org” and then fill out the application form that you will find there. Ideally, you should key in all your personal details and attach all the necessary documentation. In case your application is approved, you will be able to receive an ID number. Once you are done, this verifier will either give you a go-ahead or deny your application altogether.
- You are now set to join MetroPCS with the ID number at hand. If you are a new customer, consider visiting your nearest brick-and-mortar store to get started. To locate a store near you, consider visiting “https://www.metrobyt-mobile.com/storelocator”.
- Thereafter, select a Metro ACP plan alongside a free 5G mobile phone.
- Since you have an ID number from the National Verifier, time is ripe for you to enroll in the ACP program. Here, you can visit https://www.metrobyt-mobile.com/my-account/profile and fill out the application form online. Once you fill out this form, you will be able to receive a text message indicating whether you have successfully enrolled in the MetroPCS ACP program or not.
In Which Areas Does MetroPCS Provide ACP Service
As far as the coverage of MetroPCS is concerned, it is important to note that not all areas are covered. However several states of the US are covered by this carrier. Some of these states include; Minnesota, Michigan, Montana, North Carolina, Colorado, Arkansas, Nevada, Nebraska, Hawaii, Georgia, Florida, Maine, Delaware, Connecticut, District of Columbia, New Jersey, South Carolina, South Dakota, Utah, Texas, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Puerto Rico, Washington, among others. Therefore, if you reside in any of these states, you will be able to enjoy the ACP program offered by this carrier.
Benefits MetroPCS ACP if I Qualify For ACP
The MetroPCS Affordable Connectivity Program comes with a plethora of benefits. As we earlier illustrated, this program allows you to get a free 5G phone alongside discounted cell phone plans. Here, all eligible households will enjoy a discount of up to $30. However, those residing on Tribal lands will enjoy a $75 discount every month. Regardless of the plan, you choose to use, be sure that you will enjoy the following ACP benefits:
- Free unlimited texts
- Free unlimited calls
- Scam Shield with free Scam ID
- Free 5G of high-speed smartphone data
- Access to the T-Mobile network(Which is America’s largest 5G network)
- Free Caller ID
- Free Scam block
Apart from this, there are other discounted, and free MetroPCS PLANS that you can choose from. Depending on your budget, choose the plans that suit your needs and you will be able to enjoy different offers. These include:
1. Unlimited plan for $30 a month ($60 without ACP)
If you choose this plan, you will be able to enjoy:
- Unlimited text
- Talk Time Unlimited
- Unlimited high-speed data
- 100GB of Google One cloud storage
- 15GB of hotspot data
- 5G network access
- Amazon Prime subscription
2. Unlimited plans for $20 a month (It goes for $50 without the ACP)
The above-mentioned plan offers the following:
- Unlimited high-speed data
- Text Unlimited
- Unlimited talk
- 5G Network access
- 100 GB of Google One cloud storage
- 5GB of hotspot data
3. $10 a month ACP plan (It goes for $40 devoid of ACP)
If you choose this plan, you will enjoy the following offers:
- Unlimited text
- Unlimited talk
- 5G network access
- 10GB of high-speed data
- Ability to enjoy a $10 a month unlimited once you switch with one line
4. Free ACP plan (Which goes for $30 without the ACP program)
Once you settle for this plan, you will be able to enjoy the following offers:
- Unlimited text
- Unlimited talk
- 5G network access
- 5GB of high-speed data
Frequently Ask Questions
Does MetroPCS Offer Free Tablets Under Affordable Connectivity Program?
No. Unfortunately, this carrier does not offer free tablets under the ACP program. Instead, it offers all eligible households a free 5G enabled smartphone, alongside discounted cell phone plans.
How Long Does To Take Approval for Metro ACP Benefits?
The approval timelines might vary due to demand and other related factors. However, you can expect your application to be approved within 2 to 3 days.
Can I use ACP for phone and Internet at the same time?
Yes. Once you are eligible for this program, you will get a free 5G smartphone alongside discounted data plans that will help you save more on your communication costs.
Is ACP the same as a lifeline?
No. Although these programs are meant to bridge the digital divide among Americans, they are pretty different. For instance, the Lifeline program is one of the permanent programs that the FCC initiated to allow low-income earners to access affordable cell phone plans and get free mobile devices from the government.
On the other hand, the ACP program is a relatively new program meant to offer additional support to struggling households to remain related post the pandemic period.
Can I receive Lifeline and MetroPCS ACP at the same time?
Yes. As we speak, you can now receive both the Lifeline and MetroPCS ACP simultaneously. All you need to do is apply for the ACP program, and you will enjoy the benefits of both programs on the go. After all, if you are currently a beneficiary of the Lifeline program, be sure that you automatically qualify to enjoy the benefits of the ACP program.
Is the ACP program permanent?
Unlike the EBB program initiated to ensure that all struggling households remain connected during the pandemic, this one is a permanent program. As a result, it is here to stay.