In order to bridge the digital divide, the Federal government is now offering low-income Americans programs that can help them remain connected with their loved one. Some of the programs offered by the Federal government include Lifeline, Affordable Connectivity Program, Lifeline+ ACP combo program, among others. With these programs in place, you will be able to get a free government phone and discounted cell phone plans. This will go a long way in lowering your overall cost of being connected. With the free government phone at hand, be certain that you will be able to keep in touch with those whom you love, work online, learn online, access emergency healthcare services and so on. Since most Americans would like to know what is the best free government phone program to apply for, we shall take a closer look at that, the qualifying guidelines, documents needed during the application process, and so much more!
Best Free Government Phone Programs in 2023
Some of the best free government phone programs include:
1. Lifeline Free Government Phone Programs
To start with, this program is designed to make communication services more affordable to those Americans who earn a low income. Once you qualify for this program, you stand the chance to get monthly discounts of up to $9.25 on your cell phone bill. If you live on Tribal lands, you might enjoy discounts of up to $34.25.Besides these discounts, this program allows you to get a free government phone. Also, you can enjoy other incredible offers such as:
- Unlimited talk(This might vary from one service provider to another)
- Unlimited text
- Free mobile data(This varies from one state to another)
- Caller ID
- Voicemail services
All you need to do is to ensure that your income stands at or is below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines or be a participant of a government assistance program such as Medicaid, SNAP, SSI, Tribal Head Start, Tribal TANF, among others.
2. ACP (Affordable Connectivity Program) Free Government Phone Program
Besides the Lifeline program, you can now lower your communication expenses by applying for the Affordable Connectivity Program. Unlike the Lifeline program, this one is quite recent and allows you to save up to $30 per month if you live on non-Tribal lands. However, if you live on Tribal lands, you can save up to $75 per month. In addition, you stand the chance to get a basic phone if you apply via certain carriers such as AirTalk Wireless, Cintex Wireless, among others.
3. (Lifeline+ACP) Combo Free Government Phone Program
Currently, there are carriers that offer both Lifeline and ACP as a combo plan. In fact, this plan offers value as it combines the benefits of both programs. Here, you will not only get a free smartphone but also be able to enjoy other impressive features such as:
- Unlimited text
- Unlimited talk
- Unlimited mobile data(This might vary from one service provider to another)
- Caller ID
- Voicemail services
Qualifying Guideline for Enroll in the Best Free Government Phone Program
From the discussion above, it is crystal clear that Lifeline + ACP combo program is the best phone free phone program that you should consider. To qualify for this program, you need to ensure that your income stands at or is below 135% or 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. Since different countries have different Federal Poverty Guidelines, you need to establish what your state’s FPG’s state and then determine if you meet the much-needed threshold or not.
Suppose you do not qualify via the low income criteria mentioned above, note that you can now qualify for this program if you are a beneficiary of a government assistance program such as:
- Supplemental Security Income(SSI)
- Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program(SNAP)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance(FPHA)
- Tribal Head Start
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
Documents Required for the Best Free Government Phone Program
As you apply for the Lifeline + ACP combo plan, there is a need for you to submit a number of documents so as to prove your identity and eligibility status. To prove your identity, you need to submit copies of your personal documents such as the following:
- Your valid government-issued, state, military or Tribal ID
- Birth certificate
- U.S driver’s license
- Permanent resident card(unexpired)
- Certificate of U.S citizenship or naturalization
- Green card
- Utility bill
- Mortgage or lease statement
- Tax or W-2 return(Submit a recent document)
When it comes to eligibility documents, you can consider submitting a copy of a document that shows that you earn a low income or are a beneficiary of a government assistance program such as Medicaid, SSI, SNAP, Section 8, Tribal Head Start or Tribal TANF. To prove that you earn a low income, consider submitting any of these documents:
- Child support award
- Divorce decree
- Veterans administration statement of benefits
- Federal or Tribal notice letter of participation in General Assistance
- Paycheck stub
- Current income statement from your employer
Suppose you are a participant of a government assistance program, submit copies of these documents:
- Statement of benefits
- Approval letter
- Benefit verification letter
- Benefit award letter
Application Process for Getting a Free Government Phone From Program
The application process of a free government phone program is not difficult per se. Here are the methods that can help you get started:
1. Online method
If you want to get a free government phone via Lifeline program, consider visiting “nv.fcc.gov/lifeline” and then enter your state or territory’s name. Thereafter, tap on the ‘Get Started’ button.
