Gone and never to come are those days when one used to enjoy a good internet from his or her home only. As we speak, you can now enjoy a good internet connection even when you are miles away from your home. With hotspot device, you will be able to connect other devices such as your laptop, desktop computer, tablet, and other smartphones to the internet. Thankfully, you do not need to strain your budget in order to afford a hotspot device. This is because the Federal government can offer you a free hotspot device if at all you are eligible for one. In this article, we shall cover how one can get a free government hotspot, the eligibility requirements for this device, its benefits and so much more.
Government Program That Offers Free Hotspot Device
You need to apply for the Government Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) from your preferred carrier so that you can get a free hotspot device. Here, you might be lucky to get a 4G or 5G enabled device that can help you to keep other devices connected to the internet.
In case you apply for the Lifeline program, you will only be able to get a smartphone that you can use to connect to the internet, work online, learn online and so much more. However, you will not be able to get a free government hotspot device from this program.
Depending on your preferred ACP provider, the amount of Wi-Fi hotspot data amounts might vary. For example, TruConnect ACP facility will allow you to enjoy 8GB of Wi-Fi hotspot data while Lifeline Wireless ACP facility will permit you to enjoy 5GB of hotspot data. More importantly, ensure that you meet your carrier’s ACP requirements and you will be all set.
Carriers That Offer Free Hotspot Device Under Government Programs in 2023
Currently, there is a myriad of carriers that participate in the Affordable Connectivity Program. Others offer free government hotspot device via ACP+Lifeline combo plan. Some of the best carriers that can allow you to get a free government hotspot device via the ACP and or Lifeline program include:
1. Life Wireless
Once you apply for this carrier’s Lifeline program and be able to get a free government phone alongside unlimited minutes, unlimited text and 6GB of mobile data in case you live in California. However, if you live in country such as Alabama, you can go ahead and apply for its ACP program and get a free government phone alongside unlimited talk, text and 6GB of mobile data.
Finally, if you live in Minnesota, you can apply for its Lifeline program and get a free mobile device, alongside 500 minutes of talk, unlimited text and 4.5GB of mobile data. To apply for this carrier’s Lifeline and ACP program, visit “lifewireless.com” and then key in your ZIP code and email address. Thereafter, tap on the ‘Apply Now’ button.
2. SafeLink Wireless
You can now apply for SafeLink Lifeline program and be able to get a free smartphone and discounted cell phone plans. To put this into perspective, if you live in Arkansas and other states apart from California, you will get a free model and 350 minutes of talk, unlimited texts and 4.5GB of mobile data.
However, if you live in California, you will be able to get a free smartphone, unlimited texts, 6GB of mobile data and unlimited texts. To apply for this SafeLink Wireless Lifeline program, visit “safelinkwireless.com” and then key in your ZIP code. Thereafter, tap on the ‘Start’ button.
3. Access Wireless
Besides SafeLink Wireless, you can now get a free smartphone from Access Wireless and use it create a mobile hotspot. All you need to do is to apply for this carrier’s ACP and Lifeline program and be good to go.
If you meet the eligibility of ACP+Lifeline combo plan, you will be able to get a free smartphone, alongside unlimited text, unlimited talk, unlimited data (15GB of high speed data) and hotspot data. To apply for this carrier’s Lifeline +ACP, visit “accesswireless.com” and make your application from that end.
4. Tag Mobile
Apart from the carriers that we have discussed above, you can now apply for Tag Mobile’s Lifeline program and be able to get a free government phone that can be used as a mobile hotspot.
Besides the free government phone, you will be able to enjoy 3GB of mobile data, unlimited texts and unlimited minutes. Currently, you can visit “tagmobile.com” and then apply for this carrier’s Lifeline program.
5. American Wireless
This carrier offers free smartphones via its Lifeline program to all eligible customers living in the United States. Besides the free government smartphone, this carrier allows you to enjoy 4.5GB of mobile data, unlimited texts and minutes, among other offers.
However, if you live in California, you will enjoy 6GB of mobile data, unlimited text and talk. To apply for this carrier’s Lifeline Assistance program, visit “americanassistance.com/availability” and get started.
