VPN is a technology that provides a secure and encrypted connection over the internet, allowing you to access the internet privately. VPN is an abbreviation for Virtual Private Network. The primary purpose of a VPN is to protect privacy and security, especially when accessing the internet from public Wi-Fi. You can also use VPN when accessing sensitive information that you don’t want to leak to other parties. There are two types of VPN, paid and free VPN. However, our concern today is free internet VPN.
Free VPNs are increasingly becoming important in today’s digital age due to the growing number of cyber threats and the need to protect personal information. However, it is essential to note that free VPNs often have limitations and may provide a different level of security and privacy than paid VPNs. In this article, we shall discuss the best free VPNs to help you browse the internet securely. Follow closely to learn more!
How Does Free Internet VPN Work
A free VPN routes your internet traffic through a server operated by the VPN provider. This means, you will access your content through their server. The server primarily acts as an intermediary, hiding your IP address and encrypting the data transmitted between the user and the internet. The encryption protects your online activities from being intercepted by unauthorized parties such as hackers, government agencies, or internet service providers.
A free VPN:
- It hides your internet activities from being accessed by snooping parties which guarantees you privacy.
- It enables you to evade censorship.
- It enables you to access all the information from the geo-located area.
- It enables you to protect your data from malicious people like hackers.
As you have seen, APNs can be crucial if you deal with sensitive data or information you do not want to leak. In the sections below, you learn some free VPNs you can subscribe to and use freely. Kindly note that the free APN may not protect some of your information, which may force you to use the paid APN.
6 Best Free Internet VPNs in 2023
1. Express VPN
Express VPN is a famous VPN software that secures you from scammers in the United States. If you like streaming videos and listening to music from music stores, Express VPN software allows you to access such content securely. It does not log IP addresses, DNS queries, traffic destinations, or browsing history, making it one of the best VPNs in the United States.
Express VPN has leak proofing and encryption facilities that offer online protection to its users. Such facilities ensure that your data is encrypted and the IP address is hidden. Express VPN has servers across the United States in cities like New York, Chicago, Seattle, etc. when you make an annual subscription, you are typically given three months free.
- It offers good privacy for all your internet activity.
- It does not keep IP address, browsing history, and DNS query.
- Protects your privacy from hackers.
- They have excellent customer service.
- You are free to select from multiple protocols.
- It is compatible with Netflix, HBO, and Hulu.
- It helps you curb censorship in any country.
- It is so expensive than other VPNs
- It may be complex to set up.
2. Nord VPN
Nord free internet VPN is among the best VPNs in the USA and is known for not tracking, gathering, or sharing your data with third parties. It secures your data by encrypting the data sent and received. Nord VPN has more than 5000 servers across more than fifty-nine countries. It supports Linux, Windows, MacOS, and iOS and gives you a 30-day trial once you subscribe. Nord VPN allows you to access numerous streaming websites with no hassle.
- It has strong security when browsing.
- It does not have DNS leaks.
- The free VPN for USA residents offers a double VPN.
- It is among the fastest VPNs.
- You can select the fastest USA VPN server in your current location.
- There are several payment methods that you can use to pay for the services.
- Only a few services that support torrenting services.
- Many users complain that NordVPN configurations with OpenVPN are not user-friendly.
Surfshark is one of the best VPNs in the United States that offers secure and fast access to streaming sites. It prides itself on security features like OpenVPN and IKEv2 tunneling protocols which also increase the speed. Additionally, it secures your sensitive data, besides keeping your location private.
Surfshark hides your real IP address, which protects you from any person trying to your identity. Additionally, it does not log your IP address or WebRTC and does not have DNS leaks. Surfshark is among the best VPN services offering P2P connections on specific servers across the country. It supports android, iOS, Linux, Windows, and FireTV, with over 3200 servers in sixty-five countries. Once you subscribe to them, you are guaranteed up to 30 days of a free trial of their services.
- It offers anonymous browsing with good security.
