Apart from allowing you to enjoy its budget-friendly cell phone plans, Cricket Wireless now allows you to share your mobile data via mobile hotspot feature. Here, your phone will double up as a mobile hotspot device. This will allow you to connect other devices such as your tablet, desktop computer or extra smartphone to the internet seamlessly. Consequently, you will not have to purchase extra mobile data to connect these devices to the internet. In this article, we shall discuss how you can get started with Cricket Wireless hotspot setup process, the various benefits of using setting up a cricket wireless hotspot, and so much more.
How Does Cricket Wireless Hotspot Work
To start with, if you want to enjoy the mobile hotspot feature, you need to ensure that you have subscribed to a cell phone plan that comes with this feature. A good example is the Cricket Core plan that goes for $55 per month.
If you have subscribed to such a plan, you will only need to switch on the mobile hotspot feature on your Cricket Wireless device and then share your internet with other devices. More importantly, ensure that you create a mobile hotspot name and password on your Cricket device and then switch on the other device’s Wi-Fi feature.
Once this feature is on, the other connected device will be quick to notice any available Wi-Fi network that is close to it. Choose the network that you created on the Cricket Wireless device and then key in your password. Once you are done, you will be able to connect other devices to the internet. If you have many devices, ensure that you repeat this process and these devices will be able to access the internet right away.
Benefits Of Using Cricket Wireless Hotspot
Once you set up a Cricket Wireless hotspot, the following are the benefits that you are likely to enjoy:
- It allows you to work online
- It allows you to remain connected with those whom you love.
- You will be able to learn online
- It allows you to access emergency healthcare services
- You will be able to seek better job opportunities online.
- You will not have to purchase extra mobile data for each and every device that you want to connect to the internet. This is because these devices can be connected to the internet via one single hotspot device. Consequently, this allows you to save more data significantly.
- Since you have connected other devices to a reliable Wi-Fi network, be certain that the data present in those device will not be compromised at all. This is because connecting any device to a public Wi-Fi network always leaves your data vulnerable to hacking and other malicious activities.
- With the Cricket Wireless hotspot device at hand, you can connect any device you want to the internet worry-free. These includes smartphones, tablets, laptops, desktop computer and so forth.
- It allows you to access internet from nearly any location you please. However, your location must have a good Cricket Wireless network coverage.
Guide to SetUp A Cricket Wireless Hotspot On Your Phone
The process of setup a Cricket Wireless hotspot on your phone is generally easy and straightforward. However, the process might differ depending on the Cricket Wireless device that you have at hand. For instance, if you have an Android device, here are the steps that you should follow in order to get started:
- Go to the ‘Settings’ icon on your phone and then tap on the ‘Wireless & networks’ option.
- Click on the ‘Tethering & portable hotspot’ option
- Tap on the ‘Portable Wi-Fi hotspot’ option and then create your Wi-Fi hotspot right away.
- When creating this network, you need to name your hotspot and then create a password for it.
- Thereafter, click on the save button.
- For this feature to remain on, you have to ensure that you have switched on the mobile hotspot feature on as well your mobile data.
If you have a Cricket Wireless iPhone device, consider following these steps and you will be good to go:
- Get your iPhone device ready.
- Go to the ‘Settings’ icon and then click on the ‘General’ and then ‘Cellular’ option.
- Thereafter, you will be instructed to contact Cricket Wireless customer service so that they can enable your iPhone to work as a mobile hotspot device.
- If you have enabled the hotspot feature already, all you need to do is to tap on the ‘Home’ icon on your phone and then tap on the ‘Personal hotspot’ option.
- Here, you will be able to customize the name of your personal hotspot as well as the password. When creating a password for your Cricket Wireless hotspot, ensure that it is unique and hard to guess.
In case you have a windows phone, follow these steps and you will be able to setup a Cricket Wireless hotspot seamlessly:
- Get your Windows phone ready
- Go to the ‘Settings’ icon on your phone
- Tap on the ‘Internet sharing’ option. Let this feature remain on
- Thereafter, navigate to the ‘Setup’ button and then create the name for your mobile hotspot as well as its password.
- Once you are done, tap on the save button.
- Ensure that the mobile hotspot feature remains on as well as your mobile data so that other devices can access internet services.
Considerations To Make When Setting Up A Cricket Wireless Hotspot
When setting up a Cricket Wireless hotspot, there are some considerations that you should make. To start with, you must have a Cricket compatible phone/device. Some of the models that are eligible or can allow you to enjoy Cricket Wireless hotspot feature include:
- Apple iPhone 7
- Apple iPhone 8
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus
- Apple iPhone 6
- Apple iPhone 6s
- Apple iPhone 12
- Apple iPhone 13 Pro Max
- Apple iPhone 14 Plus
- Apple iPhone 14
- Cricket Vision Plus
- Cricket Icon 4
- Cricket Ovation
- Cricket Wave
- LG Harmony 3
- LG Risio 3
- Motorola Moto G Play
- Motorola g6 Forge
- Nokia C5 Endi
- Nokia 3.1 C
- Samsung Galaxy A6
- Samsung Galaxy A12
- Samsung Galaxy S8
- Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
- Samsung Galaxy A14 5G
- Samsung Galaxy A 23 5G
- ZTE Fanfare 3
- ZTE Blade X2 Max
To learn more about these devices, visit “cricketwireless.com/support/mobile-wifi/hotspot-eligible-phones.html”. Apart from having an eligible device, you must ensure that you have subscribed to any of the following Cricket Wireless cell phone plans:
- Cricket Core Plan that goes for $55 per month.
- An eligible grandfathered plan + Mobile hotspot feature added to the plan.
