In this modern times, being connected is very important. However, connection products and services are becoming expensive each passing day. This has made it even harder for low-income citizens who can barely afford basic needs. Fortunately, the government introduced free phone programs to ease their burden.
The Federal Government introduced a program called lifeline that offers free or affordable phones and services to eligible people. The program offers these phones indirectly through a number of participating companies. AT&T wireless is one of the most reliable lifeline companies that make connection services affordable to low-income households. The company offers free or discounted phones and internet services to eligible applicants. In our guide today, we have deep-dived on how to get AT&T wireless free government phones and other related ideas.
Why did You Join AT&T Wireless?
There is a wide selection of lifeline companies available for you. Among the many, why join AT&T wireless? Below are the benefits that make this company outstanding.
1. It offers high data caps
AT&T offers a wide range of cheap and affordable unlimited data plans. These plans come with data caps or data deprioritization. This means, after using a specific amount of high-speed data, it is most likely to reduce in speed especially after congestion. Therefore, unlike most companies, AT&T wireless offers high data cap that makes it to outstanding in the industry. This allows you to stream movies, watch live TV in HD, play online games and download your favorite songs seamlessly
2. Has wide coverage
Regardless of your state of residence, chances of missing out on AT&T network coverage are so low. This is because the company is estimated to have network coverage across 97% of America. Therefore, joining this company helps you to enjoy the best coverage while traveling or resting at home.
3. Offers the best prepaid experience
ATT gives the best prepaid freedom with no credit check to its customers, no annual contracts, and zero activation fee on any order made online. The company has amazing perks and discounts on prepaid plans.
4. Offers amazing phones
ATT has outstanding new and refurbished selections of phones to offer. It offers all brands of phones with variety of styles, shapes and features. All these phones use America’s fastest mobile broadband network GSM Technology. This gives unparalleled global roaming capabilities and the best voice quality experience.
5. Offers top notch security
At AT&T, customer security is their top priority. The company has all-day built-in network security that hinders any customer threats, free security apps to protect customers’ personal data, safe browsing, and identity monitoring on their unlimited plans.
6. Has affordable plans
ATT wireless offers a variety of affordable individual, family, prepaid, and data plans. For instance:
- AT&T unlimited elite plan that offers unlimited texts, talk, high speed data and 5G access for only $50 monthly per line when you get 4 lines.
- AT&T unlimited extra plan that offers unlimited everything (text, talk and data) and 5G access for only $40 per month per line for 4 lines.
- AT&T unlimited starter plan that gives unlimited everything, 5G access, unlimited everything in Mexico and Canada for only $35 per month per line when you get 4 lines.
What is Lifeline with AT&T?
Lifeline with AT&T is a federal government program that helps to lower the monthly cost of internet and phones for limited income applicants. If you qualify, you are privileged to get a minimum discount of $5.25 on your phone bill and a minimum discount of $9.25 on your internet bill. As a qualified applicant from federal tribal land, you are lucky to get a top-up discount of up to $25. However, note that lifeline with AT&T limits one discount per household. That is, you either have to select phone discount or internet discount but not both. Besides, you can’t benefit from lifeline with AT&T if you get discounts from other lifeline providers.
In addition, lifeline with ATT offers cheap and affordable home internet service to eligible households. Here, you have to participate in supplemental security income benefits in the state of California.
What is the Affordable Connectivity Program(ACP) with AT&T?
ACP enrollment opens on December 31, 2021. It offers up to $30 discount per month on wireless services or home internet on non-tribal land residents and $75 discount per month on tribal land residents under the new Federal Government – Affordable Connectivity Program(ACP).
How to Get AT&T Wireless Free Government Phone In 2022?
The process of getting AT&T wireless free government phone is so easy and straightforward. However, the process differs from on state to another. For instance:
- If you live in Texas, you can get your ATT wireless free government phone by calling 866.454.8387, apply through their online fill form texaslifeline.org or mail your application to their physical address.
- If you are from Oregon, you can apply online puc.state.or.us/Pages/rspf/otap.aspx or call Oregon lifeline telephone number for assistance: 855.761.7994.
- In California, get your free phone by calling 800.288.2020 every weekdays 6 AM to 6 PM Pacific Time.
- If you are from South Dakota, lives in pine ridge reservations and a member of pine ridge Oglala Sioux tribe, you can get your ATT free phone through visiting Rushmore Crossing AT&T stores for help. This is located along 1325 Eglin Street, Suite 200, Rapid City, SD 57701
- If you reside outside Texas, California, Oregon, Puerto Rico, South Dakota and US Virgin islands, you can get ATT wireless free government phone by applying online through the national verifier, nationalverifier.servicenowservices.com/lifeline . You can also call 866.512.1105 every weekdays, 8 AM to 8 PM for assistance.
How do I Qualify for AT&T Lifeline Program?
