Cell phone holders for cars are not only extremely practical gadgets but also noticeably contribute to safety. Sure, we all know that use of phones while driving is illegal and extremely dangerous, yet most phones these days come with GPS features, which means that they are used as GPS navigation devices by countless individuals.
As such, it is important to ensure their proper positioning. The last thing you want to do is to hold your phone while you are driving or have it placed on a dashboard where it is not properly fixed. This is where a proper mobile phone holder for car plays a major role. Whether we talk about a magnetic phone holder or any other kind, it must be properly designed to stay in place and accommodate your smartphone.
This article will help you learn all you need to know about cell phone holders for cars. We will start off by providing you with an essential buyer’s guide that will enable you to choose a proper phone stand for a car for yourself, your family, and friends. That way you will all stay safe and get the best user experience from your phone’s navigation option and other hands-free features that may be used mid-driving.
We will also take a look at 10 latest cell phone holders for cars, which will enable you to save time and simply choose one of those that best suits your needs.
Are you ready to dig in? Let’s do this.
What to Consider Before Buying Cell Phone Holders for Car
This section is basically a buyer’s guide for cell phone holders for cars. We did our best to be as brief as possible. Make sure to go through each of the points and get the understanding needed to buy a mobile phone holder for car that will serve you properly.
This is perhaps the most important aspect to consider when buying a cell phone car mount. Do you want your phone stand for car to be able to accommodate various smartphone models? Do you want it to be able to rotate freely or Do you want it to offer various angles? Where in your car do you want to place it? Do you want your mobile phone holder for car to also serve as a charger? Answers these questions and you will have a much easier job of selecting the best mobile phone holder for car.
NOTE: If you are not able to answer these questions yet, do not worry. Continue reading to obtain more information regarding the cell phone holders for cars. This will make things clearer.
Many cell phone holders for cars are universal from both points of view – the car’s and the phone’s. However, there are also many cell phone holders for cars that are more suitable for a specific line of cars and also for specific brands or even models of phones. Thus, it is important to keep the compatibility aspect in mind. Make sure to know which car and which phone will be using the cell phone car mount. If those pieces of information aren’t available to you or you want to be able to use it in various cars and various phones, then you want to go with as universal phone stand for car as possible.
To be honest, most people care about the esthetics of their car interior quite a lot. And it is important that you feel good in your vehicle. As such, the design of a mobile phone holder for car can also play an important role. Here the kind or type of cell phone car mount will already determine your options. However, there are still aspects that you have control over; mainly color.
There are countless cell phone holders for cars available on the market and the quality of materials varies noticeably. Some cheap options will start to change colors and lose original mobility or functionality in less than a year, while the high-quality ones will last for many years. The sunlight and the heat (if applicable) play a major role in affecting the holder. Of course, if you will be too rough on it and apply great forces on it, it will also cause minor defects that will accumulate into the malfunction.
The cell phone holders for cars are designed to hold your phone in place. This is their main purpose. Thus, they must offer a good grip on both ends – the car’s dashboard or windshield and the phone’s. If the grip is not proper on either end, the phone or the entire phone stand for car will fly around the car and cause damage and potentially get you into a dangerous situation (trying to catch a mobile phone holder for car or your smartphone mid-driving is extremely distracting and can be a cause for an accident).
Some cell phone holders for cars offer some additional security features. They either have enhanced fixture abilities to ensure that the entire thing stays in place or they also have locks that protect your phone from being snatched. Those are rare and most users focus on the ones regarding secure positioning.
Most of us prefer maximum simplicity. There are many rather complicated cell phone holders for cars that require a trained professional to install them; this is mainly the case with those that are also chargers. However, there are also cell phone holders for cars that can be installed in second by anyone. Most people go with simplicity. But keep in mind that simpler models tend to offer slightly less stability as they are rarely permanently fixed (thus, there is always a possibility of a cell phone car mount being caught lose).
