The digital scramble has hit every sector in this era; academic being one of them. Unlike in the past, today, computers have become crucial necessities in every competitive career. Despite medicine not being technical, it is one of the most challenging and demanding courses. That’s why every medical students need laptops before stepping into med school.
That begs the question which is the best laptops to choose for medical students? We all know that there are several models and generations of laptops and picking one from this pool can be overwhelming. If you are headed to med school and picking a machine is proving a toll order, we got you covered. Here, we explain in details everything you need to pick a good laptop for your course.
Why Medical Students Need Laptops ?
Yes, medicine isn’t computer science nor a technical course. But a laptop remains a key requirement for successful course completion. Below are some of the critical tasks that a medical student will accomplish with a laptop;
- Creating and filling data spreadsheets
- Research and analysis of statistical data
- Storing excess materials and course books
- Attending virtual lectures
- Preparing and presenting healthy reports
- Simulating medical experiments
Without the right laptop, all these activities will be hard to perform. So, you have to make sure that you pick the right machine for the work. However, not all Medical colleges demand their students to have laptops. Some allow the use of tablets for light tasks and provide desktops for intense work or examinations. The incorporation of VR in medical learning is revolutionizing the entire spectrum. Using Stanford University as a case study; VR is helping students learn anatomy in a more practical approach. If your college has VR classes, you may need to have a more powerful machine with an advanced GPU.
8 Best Performance Laptops Review Especially For Medical Students
1. Apple MacBook Air (13-inch Retina Display, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD Storage)
If you are looking for an Apple MacBook that will help you carry out your research as a medical student, the model mentioned above is the best option for you. To start with, it comes with a 13-inch retina display that allows you to see everything clearly. Since it has a large screen interface, you can be sure that you will not struggle to view images and so forth. In fact, this stunning screen display comes with True Tone technology. Here are other features that make this model great:
- It comes with a backlit magic keyboard that allows you to operate this laptop even at night. Besides this, it comes with a touch ID that helps you prove your identity as the user. In fact, these features make it more unique compared to other models.
- The model features one of the fastest SSD Apple has ever produced. Therefore, you will not waste time waiting for your laptop to boot. Within seconds, your laptop will be up and running.
- The laptop comes with a lightweight design that makes it more portable.
- It boasts of having 8GB RAM, which makes it fast when it comes to browsing the internet.
- The model has a 256GB SSD storage that allows you to store several files in the laptop.
- The laptop comes with a pair of stereo speakers that boasts of having a wider stereo sound. Therefore, you will enjoy listening to music during your free time.
- The laptop comes with a stunning 13.3-inch retina display
- It has a backlit magic keyboard
- The model boasts of having a Touch ID feature
- The laptop has stereo speakers
- It comes with a large RAM
- Some users said the fan gets loud whenever one is making Zoom calls.
2. ASUS ZenBook 14 Ultra-Slim Laptop
Just like its name suggests, the laptop mentioned above comes with a 14-inch wide-view screen display. With this screen, you will have a large interface to view images, read notes, watch videos and so on. Apart from this, the laptop comes with a reliable battery that can last up to 14 hours. This makes the laptop ideal for long hours of doing assignments and studying while in college. Here are other features that make this model incredible:
- It comes with a 512 GB internal memory that allows you to store a number of files such as documents, videos and even your favorite photos.
- The model boasts of having a 16GB RAM. With this kind of RAM, you can be sure that the laptop will no hang whenever it is in use. Besides having a large RAM, the model runs on Windows 10 Home.
- The laptop comes with an exclusive ergo lift design for a better typing position. In fact, the keyboard of this laptop is very easy and comfortable to type on. Besides this, it comes with an enhanced audio performance that makes it easy for you to listen to medical podcasts without necessarily having to rely on headphones.
- It comes with a touch screen feature that enables you to navigate the system seamlessly.
- Unlike other laptops, it comes with a built-in IR camera that helps with facial recognition whenever you want to sign in.
- It boasts of having an exclusive dual-function touchpad. With this feature, you will be able to switch from a regular touchpad to a numeric keypad with utmost precision.
- The model comes with a large screen interface
- It has a durable battery
- The laptop has a large internal memory
- The model comes with an exclusive ergo lift design
- This laptop boasts of having an exclusive dual-function feature
- Some users complained about trackpad issues
3. Acer Aspire 5 Slim Laptop
This laptop comes with a fingerprint reader and runs on Windows 10 Home. Besides this, it is powered by an 8th generation Intel Core i5-8265u processor and an 8GB RAM. These features make this computer fast when it comes to internet browsing. Here are other features that will make you like this laptop:
- The model comes with a 15.6 inches full HD widescreen display that is large enough for you to watch medical videos and so forth.
- It comes with a lightweight design that makes it more portable than other models.
- When it comes to audio performance, this model does not disappoint as it provides the much-needed deep bass through its innovative speaker design.
- Its backlit keyboard allows you to work comfortably even when you are in a place that has a low light intensity.
- It comes with a long-lasting battery as it allows you to use the laptop for about 9 hours and above without having to charge it every now and then.
