In these modern times, the world has turned their back on landline phones and diverted most attention on modern smartphones. This has made landline phones so scarce in the market, unlike in the old days. If you still fancy landline phones over modern cellphones, all is not lost because there are a number of providers that still offer landline phone services. Might you be wondering why you still need landline phone services regardless of the invention of modern-time phones? The truth is that landline phone services are more reliable compared to cell phones especially if you reside in rural areas. This is because landline phones experience no poor network reception. Landline phones are also designed with an incredibly better sound for quality talking and listening. Landline phones are also the best deals for phone users that need simple-to-use features.
Do you need to enjoy all the above benefits but can’t afford a landline phone service? Worry not because the government now offers free government landline phone services to qualified low-income consumers through lifeline. To access free government landline services however, there are eligibility criteria to meet. Besides, you need to gather a number of relevant documents. In this guide today, I’ll discuss in detail how to access free government landline phone service, eligibility requirements, and documents required, among other important information.
Government Free Landline Phone Program
Fortunately, Government offers free or discounted landline phone services to qualified low-income households. All you need to do is ensure you qualify for these services and are good to go. Once you qualify, visit your selected service provider and apply for government-free landline phone service.
The good news is that several service providers work closely with the government to offer free landline phone services. Keep reading this guide to learn more about providers that offer free government landline phone services.
Programs That Offer Free Government Landline Phone Service
Government offers free government landline phone services through a program called lifeline. Lifeline is a federal government program that was initiated to offer free or discounted telecommunication services to all qualified low income families. This program offers both cellular and landline phone services either for free or at a discounted price. This program collaborates with companies like standup wireless, AT&T and Verizon to offer free or discounted landline phone services to all qualified households. Please note that free landline phone services through lifeline program are limited to only one consumer per household.
Free landline phone services through lifeline are also non-transferrable among households and the discounts are offered one time per month. To qualify for free government landline phone services, you must first qualify for the government lifeline program. There are two ways through which you are considered eligible for lifeline program. This is through your income or program participation as discussed below:
1. Qualify through your income
This is where you are considered eligible for free government landline phone service if your income is below 135% of the federal poverty guideline. It’s crucial to mention that these guideline vary depending with the year, your state and family size. You should therefore check our table below and confirm your income guideline in 2023, subject to your state and household size. That way, you will be able to know whether you qualify for free government landline phone service or not.
2. You qualify through program participation
This is where you are considered eligible for free government landline phone service if you participate in any government assistance programs. These are both federal and tribal government assistance programs. Here is an example of these programs:
- Supplemental nutrition assistance program/ SNAP/ food stamps ( federal )
- Medicaid ( federal )
- Supplemental security income ( federal )
- Federal public housing assistance program ( federal )
- Veterans pension and survivors benefit ( federal )
- Bureau of Indian affairs general assistance ( tribal )
- Head start ( tribal )
- Tribal temporary assistance for needy families ( tribal )
- Food distribution program on Indian reservations ( tribal )
4 Steps To Get Free Government Landline Phone Service
Do you qualify for free government landline phone service? The next step should be applying for these services. To apply for these services, you should first fill lifeline application form, submit the form, get approval then contact your service provider to access these benefits. Here is a detailed process on how to qualify for free government landline phone service:
1. Gather all relevant documents
Before filling lifeline application form, you should first get your documents ready. Basically, these are documents with eligibility and identity proof. Below are example of documents required:
- Identity documents: U.S driver’s license, Your passport, Permanent resident card, Individual Taxpayer Identification Number(ITIN) document, Government, state, military or Tribal ID, Birth certificate, Certificate of U.S citizenship or naturalization or Green card
- Income eligibility documents: Child’s support award, Social security statement of benefits, Veteran administration document, Pension statement of benefits, Federal/tribal or state tax return copy, Your prior year’s federal, state or Tribal tax return, A copy of your current income statement, Your paycheck stub, Divorce decree, Unemployment or worker’s or Pension or retirement statement of benefits
- Program eligibility documents: Tribal Head Start verification letter, Food Distribution Programs on Indian Reservations approval letter, Federal public housing assistance approval letter, Veterans pension and survivors benefits award letter Supplemental Security Income benefit award letter, Medicaid approval letter or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance program statement of benefit
2. Fill lifeline application form
Once you get all you documents ready, you should now fill your lifeline application form. This is through the federal communications commission national verifier page. To fill your lifeline application form, follow the following procedure:
- Open lifeline website
- Choose your state or territory and tap on “ get started”
- Provide your full name, exactly as shown on your identity documents
- Enter your date of birth
- Enter your identity verification, home address and tap “ next”
- Follow the on-screen instructions as you provide all the required information
- Attach your identity, eligibility documents and submit the form
3. Get approval
After submitting the form, the national verifier will go through your application and give approval. Note that your application approval may delay depending with the state of your application form. If the form is in the right state, the national verifier will approve your form within few hours. However, if the form is not accurately or clearly answered, the national verifier will delay to give an approval.