Other reputable carriers that offer free government hotspot devices include
- StandUp Wireless
- Assurance Wireless
- Boost Mobile
- AirTalk Wireless
- Cintex Wireless
- Easy Wireless
- C Spire Wireless
- Clarity Wireless
- Ready Wireless
- Unity Wireless
- Whoop Connect
Examples of Free Government Hotspot Devices
As far as free government hotspot devices are concerned, it is imperative to note that you can either get any of the following:
1. A mobile hotspot
With a mobile hotspot device in place, you will be able to enjoy free monthly internet and keep everyone connected to the internet. Some of the organizations that offer this device include:
- PCs for People
In case you cannot get a free modem or portable router, you can turn your smartphone into a mobile hotspot. The good news is that there are many carriers that allow you to get a smartphone that can be used a mobile hotspot. Some of the carriers that offer these smartphones include:
- American Wireless
- Access Wireless
- SafeLink Wireless
- Tag Mobile
- Life Wireless
- SafetyNet Wireless
- enTouch Wireless
As we speak, there are some carriers and organizations that allow you to get a discounted tablet that allow you to insert a SIM card. If you can insert a SIM card on this tablet, you will be able to connect the device to the internet and turn it into a mobile hotspot.
To obtain this device, you must meet ACP eligibility requirements and be ready to contribute at least $10 and not more than $50 towards purchasing your desired tablet. On the other hand, the carrier offering the ACP facility will offer a one-time discount of up to $100.With this discount and hand, you will be able to afford to purchase a tablet of your choice inexpensively. Some of the carriers that offer discounted tablet include:
- Maxsip Telecom
- Easy Wireless
- AirTalk Wireless
- Qlink Wireless
- Cintex Wireless
- NewPhone Wireless
- StandUp Wireless
- Go Technology
Steps To Get A Free Hotspot Device Under a Government Program
As we have mentioned, one can only get free government hotspot data via ACP facility. However, you need to ensure that you meet your carrier’s ACP requirements. Besides this, you need to ensure that you live in a state where your preferred carrier offers ACP facility. Once you meet these requirements, you can now go ahead and apply for a free government hotspot device from your service provider of choice.
When applying for this device, you should visit the official website of your preferred carrier and then key in your ZIP code, state or territory on the blank space that you will see next to the ‘Apply Now’ button.
Once you key in these details, tap on the ‘Apply Now’ button and then you will be redirected to a page where you will see an online application form. Fill in this form and then attach copies of your eligibility requirements and then submit your application form.
After that, wait for your carrier’s team to review your application and give you much-needed feedback. If you meet the service provider’s requirements, you will be able to get a free government hotspot device, among other incredible offers.
Step 1: Qualify To Get A Free Hotspot Device Under Government Program
For you to obtain the free government hotspot device, there are certain requirements that you must meet. To put this into perspective, you must meet the ACP eligibility requirements of your service provider. Here is a breakdown of the eligibility requirements that can make you qualify for this device:
1. Ensure that you have a low income
If you want to get a free government hotspot device via ACP facility, you need to ensure that your income stands at or is below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. Since different states have different Federal Poverty Guidelines, there is a need for you to check what your country’s FPG state and then determine if you meet the much-needed threshold or not.
2. Be a participant of a government assistance program
Besides having a low income as discussed above, you can now qualify for a free government hotspot device if at all you are a beneficiary of a government assistance program. Some of the programs that can make you eligible for this device include:
- Supplemental Security Income(SSI)
- Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefits
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program(SNAP)
- You received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year
- You benefited from the free and reduced-price school lunch program or school breakfast program.
In case you reside on Tribal lands and enjoy any of the following programs, be certain that you will be eligible to get a free government hotspot device:
- Tribal Head Start (Only those households or individuals who meet the income qualifying standard will be eligible)
- Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
Step 2: Submit Documents To Get A Free Hotspot Device Under Government Program
When applying for the free government hotspot device, there are certain documents that you should provide so as to prove your identity and eligibility status. In this case, you should submit copies of your personal documents as well as those of your eligibility documents.
As far as personal documents are concerned, there is a need for you to submit an official document that contains your name in full, your date of birth and your place of residence. Here are some of the documents that contain these vital details:
- A copy of your passport
- A copy of your birth certificate
- A copy of your Green card or permanent resident card
- A copy of your U.S driver’s license
- A copy of your valid government-issued state, military or Tribal ID
- A copy of your certificate of U.S citizenship or naturalization
To prove your place of residence, consider submitting copies of the following documents:
- A copy of your utility bill
- A copy of your mortgage or lease statement
- A copy of your W-2 or tax return. More importantly, you should only submit the recent copies of these documents)
Apart from the identity documents that we have outline above, consider providing copies of your eligibility documents so that your application can see the light of day. Here, you should submit a copy that shows that you earn a low income or are a participant of a government assistance program. To prove that your income stands at or is below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines, consider submitting any of the following documents:
- A copy of your divorce decree
- A copy of your paycheck stub
- A copy of your divorce decree
- A copy of your Veterans administration statement of benefits
- A copy of your child support
- A copy of your Federal or Tribal notice letter of participation in General Assistance
- A copy of your current income statement from your employer.