- The laptop comes with a fingerprint reader
- It has a large RAM
- The model comes with a lightweight design
- This model has an excellent audio performance
- It has a backlit keyboard
- The laptop has a long-lasting battery
- Sometimes, the fan of this laptop makes a lot of noise
4. Lenovo IdeaPad 3 14″ Laptop
Since this laptop is normally powered by AMD Ryzen 5 3500U mobile processors with Radeon Graphics, it can deliver a powerful performance for every task you undertake. Besides this, the laptop comes with a lightweight design that makes it easy for you to carry it from one location to another. Here are other features that make this laptop an excellent choice for you:
- Its Dopound audio feature enables you to enjoy clear sound whenever you watch medical podcasts and other related videos. In fact, you do not need to use headphones for you to enjoy a high-quality sound.
- The model comes with a 14-inch screen that is large enough for you to watch medical-related videos and even play games. With this screen, everything will be crystal clear.
- It comes with a Bluetooth 4.1 feature that allows you to connect it to other audio devices and get more entertained.
- The model comes with 3 USB ports and an HDMI port that allows you to connect it with more than one device using either a USB cable or an HDMI cable, respectively.
- With the physical shutter for your webcam, you can be sure that this model will enable you to have some peace of mind. This is because you will be able to optimize your privacy, thanks to this feature.
- The laptop is very portable
- It has a large screen display
- The model comes with a Bluetooth feature
- It has an excellent audio performance
- It has a physical shutter for your webcam
- The laptop looks more stylish
- Sometimes, the fan can get loud when the laptop is in use.
5. ASUS VivoBook 15 Thin and Light Laptop
Just like its name suggests, this model comes in a thin and lightweight design. These characteristics make it more portable and ideal for medical students who are always on transit. Besides being portable, it is powered by an 8GB RAM that makes it ideal for multitasking. In fact, this computer will hardly hang whenever it is in use. Here are other features that make this model superb:
- The model comes with a 15.6 inch full HD screen that is large enough for you to watch medical videos, podcasts and so on. With this large screen interface, you will be able to see everything vividly.
- The laptop comes with a sleek design that makes it look more stylish and modern.
- It is compatible with Google Classroom. With this feature, you will be able to run Google classroom on either Internet Explorer 11 or Microsoft Edge.
- The model comes with an ergonomic backlit keypad that is relatively easy to use.
- It comes with a fingerprint sensor which is activated via Windows Hello.
- The laptop comes with 3 USB ports and an HDMI port
- When it comes to audio delivery, this model does not disappoint, thanks to the ASUS SonicMaster feature
- The laptop comes with a high-quality lithium battery that keeps you going for longer
- The model comes in a lightweight design
- It has a large screen display
- The model comes with a sleek design
- It is compatible with Google Classroom
- This laptop comes with a high-quality lithium battery
- It has an n ergonomic backlit keypad
- The laptop gets hot whenever it is charging.
6. Lenovo Chromebook C330 2-in-1 Convertible Laptop
Unlike other models, the laptop mentioned above comes in a sleek and stylish design. In fact, this model is a convertible laptop that allows you to use it like a tablet. The good news it has a touchscreen display, and therefore you do not have to rely on the keyboard to type anything on the screen. Besides this, it comes with a thin and lightweight design that makes it is more portable. Here are other features that make this laptop a top-choice for many medical students:
- The laptop can boot up in a matter of seconds, thereby guaranteeing high performance whenever you need it.
- The model is very easy to use and is therefore ideal for beginners
- It comes with a built-in virus protection feature and has a long-lasting battery
- The model comes with several USB ports that ensure that you connect all your devices effortlessly.
- It features Bluetooth 4.2, which enables you to connect the laptop to other audio devices wirelessly.
- The model comes with 4GB RAM that makes it fast whenever you are browsing, among other activities.
- Unlike other models, this one is very affordable, yet it has high-end features.
- This model comes with a sleek and stylish design
- It has a touchscreen display
- The laptop is lightweight in nature
- It is very easy to use
- The model comes with a built-in virus protection feature
- This laptop is more affordable than its peers
- Some users could not download apps from Google Play Store using this model
7. SAMSUNG XE310XBA-K02US Chromebook
If you are looking for a laptop that comes with a compact and lightweight design, you can never go wrong with this model. Besides being lightweight and compact, it comes with a long-lasting battery. In fact, its battery can last up to 12.5 hours. Here are features that make this model awesome:
- The model comes with an 11.6-inch display which is large enough to watch medical podcasts and other related videos.
- Unlike other models, this one is Google Assistant-enabled. Besides the Google Assistant feature, you will have access to the world of Google. From Google Drive to Google Play Store, there are many Google products that you can access when using this model.
- When it comes to connectivity, this model does not disappoint as it allows you to stream videos and download files fast. This ultra-fast connectivity feature makes it better than other models.
- As far as virus protection is concerned, this model tops the list as it has a built-in virus protection guard. With this feature, your computer will be free from malware and other harmful software.
- The laptop is very portable
- It is Google Assistant-enabled
- The model comes with a long-lasting battery
- It boasts of having an ultra-fast connectivity feature
- The model comes with a built-in virus protection guard.