4. Choose a service provider
After approval, you should now choose a wireless service provider that offer free landline phone service. Once you select your provider, sign up for their services and start accessing your free government landline phone service. Below are examples of providers that you should select.
4 Best Providers That Offer Free Government Landline Phone Service
By far, you already know that the next step after getting your lifeline application approval is to select a provider and receive your free landline phone services. There are a number of providers that you can select. However, you should ensure that your provider of choice offers services in your state. The easiest way of determining that your provider has services in your area is visiting this page data.usac.org/publicreports/CompaniesNearMe/Download/Report, enter your ZIP code and search for available providers. Here is an example of providers that offer free government landline phone service in various states:
AT&T is one of the most prominent service provider that offers free landline phone services through the lifeline program. As long as you are a qualifying household, you will be able to get a huge discount on your monthly landline bills with AT&T.
Once you qualify, AT&T will help you to lower the cost of your home phone service by offering a discount of $5.25 per month and an additional discount of $25 per month for qualified residents on tribal lands.
Please note that AT&T lifeline discounts on landline services are available across selected states in the US. You should therefore contact ATT customer care service team and inquire whether lifeline discounts on landline phone services are available in your area.
Once you confirm, you can now apply for AT&T free landline phone services through calling the number: 800.288.2020 every weekday from 6 AM to 6 PM for all California residents. If you are outside California, you should contact the number 877.511.0450 every weekdays, 8 am to 8 pm and apply for free landline phone services.
Verizon is another reliable service provider that offers discounted landline phone services to all qualified lifeline households. As long as you qualify for lifeline, you will be privileged to enjoy huge discounts on Verizon home phone service.
Once you qualify, you should contact on 1.800. VERIZON and begin receiving your discounted landline phone services. Please note that Verizon government landline services vary depending with your state of residence.
If you qualify for the government lifeline program, you can also access cheap landline phone services from CenturyLink. As long as you qualify for CenturyLink lifeline, you will be able to receive a discount of up to $5.25 towards our landline voice services.
4. Standup wireless
This is another incredible service provider that offers free landline phone services via lifeline program. Through standup lifeline, you will be able to receive a monthly discount of $5.25 towards voice services and up to $9.25 towards broadband services.
4 Best Free Government Landline Phones Review
As of now, we havenot come across any lifeline service provider that offers free government landline phones. However, some companies like Verizon, offer landline phones at a cheaper price. Besides, you can find low cost landline phones from stores like amazon. Below, we bring you a list of the best and cheapest landline phones to consider:
- EL52113 cordless phone system: This is a very cheap, yet reliable landline phone that is designed with several advanced features. It is designed with large displays and big buttons for easy use. The latter is also designed with voicemail waiting indicator2, audible speakers and a large phonebook that can store up to 50 names and contact.
- EL52100 cordless phone system: This is another cheap cordless phone system that allows call waiting, caller ID, call intercept and remote access. The phone is available from AT&T from as low as 34.95$. With this device, you will enjoy features like: voicemail waiting idnicator2, 10 number speed dial and a phonebook that can accommodate up to 100 names and numbers.
- CL4940 cordless speaker phone: This is another incredibly cheap landline phone that is designed with extra-large buttons and screen display for easy use. The phone also features an extra loud ringer, audio assist, an equalizer for customized audio, visual ringing indicator and a receiver volume control. This makes this system very ideal for senior users. You can find this phone at a very cheap price from sites like Amazon.
- Trimline corded phone- 210M: You can also access this reliable device for less from sites like amazon. It is a sturdy device that is designed with a very durable performance. It is also an easy to use device that is made of incredible features like, a receiver volume control, ringer volume control, hearing aid compatibility and a one-touch memory buttons.
Landline phones are built with simple to use features making them ideal for seniors. As a result, low income seniors are highly prioritized by service providers that offer free landline phone services through lifeline program. However, free landline phone services through lifeline are generally meant to benefit any qualified low-income consumer regardless of the age.