In case you want to apply for a free government phone via ACP, consider clicking “nv.fcc.gov/lifeline/?id=nv_flow&amp;ebbp=true” and then enter your ZIP code, state or territory’s name. Once you are done, click on the ‘Get Started’ button.
Log in with your details so that you can be redirected to a page where you will start the actual application process. In case you do not have an existing account, consider creating one and then proceed with the application process.
During the application process, you will be prompted to key in your personal details such as your name in full, date of birth, place of residence, SNN, among other details. Key these details correctly and then attach copies of your personal and eligibility documents. Thereafter, submit your application form.
2. Mail method
When using the mail method to apply for a free government phone, consider visiting “lifelinesupport.org/wp-content/uploads/documents/get-lifeline/LI_Application_NVstates.pdf” and then download the Lifeline application form. Thereafter, print it so that you can fill it later.
If you want to apply for the free phone via ACP, consider visiting “affordableconnectivity.gov/wp-content/uploads/ACP-Application-Form-English.pdf” and then download the English version of the ACP form. After that, you can now ahead and print it.
Besides download the ACP form, you need to download the Household Worksheet. To download this document, visit “affordableconnectivity.gov/wp-content/uploads/lifeline/images/ACP-Household-Worksheet-English.pdf”. Thereafter, print the form.
Once you have these forms at hand, fill them correctly and then attach copies of your personal and eligibility documents. Check and confirm that everything is right and then send the package to the ACP or Lifeline Support center for it to be reviewed. As you mail the package, consider using this address; P.O Box 7081, London, KY 40742.
3. Apply via your preferred service provider
Currently, there are many service providers that not only offer Lifeline and ACP facility but also Lifeline + ACP combo plan. Therefore, you need to choose a carrier that operates in your state and then visit its official website. Thereafter, key in your ZIP code and then start your application right away.
When starting your application choose the Lifeline + ACP combo program and apply for it. Here, you will be required to key in your name in full, your date of birth, your SSN, among other finer details.
Thereafter, you will be required to upload copies of your personal and eligibility documents so that you can attach them to the application form. Check whether you have attached the necessary documents and then submit your application for review.
Some Reasons for Disapproved My Free Government Phone Program Application and Their Right Solution
Your application for a free government phone can be rejected due to the following reasons:
- You entered the wrong details on your application form
- You failed to submit copies of your personal and eligibility documents during the application process
- You do not reside in the United States
- You uploaded blur copies of your personal and eligibility documents
- You are not 18 years and above.
- You do not live in the state where your Lifeline or ACP service provider offers its services
- Your income does not stand at or below 135% or 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines
- You are not a beneficiary of a government assistance program such as Medicaid, SNAP, SSI, Section 8, WIC, Tribal Head Start, Tribal TANF, among others.
To maximize the chances of your application’s approval, consider the following ideas:
- Make sure that you reside in the United States
- Ensure that you are 18 years and above
- Ensure that you key in the right details during the application process
- Remember to attach copies of your personal and eligibility documents during the application process.
- Ensure that your income stands at or is below 135% or 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
- If you do not qualify via the low income criteria, ensure that you are a beneficiary of a government assistance program such as Medicaid, Tribal Head Start, SSI, Section 8 or Tribal TANF.
- Ensure that you upload clear soft copies of your personal and eligibility documents.
- When mailing the application document, consider sending it to ACP or Lifeline Support center for it to be reviewed. The address that you should use to mail your document is P.O Box 7081, London, KY 40742.
Best Provider that Offers Free Phone Through free Government Phone Program
If you want to get a free government phone via Lifeline+ACP or Lifeline + ACP combo program, consider applying for it from any of the following carriers:
1. Assurance Wireless
Assurance Wireless is one of the best free government phone service providers that operate in the United States. To apply for a free phone from this carrier, visit “assurancewireless.com” and then get started.