- Cricket More plan that goes for $60 per month
Any Data Implications After Setting Up Cricket Wireless Hotspot
Yes. Once you connect various devices to your Cricket Wireless hotspot device, be certain that they will rely on the mobile hotspot data that has been allocated to your plan. Therefore, the more devices that you have connected to the Cricket Wireless hotspot, the higher the likelihood of consuming more data.
Also, if you are engaging in data intensive activities on any of the connected devices, trust that data consumption will increase tenfold. If you are not careful, you might end up depleting your mobile hotspot data unawares. This is the reason why you need to utilize the Cricket Wi-Fi manager app so that you can save more on your data usage.
You can also purchase some add-on data at the beginning of your cell phone plan cycle. After all, data usually expires at the end of the plan’s billing cycle. Purchasing add-on data in between might make you not get the value of your money as it might not get fully utilized. Remember that you will not get a refund for any data that was unused during the billing cycle.
Reason for Experiencing Problems When Setting Up Cricket Wireless Hotspot
When setting up your Cricket Wireless hotspot, you might experience a number of problems, thereby hindering you from connecting other devices to the internet. Some of the reasons why you might experience this problem include:
- You are in an area that has a poor Cricket Wireless network coverage
- Cricket Wireless is doing some maintenance within your locality
- You have connected many devices to your Cricket Wireless hotspot device
- Your Cricket Wireless device has bugs
- You have switched on the Airplane mode on your Cricket Wireless hotspot device
- You have not inserted the Cricket Wireless SIM card well
- Your Cricket Wireless hotspot device is damaged
- You have not yet upgraded your Cricket Wireless hotspot device’s firmware
- The distance between your Cricket Wireless hotspot device and other devices is beyond 10 meters.
- There exists barriers hindering network reception in your home or office.
- There are background apps running on your Cricket Wireless hotspot device.
- The other connected devices might have bugs.
- Ensure that you have not exhausted your mobile hotspot data plan.
Still Experiencing Cricket Wireless Hotspot Issues – Try the Following Options
Since you know some of the reasons why you might be experiencing issues setting up your Cricket Wireless hotspot, time is ripe for you to know the various solutions that can help you fix this issue once and for good. Some of the solutions that you should consider include:
- Restart your Cricket Wireless hotspot device. You can also restart the other devices as well. By undertaking this action, you will be able to eliminate any bugs that might be interfering with the internet connection of these devices.
- Switch off the Airplane mode on your Cricket Wireless hotspot device.
- Check whether your area has a good Cricket Wireless network coverage. To check whether your locality enjoys this carrier’s network coverage, visit “cricketwireless.com/map”.html and then key in your address or ZIP code on the field that you will see on your screen. Thereafter, click on the search button and then zoom in. In case your area is not covered by this carrier’s network, consider relocating to an area that enjoys Cricket Wireless network.
- Ensure that your Cricket Wireless hotspot device is not damaged. In case it has issues, consider taking the model to a technician so that it can be repaired.
- Ensure that you have inserted the SIM card correctly. You can even remove the SIM card and then insert it again. Thereafter, switch on your device and see if the connection issues will persist.
- Try and reduce the number of devices that you have connected to the Cricket Wireless hotspot device. The smaller the number of devices that you have connected to the hotspot device, the better the connection.
- Reduce the number of data-intensive activities being undertaken on the connected devices. For instance, if someone is downloading HD movies, and another one is playing online mobile games, chances are that data consumption will skyrocket. Consequently, you might experience issues when your Cricket Wireless hotspot device is in use. To be on the safe side, you should limit such activities or reduce the number of devices engaging in such activities.
- Close any background apps that might be running on your Cricket Wireless hotspot device.
- Ensure that the connected devices and the Cricket Wireless hotspot device are in close proximity with one another. Ideally, the distance between these two devices should be 10 meters or less.
- Remove barriers that might be interfering with network reception in your house. If possible, try to place the Cricket Wireless hotspot device on a higher spot so that it can have a better network reception.
- Keep an eye on your mobile hotspot data plan. This is because you might end up exhausting this data unawares. To avoid this problem, consider checking your data usage at any moment either online here or by using My Cricket app on your phone so that you can know whether to upscale or downscale its usage. If possible consider purchasing some add-on data at the beginning of the month if at all you are a heavy data user.
- In case you have utilized your device for many years, and it still experiences connection issues anytime you switch on the mobile hotspot feature, consider investing in a better model. However, you can try to hard reset it first and establish if the problem will still persist.
- If all these ideas fail to solve the connection issue, consider contacting Cricket Wireless customer support team. To reach this carrier’s customer service team, feel free to dial 1-800-CRICKET (274-2538). Better still, visit “cricketwireless.com/contactus” and then address your issue from that end. Either way, you will get the guidance and insights that you need so that you can solve this problem.
Tips To Make My Cricket Wireless Hotspot Work Better
The following are some of the vital tips that can help improve the functionality of your Cricket Wireless hotspot device:
- If you have been using your Cricket Wireless device for quite some time without restarting it, consider restarting it and then establish the connection again.
- Ensure that you live in an area that enjoys this carrier’s network coverage.
- Try to upgrade your Cricket Wireless device firmware.
- Ensure that your Cricket Wireless device is not damaged. If it is damaged, let it be repaired by a professional technician. In case it is badly damaged, consider looking for a replacement model.
- Reduce the number of devices that you have connected to your Cricket Wireless hotspot devices.In addition, try to limit the number of data intensive activities taking places on any of the connected devices.
- Reduce the proximity between the Cricket Wireless device and the connected devices.
- Try to manage data consumption on your device. With My Cricket app, you will be able to manage your data accordingly.
- Ensure that you have inserted the Cricket Wireless SIM card correctly.
- In case you key in the wrong Cricket Wireless APN settings, re-key them and then restart your device.