As the economy is on the rise, so do poverty. Since the cost of living is gradually soaring, a lot of low-income families are unable to afford some essentials like cell phones. As a result, the American federal government introduced a program known as Lifeline assistance to give free cell phones along with affordable service plans to eligible users.
Therefore, it’s true that the US Government still gives out free cell phones. Note that the government won’t do this directly but through free government cellphone companies. However, not everyone qualifies to enjoy this favor. That means, there is a number of eligibility criteria to get free government cell phones.
Are you unable to connect to family or friends due to the high cost of cell phones? This guide is here to address your issue.
Obviously, not every US citizen qualifies for free phones from the government. There are a number of ways used to determine Lifeline eligible consumers. These are;
- Eligibility through income: To qualify for Lifeline services, the rule states that you should have a low income that is equal to or less than 135% of the federal poverty guideline. Therefore, you are required to show proof of income when applying for Lifeline membership. You can also qualify if you have no job/ business or no income at all.
- Eligibility through federal assistance program participation: Alternatively, you qualify to get free government phones if you or any of your household is an active beneficiary of any of the following government federal programs:
- Federal public housing assistance.
- Assistance for needy families.
- Food Distribution Program on Indian reservations
- Head Start.
- Veteran’s pension and survivors benefit programs.
- Supplemental security income
- Supplemental nutrition assistance program
- Eligibility through household: This is where you qualify based on the limitation of one member per household. Therefore, you get a free government phone through Lifeline on the condition that there is no other household member in possession of a free lifeline phone.
Applying Guideline For Lifeline Assistance Program
1. Determine eligibility
The first step before applying for Lifeline service is finding out whether you qualify. This is through looking out at the eligibility criteria mentioned above. Do you qualify? Go ahead and apply.
2. Send an application
There are three ways to send an application to Lifeline.
- You can apply online from provider website.
- Print an application, fill manually, attach proof of qualification, and email it to lifeline physical address.
- Visit lifeline physical offices and apply in person.
Among the three, select your preferred method, fill the form, attach required documents to prove eligibility, and submit the application. Some of eligibility proof documents are:
- Government-issued ID.
- Notice letter of federal aid program participation.
- Notice of unemployment/
- Payroll statement
- Veteran administration
3. Wait for approval
After submitting your application, Lifeline will analyze it to determine whether you qualify. Once eligible, you will get approval results. Note that approval might be instant or not.
4. Enroll in a service provider
Once qualified for Lifeline, you can now select your preferred cellular service provider and enroll in their Lifeline program. Here, ensure that your selected provider has network coverage in your state of residence.
5. Get a free phone
The company will prove your eligibility, approve your request and give you a free cell phone with complimentary plans.
7 Best Lifeline Providers That Offer Free Cell Phone Services In 2023
As mentioned earlier, the federal government doesn’t aid out free phones directly to eligible consumers. Instead, the following companies distribute these phones on behalf of the government.
1. Assurance Wireless
Assurance Wireless is one of the most reliable Lifeline service providers with broad signal coverage across several states of America. The company offers free phones, free 350 minutes, unlimited texts, and 500 data monthly in states like California. It also operates in states like Indiana, Minnesota, Lowa, Ohio, South Carolina, Texas, and Wisconsin among others.
2. Access Wireless
This is another cellular service provider that helps people get connected through Lifeline. Access Wireless provides free non-contract phones, 250 call minutes, and unlimited texting. It has coverage in several states among them Texas, Nevada, New York, Ohio, South Carolina, Kansas, Minnesota, Michigan, and Utah.
3. SafeLink Wireless
With SafeLink, you can get free phone and data, free texts, call minutes, that vary from one state to another. Operating under Tracfone network service, SafeLink phone services also feature caller ID, 3-way calling, 411 call assistance, and Voicemail. Its services are available in Kansa, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Texas, Utah, West Virginia, Nevada, New York, and New Jersey among others.
4. Q Link Wireless
Qlink is another reliable Lifeline service provider that provides several brands of phones for free to eligible consumers. Besides, it offers free call minutes, unlimited texting, and data. It offers services in Texas, Nevada, Puerto Rico, New York, Maryland, Arizona, and Arkansan among others.
5. enTouch Wireless
Get a high brand of phones from Entouch Wireless for free along with unlimited minutes, texts, and 6 GB of data. It has services in Hawaii, Ohio, Texas, Dakota, Lowa, Idaho, and Kentucky among others.
6. Life Wireless
We bring another reliable government assistance wireless service provider that offers free phone services to low-income consumers. From Life Wireless, you get to enjoy free unlimited text services, free nationwide call service, caller ID, 911 free dial, and three-way calling services. It has services in Georgia, Maine, Arizona, Kansas, and Colorado among many.
7. Cintex Wireless
Ranked as one of the best Lifeline service provider national wide, Cintex Wireless allows eligible consumers to enjoy free smartphones, unlimited talk, unlimited text, and unlimited data at zero cost. It has network coverage in Rhode Island, Maryland, Maine, Arkansas, West Virginia, etc.
Which Lifeline Companies Is Best For Me
Assurance Wireless, Access Wireless, SafeLink Wireless, Q Link Wireless, enTouch Wireless, Life Wireless, and Cintex Wireless are all Lifeline companies that offer free or low-cost phone and data plans to eligible low-income individuals.
Each of these companies has its own unique features and coverage areas, so it’s important to compare them based on your individual needs.
Here are some factors to consider when comparing Lifeline companies:
- Coverage: Check to see which companies offer coverage in your area. You can typically find coverage maps on the company’s website.
- Phone options: Some companies may offer a wider selection of phones or even smartphones, while others may only offer basic phones.
- Data and minutes: Look at how much data and how many minutes each company offers. Some companies may offer more data, while others may offer more minutes.
- Additional benefits: Some Lifeline companies may offer additional benefits, such as free international calling or a rewards program.
Based on the above factors, you can decide which Lifeline company best fits you. It’s important to note that eligibility requirements and plan options may vary by state and change over time, so it’s always a good idea to check with each company to ensure you qualify for their services.
List of Other Best Lifeline Providers
- U.S Cellular
- SafetyNet Wireless
- Easy Wireless
- Assist Wireless
- True Wireless
- American assistance
- Tag Mobile
- Tempo communications
- Infiniti mobile
- FeelSafe wireless
FAQs – Frequently Ask Questions
What kind of phones can I get from Lifeline?
There are a plethora of phones that you can get from Lifeline either for free or at a cheaper discounted price. Although it’s not easy to find lucrative phones like iPhone 12 pro or phone SE, you can be sure to get phones like LG, Motorola, Huawei, Alcatel Dawn, and Samsung.
Does Verizon offer free government phones?
No. although it participates in the Lifeline program, Verizon does not offer free government phones. Instead, it has special lifeline discounts on phone services of at least $9.25 per month. This makes cell phone services cheaper and affordable to lifeline eligible citizens.
Does AT&T offer free government phones?
No. same to Verizon, AT&T does not offer free government phones. However, it has cheap Lifeline phone services for needy American citizens. More often, they provide $5.25 discount per month on phone services and $25 discount on tribal residents. This helps to save phone service costs on eligible users.
Free government cell phone companies have flooded the market. Some of these companies provide free phones and plans while others offer discounted plans only. Either way, these companies have managed to make phone services affordable to financially strained American citizens. Search for free government cell phone companies near you, select the most convenient and enjoy free government phone services.