2. Cintex Wireless
Unlike other carriers, this one has a good network coverage across the U.S and allows you to apply for a free government phone. If you want to apply for this carrier’s free government phone, visit “apply.cintexwireless.com” and then key in your ZIP code and email address. Thereafter, tap on the ‘Apply Now’ button and follow the prompts that you will see on your screen.
3. Easy Wireless
If you want to apply for a free government phone from Easy Wireless, visit “myeasywireless.com” and then key in your email and ZIP code on the fields that you will see on your screen. Thereafter, click on the ‘Enroll Now’ so that you can start your application process.
4. enTouch Wireless
To apply for this carrier’s free government phone, visit “entouchwireless.com/lifeline” and then click on the ‘Enroll Now’. Thereafter, you will be able to select your residential state and then kick start your application process.
5. NewPhone Wireless
If you want to get a free government phone from NewPhone Wireless, visit “newphone.com” and then click on the ‘Apply Now’ button, located on top of your screen. Thereafter, key in your ZIP code so that you can start the actual application process.
6. Q Link Wireless
Besides the carriers that we have mentioned above, be certain that you can get a free government phone from Qlink Wireless. To apply for this carrier’s free phone, visit “qlinkwireless.com” and then tap on the ‘Get it now’ button. Thereafter, follow the prompts that you will see on your screen and you will be good to go.
7. Safelink Wireless
To apply for Safelink free government phone, visit “safelinkwireless.com/Enrollment/Safelink/en/Web/www/default/index.html#!/newHome” and then enter your ZIP code. After that, click on the ‘Start’ button so that you can start the application process.
If you have met this carrier’s eligibility requirements, you can now visit “truconnect.com” and then key in your email address and ZIP code. Once you key in these details, tap on the ‘Enroll Now’ button so that you can be redirected the carrier’s online application form.
9. Life Wireless
To apply for this service provider’s free government phone, click “lifewireless.com/enroll” and then key in your email address alongside your ZIP code. Thereafter, click on the ‘Next’ button. Once you are done, you can now start the actual application process.
10. Tag Mobile
Tag Mobile is another eminent service provider that offers free government phones to all eligible customers. To apply for this carrier’s free government phone, visit “tagmobile.com” and then key in your email and ZIP code on the fields that you will see on your screen. After that, click on the ‘Enroll’ button so that you can review your options depending your residential state. Thereafter, start the application process.
Other Provider That Offers Free Government Phone
Besides the carriers that we have mentioned above, be certain that you can get a free government phone from the following service providers:
- Access Wireless
- American Wireless
- Assist Wireless
- Infiniti Mobile
- FeelSafe Wireless
- MobileNation (ClearAssist)
- SafetyNet Wireless
- StandUp Wireless
- TerraCom Wireless
- Tempo Communications
- Total Call Mobile
- Arctic Slope Telephone Association Cooperative(ASTAC)
- True Wireless
List of the Phone that Offers Free Government Phone Programs
Some of the free government phones that you can get from either Lifeline+ACP or Lifeline+ACP combo program include:
- Alcatel A30 Fierce
- Coolpad Avail
- ANS Rapidz
- Blue Studio X8
- Unimax U683CL
- Kyocera Hydro Edge
- ZTE Quest
- Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime
- Motorola E5 Play
- Samsung Galaxy J3
- HTC 626s
- Vortex-Beat 8
- Nuu Mobile-A1
- Maxwest Phablet
- LG Tribute Empire
- CellAllure Miracle-S
- Alcatel MYFLIP
- Coolpad Snap Flip
Alternative Way to Get Free Phone without Government Phone Program
Besides applying for a free government phone from carriers such as Qlink Wireless, Assurance Wireless, Standup Wireless and Safelink Wireless, it is now possible for you get a free or discounted phone via the following ways:
- Look out for a carrier that allows you to get a free phone once you switch to its network. Better still, establish if you can get a carrier that allows you to get a free phone once you add a new line or even trade off an old handset.