Protection from Scratches
There are two aspects to this point; you don’t want your phone stand for car to get scratched and you definitely don’t want your mobile phone holder for car to scratch your smartphone. As such, a proper cell phone car mount must be scratch-resistant and also without sharp edges that could scratch your phone.
The weight of cell phone holders for cars varies noticeably from model to model, from type to type. The bulkier your phone, the bulkier should the phone stand for car be to be able to hold your smartphone in place. However, the heavier the cell phone car mount the more force is needed to hold it in place. Thus, the use of materials that offer a perfect combination between lightweight and sturdiness are these days very common and the best way to go.
Like with most things in life, the more you pay, the more you get. More durable and sturdier cell phone holders for cars will normally cost more. Moreover, it often turns out to save you money in the long run if you buy one durable cell phone car mount that will last for 6 years compared to the price of 6 cheaper cell phone holders for cars that would each last a year.
However, oftentimes, very affordable models perform surprisingly well. As such, it is important to aim for the quality that suits your needs and your budget.
If the seller or manufacturer is confident in the quality of their cell phone holders for cars, they will offer some sort of warranty. Some offer a 1-year warranty but many dare to take this one step further and offer a life-time warranty (though, keep in mind that small print always applies).
That said, make sure your new cell phone car mount comes with some sort of warranty.
If you are buying online, where you can’t get a closer look at the product, feel it, or test it, you should always take a look at the reviews. We advise you to not go for products that have a rating below 4.3 or fewer reviews than 20.
What Types Of Cell Phone Holders For Cars Are Currently Available
Over the last 20 years, or so as the cell phones evolved massively so did the car phone holders. With the phones almost completely replacing GPS devices, the need for cell phone holders for cars even increased. Today we are at a point where there are many types of cell phone holders for cars, with new ones coming on to the market every week or month.
We did our extensive research to present you with the most popular and common cell phone holders for cars. We have focused on the types of their fixture on to the car. Have a look at the list below. All of these types of cell phone holders for cars have various types of heads that are used to attach the phone onto the mount. There are many cell phone holders for cars that are some sort of hybrids between the following types.
Air Vent Mounted Phone Holders
An average car vent phone holder is very simple. It uses a special design that enables it to be placed into the A/C vents. It offers maximum simplicity and leaves no marks on the dashboard. Its head is typically magnetic (a metal plate must be placed within the phone’s case) or clip-like.
Since car vents are not all the same, it is important to check the compatibility. Cars with curved vents may not be suitable for this kind of cell phone holders for cars.
Windshield-Mounted Phone Holders
These are some of the most classical alternatives. They have a suction cup that is attached to the windshield. Since the windshield is relatively big, they give you quite a lot of options when it comes to positioning. They are also a great option for users that want to move their phone holders from one car to another as they are very easily moved.
It is important to point out here that cheap windshield-mounted phone holders are to be avoided as they tend to not stick to the windshield well. Also, the suction power tends to be affected by temperature; that applies even for the most expensive models.
Dashboard-Mounted Phone Holders
The dashboard-mounted phone holders are the most professional ones. They often require trained experts to install them and normally offer to charge as well. Aside from relatively complicated installation, these types of cell phone holders for cars also can’t be easily moved around the car nor used in other cars. They also tend to leave marks on the dashboard.
Their main advantage is that they are very firm and normally highly durable.
Cup Holder-Mounted Phone Holders
As the name suggests, there are cell phone holders for cars that are designed to fit your car’s cup holder. They have a base that is at least partly adjustable so it can fit various cup holders, from the base there is normally a flexible wire neck with a phone attachment on top. They tend to be relatively firm and sturdy. Their main disadvantage is that they don’t provide you with much flexibility (you must install it in the cup holder) and they take up your cup holder.
10 Latest and Best Cell Phone Holders For Cars 2023
This is the section that many of you’ve been waiting for. Herein you will learn about 10 latest and best cell phone holders for cars. This will enable you to simply choose the one that best suits your needs and make the process of getting the right cell phone car mount super easy.