- It has unlimited bandwidth, which sears streaming.
- There is a wide range of customer support.
- It uses AES-256 encryption protocols.
- It offers stable convection with the best speeds.
- You can bypass your location without proxy detection.
- You cannot access the Tor browser via Surfshark VPN.
- The setup configuration is somehow complicated.
- It has a weak social media presence.
IPVanish VPN offers end-to-end encryption for all your network. It provides the best VPNs in the United States for Virtual Private Networks in several smartphones. You are guaranteed security when browsing, sharing files, and streaming videos. IPVanish software has the capability to suggest the fastest server around you.
IPVanish supports several platforms like iOS, Android, Linux, Windows, Mac, and FireOS and has servers in over 75 countries. Additionally, it has servers in over seventy-five servers that support split tunneling. Once you subscribe, you will get a 30-day free trial with unlimited simultaneous connections.
- You can access censored media.
- It is free to hide all your private data.
- You can encrypt your data in any public network.
- You are typically secured from snoopers when connected to public Wi-Fi.
- It prevents ISP from spying on your traffic.
- It does not have good customer service.
- Some clients have privacy concerns.
5. Atlas VPN
Atlas VPN gives you room to discover safer internet. It offers the best class-in-class Wireguard that secures your streams or gaming services. Besides, you are usually guaranteed security when browsing. The VPN supports Mac, Windows, and Android, with over 750 servers in 37 countries. Atlas VPN allows you to access the internet from several IP addresses simultaneously. It is compatible with YouTube TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu.
- They have decent daily speeds.
- It has a WireGuard tunneling protocol that supports you.
- All servers, local and faraway, offer similar speeds.
- It has optimized Android and iOS apps.
- It has built-in 2-factor authentication, which is an added security feature.
- You are guaranteed 24/7 support via email chat.
- They do not have a Linux setup
- It does not offer dedicated IP addresses.
CyberGhost is one of the best VPNs that unblock geo-restricted websites without leaking your data. The VPN is a savior to all users who like video streaming on websites with geo-restrictions. The CyberGhost allows you to access NoSpy servers that typically encrypt your private data using the latest technique, 256-bit AES.
The VPN notifies you whenever your connection becomes insecure, especially in the public network. The VPN supports several platforms like Linux, Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android and has servers in 88 countries. Once you subscribe to their services, you are generally free to choose from more than 1200 servers. Besides, you will also get a 45-days free trial to enjoy its services.
- You can easily hide your IP and surf anonymously.
- You can access all the content while traveling because of many servers across the country.
- You can connect to public Wi-Fi safely without fearing snoopers.
- They have dedicated servers for gaming and streaming.
- It has top internet speed with unlimited bandwidth.
- It has some slow servers and affects network speed.
- You can experience software crashes sometimes.
- It is hard to manage usernames and passwords.
Benefits Of Using Free Internet VPN
Using VPNs when using the internet is beneficial in many ways. Here are some benefits you will get when using a free internet VPN compared to those who do not.
- Privacy and security: Do you want to access sensitive data without being noticed by hackers? A VPN will encrypt your internet traffic and hide your IP address and location. This helps to protect your online privacy and security by making it difficult for hackers, advertisers, and governments to track your online activities. Besides, it also hides your identity when you are accessing sensitive information.
- Bypassing internet censorship: Several entities restrict access to the information on their website to specific countries. However, a free VPN can help you bypass internet censorship and access websites or services blocked in your country or region. Kindly note that some information may force you to pay for the VPN.
- Protecting Online Activities: Do you have an online business and are scared of its security? A free VPN is here for you. It can help to protect your online activities from being intercepted and stolen by cybercriminals. These are online activities like banking or online shopping. Although there are features you may not get with a free VPN, a free VPN will help you with basic security.
