Are you looking for a free tablet for your child? Worry not as you can now get a free tablet from government. As we speak, the Federal government offers discounted tablets to all eligible individuals living in the United States via the Affordable Connectivity Program. With this program in place, you will be able to get a one-time discount that allows you to purchase your desired tablet more affordably. Since the tablet will come at a discount of up to $100, be certain that it is almost free. Since most Americans are looking for a way to get a free tablet for their child, we shall take a closer look at that, the requirements one needs to meet, the process of applying for a free tablet and so much more.
2 Valid Ways To Get A Free Tablet For Your Child
If you want to get a free tablet for your child, be certain that you can get it from the government or be able to save more bucks. Better still, you can get a free tablet for your child from charity and non-profit organizations that operate in your state. In the subsequent section, we shall discuss these options better so that you can choose the one that suits your needs.
1. From Government
Like we mentioned above, the Federal government now allows you to get a ‘free’ or discounted tablet once you qualify for its ACP facility. When applying for the ACP facility, you can readily get started by visiting the National Verifier and making your application from that end. You can also apply via your preferred ACP service provider.
The good news is that many carriers now participate in the Affordable Connectivity Program. If you are to get a tablet from government, you will have to part with at least $10 and not more than $50 towards the purchase of your preferred tablet. On the other hand, the government will offer a one-time discount of up to $100 to enable you buy your child’s tablet less expensively.
2. From non-profit organizations and charity groups
Besides the government, you can now get a free tablet from charity and non-profit organizations. Fortunately, there are many organizations that offer free tablets to eligible individuals living in the Unites States. As long as you are genuinely in need of a tablet and cannot afford one, these organizations are ready to ensure that you get a free model right away.
If You Want To Get a Tablet From the Government, Which Eligibility Requirements Should You Meet
By now, you are aware that you can now get a free tablet via the ACP facility. However, for you to benefit from the Affordable Connectivity Program, you need to ensure that you are eligible for the facility first. When it comes to eligibility requirements of this program, you should ensure that your income stands at or is below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
If you do not qualify via the above-mentioned low income criteria, you should ensure that you are a participant of a government assistance program such as:
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program(SNAP)
- Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8)
- Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children(WIC)
- You are a beneficiary of the Federal Pell Grant during the current award year
- You are a beneficiary of the Free and Reduced-price school breakfast program or school lunch program, including via the USDA Community Eligibility Provision in the 2019-2020, 2020-2021, 2021-2022 school year.
Apart from the programs that we have mentioned above, if you live in Tribal lands, you can now get a free tablet in case you are a beneficiary of any of the following programs:
- Tribal Head Start(Only those who meet the much-needed income qualifying criteria are eligible)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
- Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families(Tribal TANF)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
Documents Needed When You Applying For A Free Tablet For Your Child
When applying for a free tablet for your child, you should submit certain documents so that you can prove both your identity and eligibility status. If you want to prove your identity, you should submit copies of documents that contain essential details such as your name in full, your date of birth, place of residence, and so forth. Some of the personal documents that contain these details include:
- A copy of your government-issued, state, military or Tribal ID
- A copy of your U.S driver’s license
- A copy of your permanent resident card or Green Card
- A copy of your birth certificate
- A copy of your certificate of U.S citizenship or naturalization
To prove your residence, consider submitting any of the following documents:
- A copy of your lease or mortgage statement
- A copy of your W-2 or tax return (Recent copies)
- A copy of your utility bill
As far as eligibility documents are concerned, it is imperative to note that you can submit a copy of a document that shows that you earn a low income or are a participant of a government assistance program. In case your income stands at or is below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines, consider submitting any of the following documents during the application process:
- A copy of your current income statement from your employer
- A copy of your paycheck stub
- A copy of Veteran Administration statement of benefits
- A copy of Unemployment or workmen’s compensation statement of benefits
- A copy of your retirement statement of benefits
- A copy of the Federal or Tribal notice letter of participation in General Assistance
- A copy of your Social Security statement of benefits
- A copy of your prior year’s Federal, state, or Tribal tax return
Suppose you are a beneficiary of a government assistance program such as Medicaid, SNAP, SSI, Section 8 or WIC, consider submitting any of the following documents:
- A copy of your benefit verification letter
- A copy of your statement of benefits
- A copy of your benefit award letter
- A copy of your approval letter
Also, you should ensure that you are 18 years and above so that you can apply for the ACP facility. In case you are emancipated, be certain that you can now apply for ACP and be able to get a free tablet for your child. However, you must submit a copy of a court order or certificate of emancipation in order to prove that you are truly emancipated.