We did our best to include various types of cell phone holders for cars so that everyone should be able to find their favorite.
1. Penom Magnetic Phone Car Mount
The Penom Magnetic Phone Car Mount is extremely reliable and super easy to use. You will need to install the thin metal plate for a cell phone or a case to allow it to stick to the magnet. The Penom Magnetic Phone Car Mount is very strong and truly universal as it can hold phones of various sizes. It also offers a torsional rotation of 360 degrees.
Compatibility: The Penom Magnetic Phone Car Mount is compatible with a wide range of cars and phones. As long as you don’t have some extra curved and super small A/C vents, you should be able to use this car vent phone holder.
- Includes two magnetic plates and protective films à may be used on with two phones
- Universal compatibility, even suitable for small tablets
- Mounting position doesn’t obstruct vision
- 360° rotation
- Type: Magnetic vent phone holder
- Color: Black (mount); black/silver (metal plate)
- Tested for loads of up to 6.6lbs
- Weight: 80g
- Size: 2.8 x 2.5 x 2 inches
- 360° rotation
- 4 strong magnets to hold your phone in place
- Highly universal
- Simple installation
- May not fit all vents
- Requires a metal plate to be used on your phone.
2. Bosynoy Cell Phone Holder for Car
The Bosynoy Cell Phone Holder for Cars is a relatively unique option. The device adheres to the dashboard you use a little sticky pad on the base, which can be washed and reused if you want to switch your holder for different cars. It has a clam-shell design, which folds down when not in use near the flat so it will not violate your field of vision.
Compatible with: The Bosynoy Cell Phone Holder for Cars is suitable for almost any car. It can be placed on any dashboard that is relatively flat (requires 7.5 x 5.5 inches of a flat area). As far as the phones go, it can hold in place all devices between 3 – 6.8 inches, making it suitable for the largest of smartphones.
- Fully closes when not in use
- Highly universal
- Strong and firm
- Relatively easy to install
- Very unique design
- Type: Dashboard cell phone car mount w/t unique clam-shell system
- Color: Black
- Tested for forces of 20lbs
- Weight: 8 ounces
- Size: 7 x 5 x 0.79 inches
- Hold your phone firmly in place
- Highly universal – suitable for most cars and most phones
- No alternations to the phone or phone case required
- It is washable and reusable
- Anti-slip features
- Must be stuck to the dashboard
- Enables only landscape position of your phone
- High temperatures can have a negative effect on its adhesive power
3. Arteck Universal Mobile Phone Car Holder
This dashboard/windshield-mounted mobile phone holder for car is very universal and practical. Its top feature is that it can be used on windshield and dashboards, giving users a lot of options and suitable for every car on the market. The suction cup has a special sticky gel pad that is fully washable.
Compatible with: Compatible with all cars (can be positioned on the windshield or dashboard). Suitable for all phones that are 2.16 – 3.54 inches wide, which includes most phones on the market, including Larges iPhone 11 Pro Max.
- Suitable for devices between 2.16 and 3.54 inches wide
- Sticky gel on suction cup fixes securely
- Can be washed and remounted in another vehicle
- Premium quality rubber reinforced with extra strong durable plastic
- Type: Dashboard/windshield cell phone car mount w/t clam system
- Color: Black or Red
- Tested for forces of 12.6lbs
- Weight: 4.2 ounces
- Size: 5.51 x 3.23 x 2.6 inches
- Extremely universal
- No air-gap thanks to the sticky gel layer on the suction
- Washable suction cup
- High-quality material
- Various angles available
- Super affordable
- Suction power can be affected by the extreme temperatures (both high and low)
4. WizGear Universal Magnetic Car Mount Holder
The WizGear Universal Magnetic Car Mount Holder is extremely powerful and easy to use. It offers wide compatibility and comes with a twist-lock feature to ensure it stays in place. It is made from high-quality and durable materials.
Compatible with: Almost any car (may not be suitable for cars with supper small A/C vent grills or extra curved ones). Suitable for all phones.