In case you are a participant in a government assistance program such as Medicaid, SSI, WIC, Section 8 or SNAP, consider submitting any of the following documents during the application process:
- A copy of your benefit award letter
- A copy of your statement of benefits
- A copy of your benefit verification letter
- A copy of your approval letter
Final Step: Full Process To Getting A Free Hotspot Device Under Government Program
If you want to get a free government hotspot device, here is the process that can help you get started:
- To start with, ensure that you meet the eligibility requirements of the ACP facility. Thankfully, you can visit the National Verifier and then determine if you meet the ACP eligibility requirements from that end. If you meet these requirements, proceed to the next step.
- Select an ACP provider that operates in your state. The good news is that you will not miss a carrier that operates in your states and offers the ACP facility to all its eligible customers. More importantly, ensure that you check the various ACP deals offered by various carriers and then choose the one that offers the best deals.
- After choosing your preferred ACP provider, visit its official website and then enter your ZIP code. Thereafter, click on the ‘Apply Now’ or ‘Get Started’ button that you will see on your screen.
- Once you click any of the above-mentioned buttons, you will be redirected to a page where you will see an online application form
- For optimal results, ensure that you enter your personal details and then attach copies of your personal and eligibility documents to the application form.
- Check and ensure that everything is correct and then tap on the ‘Submit’ button.
- After submitting your application form, wait for your service provider’s team to review your application form.
- The carrier may take a few days to review your application and respond to you. In case you met the much-needed eligibility requirements, you will be able to get a free government hotspot device, among other incredible offers.
Benefits Of A Free Government Hotspot Device
There are many benefits that you can reap once you obtain a free government hotspot device. Some of these benefits include:
- It allows you to work online.
- The device allows you to do business online
- With the free government hotspot device in place, you will be able to remain connected with hose whom you love.
- It allows you to look for better job opportunities online.
- The hotspot device allows you to access emergency healthcare services
- Since it allows you to connect other devices to the internet, be certain that your monthly cell phone bill will reduce drastically. This is because you will not have to buy mobile data for each and every device that you opt to connect to the internet.
- The free government hotspot device allows you to get entertained. After all, it allows you to stream videos, play mobile games and watch online content using other devices such as your laptop, tablet, desktop computer and other smartphones.
You Can Use A Government Provided Free Smartphone As A Hotspot Device
By now, you know that a smartphone can double up as a hotspot device and thus keep you and loved ones connected to the internet. If you want to use your smartphone as a hotspot device, follow these steps and you will be good to go:
- Go to the ‘Settings’ icon on your device
- Click on the ‘Mobile Hotspot & Tethering’ option
- Tap on the ‘Mobile hotspot’ feature and then switch it on.
- Here, you will have to chance to set your Wi-Fi network’s name and password.
- Key in these details and then tap on the ‘Save’ button.
- Once you set up the mobile hotspot feature on your device, you can now switch on the Wi-Fi feature on any wireless device that you want to connect to the internet.
- After switching on the Wi-Fi feature, choose the Wi-Fi network that you had just set up a while ago.
- Key in the same password that you used during the setup process and then click on the ‘Connect’ button.
For optimal results, ensure that your connected devices and your free government hotspot device are in close proximity with each other. By doing so, you will be able to enjoy a good internet connection. After setting up your mobile hotspot, you will be able to connect devices such as your computer, laptop or tablet to the internet seamlessly.
Frequently Ask Questions
Why Did I Fail To Qualify For A Free Government Hotspot Device?
Although it is the wish of every applicant to get a free government hotspot device, there are some who fail to qualify for this device. If you belong to the latter category, here are the reasons that can make you suffer that fate:
- You did not submit a proof of identity
- You entered the wrong details during the application process
- You are not 18 years and above
- You do not live in the United States
- You failed to submit a copy of an official document that shows that you are a beneficiary of a government assistance program such as WIC, SNAP, Medicaid, SSI, among others.
- You did not submit a document that shows where you live or proof of residence
- You do not live in any of the states where your carrier of choice offers its ACP services.
- You are not a beneficiary of the free and reduced school breakfast program or school lunch program.
- You did not receive a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year
- Your income is above 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines
Will I Use A Free Government Hotspot Device Free Of Charge?
Yes. After all, a free government hotspot device comes with free data that one can use on a monthly basis. Therefore, you will not have to part with a dime for you to remain connected. However, you should not exceed the set data cap as you might end up paying more for extra data used.
How Long Should A 100GB Of Hotspot Data Last?
Well, 100GB of hotspot data should last for a period of 30 days or thereabout. However, this will depend on how you utilize it. For instance, if you connect several devices to your free government hotspot device and still use these devices to play online mobile games, download huge files from the internet and so on, be certain that your data might get depleted even before the month is over. Therefore, you should check your data usage from time to time so that you can know whether to scale up or down depending on your internet needs.