- Accessing restricted Content: As mentioned above, several entities usually restrict access to their information in specific countries. Fortunately, a free VPN can help you access websites, online services, and restricted content based on location. It does so by hiding your geolocation and IP, granting you access to the content. For instance, you can use VPN to access Hulu services from a location where its services are unavailable.
Drawbacks Of Free Internet VPN
Despite giving you the above benefits, a free VPN has several drawbacks, as discussed in the section below.
- Limited Data Usage: If you are using a free VPN, you may encounter data transfer restrictions. Most free VPNs have data usage restrictions, which limit the amount of data you can transfer monthly. This is unfortunate, especially if you want to use a VPN for high-bandwidth activities, like video streaming or downloading large files.
- Slow speed: You may experience slower speed with free VPNs than with paid VPNs due to the high demand for their service. Besides, server congestion and limited bandwidth are likely to cause slower speeds. This will make it difficult to perform tasks requiring fast internet speeds, such as streaming video or playing online games.
- Less reliable than paid VPN: Free VPNs mostly experience more downtime, technical issues, or server crashes than paid VPNs making them unreliable. Additionally, you will not get full customer support and enough resources to maintain its service if you are on a free VPN. This will lead to a less reliable VPN experience.
- Potential Security Risks: It is good to note that some free VPNs may contain malware, spyware, or other security risks. Additionally, free VPNs may collect and sell your data to third parties, compromising your privacy and security and putting their sensitive information at risk. So, choosing a reputable and trustworthy free VPN with clear and transparent privacy policies is essential.
Choose The Right Free Internet VPN For You
As seen above, some free services can expose your data in vulnerable circumstances. To help you select the exemplary VPN service for you, here are some fundamental guidelines you need to follow.
Know the features of all the free internet VPNs
Before you start using the VPN, it is essential to research the features of different VPNs to determine which one best meets your needs. Some of the factors you need to consider may include the following;
- The number of servers.
- The number of countries covered.
- Type of encryption used.
- Type of logging policy.
- The availability of customer support.
Choose one that best serves your need
You can choose the VPN that best meets your needs based on your research and the required features. For example, if you need a VPN for privacy and security, search for a VPN that uses strong encryption, has a no-logging policy, and has a good reputation for privacy and security. If you need a VPN for streaming, look for a VPN that has fast speeds and servers located in countries where the content you want to access is available.
Alternative To Free Internet VPN
If free VPN doesn’t offer the much needed security, there is an alternative VPN that you should give a try. This is the paid VPN. Let’s know more about paid VPN in a section below:
1. What is a paid VPN?
A paid VPN is a subscription-based service that provides a secure, encrypted connection to the internet. VPN primarily allows you to hide your internet activity from others by routing your internet traffic through a remote server. Paid VPNs typically offer more advanced features, better security and privacy protections, and faster speeds than free VPNs. They also often have more server locations, which can help you access more websites and online content worldwide. A paid VPN is a more secure and reliable option for those who value their privacy and online security and are willing to pay for it.
2. Free VPN VS Paid VPN
Free VPNs and Paid VPNs encrypt your internet traffic and hide your online activity and personal information. However, there are several key differences between the two VPNs, which include the following;
- Security: In terms of safety, paid VPNs typically offer more robust security measures than free VPNs. Such measures include stronger encryption and advanced security protocols, which you will not get in a free VPN.
- Speed: Paid VPNs provide more bandwidth, facilitating faster speeds than free VPNs. Additionally, paid VPN offers more resources, minimizing competition between those seeking the services.
- Server locations: Paid VPNs often have a more comprehensive range of server locations, which can help you access more content from around the world than free VPNs.
- Customer support: You will likely get better customer service support with paid VPNs than free VPNs. Generally, VPN providers offer better customer support if you use paid VPN services. The dedicated support teams are available to help you with any issues, compared to free VPNs.
- Privacy: Paid VPNs generally have more robust privacy policies, with less data collection and sharing with third parties than free VPNs. However, ensure that you go through the terms and conditions of the VPN you want to get before installing and start using their services.