- Includes three metal plates and protective shields
- Fits any cell phone
- Sturdy twist-lock fixture
- High-quality rubber construction base
- Fully adjustable and rotatable
- Type: Car air vent phone holder with the magnetic head
- Color: Black
- Weight: 3.98 ounces
- Size: 7.87 x 5.91 x 1.97 inches
- Very simple installation
- Can be moved from car to car fast and easy
- Sturdy and strong
- Requires you to use a metal plate with your phone
- Compatibility depends on the car’s vent grills
5. Baseus Air Vent Compatible Car Phone Mount
The Baseus Air Vent Compatible Car Phone Mount is an advanced car vent phone holder that features wireless charging and automated clamping and releasing functions. It is simple to use and looks very stylish and luxurious.
Compatible with: The Baseus Air Vent Compatible Car Phone Mount fits most car vents as long as the vent grill is not too small or too curved. Suitable for larger phones (sizes 4.7 – 6.5 inches).
- Auto clamping when phone touches bottom gravity sensor
- Easily releases your phone with one-touch – touch sensing automatically loosens the grip
- Suitable for all Qi-enabled phones (Wireless charging)
- Silica gel grip
- 360° rotation
- Simple to use and install
- Doesn’t block your view while driving
- Type: Car air vent phone holder with clamp system
- Color: Black with silver borders
- Weight: 5.6 ounces
- Size: 7.1 x 4.2 x 2.3 inches
- Wireless charging
- Firm grip
- Auto clamping and releasing – single hand manipulation
- Stylish and luxurious
- Relatively universal
- Relatively costly compared to some other car vent phone holders
- Limited with car vent grills
- Not suitable for phones larger than 6.5” (diagonal).
6. APPS2Car Magnetic Phone Car Mount
The APPS2Car Magnetic Phone Car Mount is suitable for any car. It offers industry-grade suction cups that can be stuck to windshields or dashboards providing users with extreme flexibility. It can hold any phone and is fully adjustable thanks to its 360° rotational head and telescopic arm.
- 360-degree rotation
- Strong, secure magnets
- Super Solid Suction Cup
- Comes with two metal plates
- Telescopic arm (4.6 – 6.29 inches)
- Looks stylish
- Type: Windshield/dashboard magnetic phone holder
- Color: Black with a red line on the magnet surface
- Weight: 8 ounces
- Size: 4.53 x 2.76 x 2.36 inches
- Highly adjustable – rotational head and telescopic arm
- Highly universal – can be stuck to windshields or dashboards
- Reputable manufacturer
- High-quality materials
- Magnetic head requires the use of a magnetic plate on your phone
- Pricier than some other models
- Not everyone likes the telescopic lever design
7. Gturtle Universal Magnetic Dashboard Phone Holder
The Gturtle Universal Magnetic Dashboard Phone Holder is a very small and cute phone holder that takes up a very small area of your dashboard. It is fully adjustable. However, due to its small size, it requires some thinking before sticking it to the dashboard (account for all possible phone’s positions; best to place it near the edge).
Compatible with: The Gturtle Universal Magnetic Dashboard Phone Holder is suitable for all cars and all phones.
- Mounts on dashboard
- Strong magnets
- Easy to use
- Type: Dashboard magnetic phone holder
- Color: Metallic golden
- Weight: 2.92 ounces
- Size: 4.96 x 3.15 x 3.07 inches
- Small and cute
- Easy installation
- Extremely universal
- Requires sticking it to the dashboard
- Not as secure in large forces due to its smaller magnetic area
- Could be cheaper regarding its size
- High temperatures can have a negative effect on the 3M adhesive
8. IKOPO Magnetic Phone Holder
The IKOPO Magnetic Phone Holder is another dashboard adhesive magnetic phone holder that offers maximal universal use. It packs a very strong magnet and holds your phone in place. It offers easy installation and comes in a highly universal black color.
Compatible with: IKOPO Magnetic Phone Holder is suitable for all cars and all phones.