Since AT&T lifeline program offers cheap phone and internet services, it’s prudent to know that not every US citizen qualifies to get these benefits. Therefore, there are a number of qualification requirements to meet. These requirements vary from one state to another. You should thus confirm eligibility from your state before applying for AT&T lifeline program. Below are qualification requirements that are constant in all states.
1. Based on your income
This is where you qualify if you are from a low-income household. Basically, the income limit is 135% of the federal poverty guideline. Note that these guidelines vary from one state to another. Therefore, confirm your state’s federal poverty guideline to know your eligibility state.
2. Based on government assistance programs
This is where you qualify if you or any member of your household participate in any federal assistance program. Some of these programs are supplemental nutrition assistance program, Medicaid, supplemental security income, veteran’s pension and survivors benefit, federal public housing assistance, and tribal programs on recognized tribal lands.
Other Qualification Requirements
To qualify to ATT free government phone, you must:
- Must be a current and active internet customer of ATT at an eligible location.
- Must have subscribers to an eligible plan that has met lifeline program’s minimum service standards.
- Must be willing to recertify your lifeline discount every year else you lose it.
- Must not be receiving lifeline discounts from other lifeline company.
What Documents Need for AT&T Lifeline Program?
When applying for ATT lifeline programs, you need to attach a number of documents to your application form. This is to prove identity and eligibility. When attaching eligibility proof documents, you must provide copies as per your met requirement. For instance:
Documents based on income
- 3 consecutive months pay stubs
- Your last federal, tribal or state tax return
Documents based on government assistance program
- Federal Public housing assistance award letter
- Supplemental security income benefit letter
- Medicaid card or any other government assistance program cover letter.
Documents to prove identity
- State ID card or
- Driving license or
- Birth certificate
Application Process for AT&T Lifeline Program Approval
The application process for AT&T lifeline program depends on your residential state. If you live outside Oregon, Texas, Puerto Rico, South Dakota or Virgin Island, you can apply by:
- Visiting nationalverifier.servicenowservices.com/lifeline
- Select your territory or state
- Click ‘’get started’’
- Fill in your personal information. This includes official name, date of birth, social security number and home address.
- Here, you will get two qualification options to select the one that defines you. Select whether you qualify for lifeline through your child/ dependent or through you.
- Attach eligibility proof and follow proceeding steps to apply for ATT lifeline program online.
What Kind of Phone is AT&T Giving for Free In 2022?
After doing our research, we established that ATT lifeline doesn’t offer free government phones. Instead, it gives lifeline discounts on home phones and internet wireless services. However, if you want free phone from ATT, despair not. This is because the company has other deals that offer free phones to new and existing customers when you trade-in an eligible device. Below are the kind of phones that ATT is currently giving for free.
1. Galaxy S21 5G
This phone boasts of a 12MP back camera with features like Panorama, auto-HDR and LED flash. It also features a 10MP selfie camera, 8 GB RAM and up to 256 GB internal storage. In addition, it is inscribed with a 4000 mAh fast charging battery, fingerprint sensors, and audible stereo speakers.
2. Galaxy Z flip 3 5G
It is one of the latest model of phones in the market that features 8 GB RAM, up to 256 GB internal storage, 10 MP single front camera and 12MP dual rear camera with LED flash, panorama, and HDR features. Besides, the phone has a fast and reverse wireless charging 3300 mAh battery that lasts long with a single charge. Finally, it boasts of special features like audio speakers, proximity, and Compass, fingerprint sensors.
3. IPhone 13 pro
It features a super retina XDR OLED 6 inches screen display with scratch and water-resistant ceramic glass, up to 1 TB internal storage and 6 GB RAM. Additionally, the phone takes super clear pictures thanks to its quad 12MP rear cameras and dual 12 MP front-facing cameras.
4. IPhone 13
Another great phone that features a super retina XDR OLED 6. Inches screen display, dual 12mp main camera and dual 12MP front camera. It also has a lasting 3240 mAh non-removable battery with fast charging and Qi magnetic fast wireless charging technology.
What States does ATT Wireless Provide Free Government Phones?
- North and south Dakota
- West Virginia
- South Carolina
- Wisconsin among others.
Does ATT Provide a Free EBB Tablet?
No. AT&T wireless is an EBB and Affordable Connectivity Program(ACP) participating company that helps eligible consumers to stay connected with a lesser monthly bill on broadband services. However, the company doesn’t offer free EBB tablets, Eligible Affordable Connectivity Program can qualify for a one-time $100 discount for a tablet, laptop, or desktop computer from participating providers.
Does ATT Provide Food Stamp Internet?
Yes. ATT, though a program known as access from AT&T is now providing low-cost internet services to qualifying households. However, at least one member of your household must participate in the US supplemental nutrition assistance program (SNAP) which was formerly known as Food Stamp. To benefit from the AT&T food stamp internet program, you must provide a copy of the Food Stamp or SNAP card.