3. Advantages of Paid VPN over Free VPN
Getting a paid VPN is more advantageous than a free VPN in several ways, which include:
- Paid VPNs are more reliable and secure. As seen above, paid VPNs have more robust security measures and extensive network infrastructure than free VPNs. This makes paid VPNs more reliable and secure than free ones.
- Paid VPNs have a fast speed. You will likely encourage faster speeds with paid VPNs than free ones. Typically, paid VPNs have a better bandwidth allocation than free VPNs, which often suffer from slow connection speeds due to overloading.
- No ads with paid VPNs. Paid VPNs do not show any ads, unlike many free VPNs that display pop-up ads, banners, and other forms of advertising. As seen above, free VPNs usually run advertisements, which can sometimes be annoying.
- Paid VPNs have more servers to select from. Paid VPNs offer more servers in many locations, which gives you more options to choose from.
Free VPN vs. Paid – Which Should You Get
Free and paid VPNs can both serve your needs. However, you must have a concrete reason to use a specific VPN, either free or paid. For instance, if you are looking for a VPN that will give you extra privacy on your daily browsing, you need to get a paid VPN. For example, if you want to stream from BBC iPlayer and Netflix or access advanced features on the VPN you are using, you must pay to enjoy them. Additionally, you must have a paid VPN to keep it running all the time and avoid connection problems. However, a free VPN can work well for you if you want to use it for basic purposes.
Are free VPNs safe?
Free VPNs can offer basic protection, but they also have potential security risks, such as malware and data collection. Therefore, choosing a trustworthy free VPN with clear privacy policies and security measures is essential. Paid VPNs offer more robust protection and a better VPN experience but may be more expensive.
Are VPNs Legal in the US?
Yes, the US government has authorized VPNs for all citizens to protect their data. This means that you are free to browse the internet using VPNs. Actually, many companies are using VPNs to protect their sensitive data from malicious hackers. They also use the VPN software to regulate the data access to their employees working remotely. However, it is good to note that VPN does not exempt you from other US laws. For example, if you break copyright laws, using the VPN will not exempt you from prosecution.
Can I Watch US Netflix with a Free VPN?
Yes, you can watch US Netflix with a free VPN. However, very few free VPNs allow you to watch Netflix when writing this article, such as PrivadoVPN and VPNhub. In the future, you may see many VPNs will emerge and increase the number of free VPNs. Luckily, you can stream endlessly without experiencing a data cap on US Netflix with VPNhub. However, PrivadoVPN is only limited to mobile devices only.
Is there a completely free VPN?
Yes, ProtonVPN is typically regarded as one of the free VPNs you can find in the market, offering no data cap. It provides unlimited data, which allows you to surf the web without limitation. Advertisements often support free VPNs and have limited bandwidth and server options. Besides, they may collect and sell your data to third parties without your knowledge. So, be cautious when using free VPNs and thoroughly research the company and its policies before using their VPN software.
When might a free VPN not be a good choice?
A free VPN may not be a good choice, especially when accessing sensitive internet data. You may have to get a paid VPN to help you to give you advanced security features to secure data from hackers. Additionally, if you are a company that allows its users to work remotely, you may not want a free VPN when giving them access to company files.
Should I use a free Internet VPN?
Yes, you can use free VPNs; however, they are unsafe compared to pay VPNs. If you are accessing sensitive data, you might be forced to get a paid VPN not to risk your privacy. Also, you will likely experience slower internet speeds with a free VPN due to congestion compared to paid VPN. As mentioned above, when looking for free software, do not use software that can compromise your security login and sell your data to third parties.
Does VPN hide my identity?
Yes, VPN hides your identity on the internet by masking your IP address without hassle. Additionally, VPNs provide good security that makes you anonymous when surfing the internet.
Does VPN slow down my device’s operation?
Yes, when using a free VPN, you will likely experience slow operations with your device. This is mainly caused by congestion due to many users seeking the VPN service.