- Extra strong magnets
- Sticks to dashboard using 3M adhesive pads
- Type: Dashboard magnetic phone holder
- Color: Silver (aluminum) or Black
- Weight: 2.5 ounces
- Size: 1.7 x 1 x 1 inches
- Thanks to its small size, it can be installed basically on any part of the dashboard
- Completely universal – suitable for all cars and all phones
- More expensive than most car vent phone holder with the magnetic head
- Requires the use of a metal plate with your phone/case
9. Unitechi Magnetic Phone Car Mount
The Unitechi Magnetic Phone Car Mount offers maximal simplicity. It is an inexpensive magnetic phone holder that offers a great value-money ratio. It is highly universal, stable, and durable and it uses six reinforced magnets that hold even the largest smartphones in place.
Compatible with: The Unitechi Magnetic Phone Car Mount is extremely universal and can be used with most car vent grills. It is also suitable for basically any phone you can think of.
- Simple to use
- Stable, durable design
- Six reinforced powerful magnets
- Universal black color
- Type: Car vent phone holder/magnetic phone holder
- Material: rubber and plastic ABS+PC and metal
- Color: Black
- Weight: 1.37 ounces
- Size: 1.85 diameter and 1.37 inches of height
- Very universal
- Practical and small
- Requires the use of a magnetic place with your phones
- Limited by the car’s vent grill compatibility
10. TOPGO Cup Holder Phone Mount
The TOPGO Cup Holder Phone Mount is an extremely sturdy and very adjustable mobile phone holder for car. It is a cup holder cell phone car mount, which means that it does not require and reliance on suction cups or adhesive foils, which is what many users like. It has a gooseneck that enables maximum adjustability to fit your angle.
Compatible with: Since cup holders are made according to standards, this cell phone car mount fits most cars (it only makes sense if a cup holder is positioned in the mid-section – properly for the driver). The clam head is suitable for phones that are 2.01′ – 3.54′ wide, which cover just about all smartphones on the market.
- Adjustable gooseneck design with 360° rotational head
- Compatible with smartphones between 2.01 and 3.54 inches wide
- Fits all cup holders
- Very sturdy and powerful
- Innovative design
- Type: Car cup holder phone mount w/t clamp head
- Color: Black
- Weight: 9 ounces
- Adjustable base: 2.4 – 4” base diameter (fits most cup holders)
- Size: 6.69 x 3.07 x 4.49 inches; Up to 8 inch long neck
- Very universal
- Very sturdy
- Durable material
- Flexible gooseneck and 360° rotation
- Keeps your windshield and dashboard clear
- Since it is standing in a cup holder has no chance to fall down
- More expensive than some other cell phone holders for cars
- Requires driver to slightly look down as it is not at the top of the dashboard
- It enables the use of a cup holder to hold your drink
What Are The Benefits Of A Cell Phone Car Mount
The benefits of cell phone holders for cars are rather obvious; this helpful mount can make a difference between life and death as they help drivers to use phones for navigation and retain the full vision of the road.
They are also suitable for hands-free use of voice control and other advanced features.
The main perfuse of all cell phone holders for cars is to help drivers keep both of his hands on the steering wheel and keep him and all around him safe while enabling the use of smartphones’ features that make life and driving more practical.
Mobile Phone Holder for Car Mounting Positions
As we looked at the 4 main types of cell phone holders for cars, we can see that you have an extremely wide range of positioning options. The most positioning freedom is provided by cell phone holders for cars that can be stuck to windshields or dashboards. You can place those practically anywhere you like ( keep in mind that you must limit yourself only to those areas of the windshield that are not vital ).
If you go with a car vent phone holder, your positions are limited to A/C vent, yet you can still choose between the one in the middle or the one on the driver’s side.
The least positioning options are offered by the cup holder car phone holders, which also tend to position your phone slightly below the dashboard, which may cause your eyes to leave the road (especially if your peripheral vision is not great). On the plus side, they will keep your vision non-distracted and your dashboard and windshield clear.