- Some users complained about screen display issues
8. Apple MacBook Pro (13-inch, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD Storage) – Space Gray
To start with, this model comes with a spectacular design that makes it look more appealing. In fact, this model looks more stylish and professional at the same time. Besides this, the model is very portable and thus is ideal for medical students who have to move from lecture halls to their hostels and vice versa. Apart from these features, here are the other features that make this model great:
- The model comes with a brilliant 13-inch Retina display that allows you to view all your images clearly
- Its backlit magic keyboard allows you to use the laptop even at night.
- Unlike other models, the one comes with a touch ID and touch bar feature
- Its 8th generation quad-core Intel Core i5 processor enables you to undertake various tasks fast.
- The model has 3 USB ports that allow you to connect this model to a number of devices at a go.
- With its 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD, you can be sure that this model will deliver the best performance
- The model comes with a spectacular design
- It is very portable
- It has a backlit magic keyboard
- The laptop features a brilliant 13-inch Retina display
- It boasts of having a large RAM and internal storage space.
- It features a touch ID and touch bar feature.
- The model has a poor cooling system
Features to Look at Before Buying Laptops for Medical Students
The school may dictate the minimum features of a laptop you need for your coursework. However, you should consider getting a more powerful laptop that will serve you for the entire med school period. With several competing brands and models in the market, this is not a walk in the park. To help you make the best choice, we’ve compiled a list of the specific features to focus on. After all, not everything is important when looking for a quality machine. Only certain features determine how powerful a laptop is.
Therefore, to get the best laptops for your medical school use, consider the following factors;
The processor is like your laptop’s engine. It determines the efficiency of your laptop when performing certain tasks. It’s one component that has seen great advancement over time. So, the newer the processor, the better it is.
You need to consider the fact that medical school isn’t all about storing files and notes. Occasionally, you may need to run complex programs during research and or analysis. Thus, your laptop should guarantee high performance for such times. Any laptop with a processor from Intel Core i5 is a good fit. But if you can get higher generations the better.
A laptop with excellent battery life is recommended for reliability purposes. Some tasks are too demanding and you may not even have time to recharge. A laptop with a powerful battery will serve you for hours without reconnecting it to a charger. That gives peace of mind because you’ll be able to research away from the sockets.
A stable battery juice also ensures that you don’t lose your data in case of power instability.
This should be among the first features to look at. Most laptops operate on Mac or Windows operating systems. Unless specified, always get a machine with an operating system that you are familiar with. Otherwise, you will have to learn a new platform that may not be on your to-do list.
The size of your device affects two key things; weight and portability. As a student, you need a portable device so that you can carry it from one lecture hall to another without weighing you down. A big sized laptop will definitely be heavyweight thus not portable.
Although, you should be cautious of the features you need. Don’t forego critical functionality features to get a compact laptop. Try and combine all in your purchase.
Your device RAM plays an important role in its performance. High memory ensures that your machine can run several programs simultaneously. It is also essential for a smooth flow of work. You don’t need a device that will take minutes to load a program. Efficiency is of the essence in all medical experiments and engagement. Get a laptop with at least 6GB of memory. This will give you enough space to multitask and undertake all medical assignments.
Storage is of great importance. You have a lot of content to store ranging from course notes, research statistics and reports. For reference purposes, your gadget should have a big storage capacity to store all these for the entire period. Whether HDD or SDD, a 500GB capacity laptops is good for medical students.
Moreover, you won’t only be using this storage space for academic work only. Your entertainment contents such as movies and music will also need a chunk of the space.
A device with additional accessories and features is a plus. These give you a good value for your money, therefore, if you are to choose between a laptop with and without accessories, the former is the best choice. Additional features such as a video camera, build-in microphone and speakers are very common. They give you the freedom to enjoy services not available on other devices.
This is not a major consideration unless you’ll be using VR or would want to game with your laptop. So, as a medical student, a graphics card shouldn’t give you a major headache. Although, that doesn’t mean you get a machine with poor graphics. Thankfully, most of the available graphics cards are okay for medical use.
You need to balance quality and cost. High price tags do not necessarily mean the machine is quality. Assess every device keenly taking into account its features and cost. There are several low budget laptops that you can get and are excellent for medical students. Since you are already spending a lot of tuition, get a gadget that guarantees you the value of your money. If possible, be sure the machine will serve you for the duration of the course. Otherwise, you will be wasting your money and resources that are already stretched.
Is iPad or Laptops Better for Medical Students?
Laptops are the best-suited gadgets for medical students. Well, some people think that the two devices have similar functionalities but no. to start with, laptops are more powerful than iPads in all aspects. So, their performance is always above the iPads’.
Additionally, it is very hard to access medical records when using an iPad. Most of the programs in this field are designed for use on bigger screens. So, retrieving them on a small screen is hectic and time-consuming.
To get a good laptop for your med school use, you need to explore the market extensively. This way, you will get a device that won’t disappoint you. Fortunately, most schools have the minimum features for the required laptops spelt out. In such a case, use those features to determine your gadget. Unless there are budget constraints, try and get a laptop that is above the least features set.