Steps To Apply For A Free Tablet For Your Child
When applying for a free tablet for you child, there are 3 main methods that can help you get started. Here, you are free to either apply via mail, online or ACP service provider. In the subsequent sections, we shall discuss these methods in details so that you can know them better:
1. Apply via online
To apply for a free tablet via the online method, consider following these steps:
- Go to your computer and visit “nv.fcc.gov/lifeline/?id=nv_flow&ebbp=true”
- Once you visit the site, you will be redirected to a page where you will find the ACP online application form.
- Here, you will be required to key in your name, date of birth, your Social Security Number, among other finer details. For optimal results, ensure that you enter the right details.
- Remember to attach soft copies of your personal and eligibility documents as required to your application form.
- Check whether everything is right and then tap on the ‘Submit’ button.
2. Apply via mail
Besides the online method, you can choose to apply for a free tablet via mail. Here are the steps that you should follow:
- Visit “affordableconnectivity.gov/wp-content/uploads/ACP-Application-Form-English.pdf” and then download the ACP form in English.
- Once you download the form, go ahead and print it so that you can have it in its physical form.
- Visit “affordableconnectivity.gov/wp-content/uploads/lifeline/images/ACP-Household-Worksheet-English.pdf” and then download the Household worksheet.
- Fill the ACP form and the household worksheet with your details.
- Attach copies of your personal and eligibility documents to the application form.
- Check whether everything is right and then send the package to the ACP Support Center using the following address; PO Box 7081, London, KY 40742.
3. Apply via your service provider
Currently, there are many service providers that offer the ACP facility in different states. Depending on your state, you can now go ahead and choose your preferred carrier and then apply for a free tablet from that end.
As you choose your preferred service provider, ensure that you choose a reliable carrier and one that offers more ACP benefits. Once you choose your preferred carrier, you can now visit its official website and then apply for the ACP facility.
During the application, you will be required to key in your personal details such as your name, date of birth, SSN, among other details. Enter these details and then attach copies of your personal and eligibility documents. Check and confirm that everything is right and then submit your application form.
Once you submit your application form, the carrier’s team will review it and then respond to you. If you met its ACP’s eligibility requirements, you will be able to get a one-time discount of up to $100 to buy your desired tablet, alongside discounted cell phone plans. However, you will be required to contribute at least $10 and not more than $50 towards the purchase of the tablet.
Other Benefits That Comes With A Free Tablet
Once you obtain a free tablet from the ACP facility, there are other benefits that you are bound to enjoy. Some of these benefits include:
- $30 discount on a monthly basis if you live on Non-Tribal lands
- $75 discount on a monthly basis if you reside on Tribal lands.
- Unlimited talk
- Unlimited text
- Unlimited mobile data
- Free mobile hotspot data(This might vary from one carrier to another)
- A good network coverage
With the tablet in place, your child will be able to learn online. Besides this, the tablet will keep the child connected with his or her loved ones. Finally, you can use the tablet to watch movies, stream online content, surf the internet and so much more.
Carriers That Offer Free Tablets In America
Some of the reputable carriers that offer free or discounted tablets in the United States include:
- Easy Wireless
- Cintex Wireless
- AirTalk Wireless
- NewPhone Wireless
- StandUp Wireless
- Maxsip Wireless
- Qlink Wireless
- Go Technology Management
Besides The ACP Service Providers, How Else You Can Get A Free Tablet For Your Child
Apart from the service providers that we have mentioned above, trust that you can now get a free tablet for your child from non-profit organizations and programs such as:
- PCs for People
- Human I-T
- Computer Technology Corps(CTAC)
- World Computer Exchange
- Microsoft Registered Refurbished
- Komputer 4 Kids
- The On It Foundation
- Technology Assisting People In Need
Besides the non-profit organizations mentioned above, you can get a free or discounted tablet via the following other methods:
- Look out for a retailer who might be selling tablets at a budget-friendly price. Such is ideal during holidays or during the end of the year.
- Look out for a carrier who offers free tablets to customers who switch to their network. Better still, such carriers reward their customers with a free or discounted tablet once you add a line or purchase an unlimited plan. Also, you might have a chance to trade in an old phone and get a discounted tablet from these carriers.
- Work as a product reviewer
- Be an marketing agent
- Consider online giveaways. However, you must be careful not to be scammed.
Frequently Ask Questions
Any Limitations To Getting A Free Tablet For My Child
Yes. The following are the some of the things that can hinder or limit you from getting a free tablet for your kid:
- You do not live in the United States
- Your income is above 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines
- You are not a beneficiary of a government assistance program such as Medicaid, SNAP, SSI, Section 8 or any other Tribal-based program
- You keyed in the wrong details on the application form
- You did not attach copies of personal and eligibility documents to your application form
Can I Upgrade to A Free Government Tablet?
Well, it all depends on where you obtained your free government tablet from. However, most non-profit organizations do not allow you to upgrade the tablet that they offered you a few years or months ago. When it comes to ACP service providers, some of them might charge you to get an upgrade.