- Contact a charity group within your locality and establish if they offer free phones.
- Apply for a free phone from a non-profit organization within your locality.
- Visit your nearest phone retail shop or store and establish if you can get a discounted phone. In most cases, you might get some discount during holidays or at the end of the year. This way, you will be able to purchase your desired device more affordably.
- Consider looking out for a refurbished model. Unlike new phones, refurbished models costs less and still offer the same services new models offer to their users.
- Work as a marketing agent for a company that sells phones. Here, you might be lucky to get a free model and thereby enjoy more convenience.
- Visit online platforms such as the craigslist and establish if you can get a free or discounted model.
- Visit the Facebook Marketplace and determine if you will get a discounted or free model from that end.
- Enter into an online giveaways. Here, you might be lucky to get a free model and thus save more bucks. However, you need to be extra careful not to be scammed.
Things to Consider When Choose the Best Free Government Phone Program
When choosing the best free government phone program, there are many considerations that you ought to make. Some of these considerations include:
- Ensure that your program of choice is available in your state
- Make sure that you meet the eligibility requirements of your desired free government phone program. These include participation in government assistance programs or low income criteria. You should meet either of these eligibility requirements.
- Check the offers of a particular program. The more the offers, the better the program.
- Check and establish if your desired program allows you to save more on your cell phone plans. For instance, if you are able to enjoy free text, talk and mobile data, you will save more on your monthly cell phone bill.
- Does the program allow you to get a decent smartphone? Will the smartphone meet your needs? Does the program allow you to choose between a flip phone or a smartphone? All these considerations will enable you make a good choice when it comes to program selection.
Other Benefits of Free Government Phone Programs
If you qualify for a free government phone program such as Lifeline+ACP or Lifeline+ACP combo program, be certain that you will enjoy these benefits:
- You will enjoy discounted cell phone plans
- You will be able to work online
- With the smartphone at hand, you will be able to learn virtually or online.
- You will be able to seek better job opportunities online
- You will no longer grapple with boredom as you will be able to use the smartphone to play online games, surf the internet, stream online contents, watch movies and so on
- You will be able to remain connected with those whom you love.
- Depending on the carrier you choose, you might enjoy mobile hotspot data. Therefore, you might be able to share your device’s data with other wireless devices such as a tablet, computer, laptop and so on.
- You will enjoy unlimited talk and text
- Depending on the carrier you selected, you might enjoy free mobile data up to a certain threshold.
- You stand the chance to enjoy other incredible offers such as voicemail services, Call waiting, Caller ID, 3-way calling, free shipping among others.
How long does it take to receive a free government phone after applying?
Once you apply for a free government phone, expect it to be mailed to you within a period of 5 to 10 business days.
Can I choose the type of phone I receive?
Not really. This is because free government phones are issued based on their availability and one’s location. However, you can trust that you will get a decent model that will suit your needs.
What if I lose or break my free government phone?
If you lose or break your free government phone, contact your Lifeline or ACP carrier so that you can get a replacement model. However, you might be asked to pay a certain fee to get a replacement model.
Are there any hidden fees or charges with free government phone programs?
Not really. There are no hidden fees or charges that you might incur in case you want to enjoy a free government phone program.
Can I use my free government phone outside of the United States?
Not really. You have to use your device within the United States. In any case, most of the carriers that offer these phones have a good network coverage within the United States only.
What if I already have a phone? Can I still apply for a free government phone program?
Yes. As long as your device is not a free government phone, you can go ahead and apply for a free phone via Lifeline, ACP or Lifeline + ACP combo program.
Can I keep my current phone number when switching to a free government phone provider?
Yes. All you need to do is to contact your preferred free government phone provider and request them to switch your number to their network.
Can I switch my free government phone to a different provider?
Yes. However, you have to contact your current service provider and inform that you want to transfer your service to another carrier. If you meet all necessary requirements, you will be good to go.
How do I cancel my free government phone service?
If you want to cancel your free government phone service, consider contacting your carrier’s customer support and ask them to do it for you.