MetroPCS is an American wireless service provider, which is also known as metro by T-Mobile. It offers customers services like data, home internet plans, text, and talk services countrywide. To enjoy all these services, you must have a compatible phone and activate it with the Metro SIM card. However, what happens if you replace your old phone with a new MetroPCS phone? Is it possible to activate a new phone with your former, older SIM card?
After getting your new MetroPCS phone, you must activate the old SIM card to keep the old number. This answers your question that activating your new phone with an old Metro SIM card is possible.
In this tutorial, we will give you a detailed procedure on how to activate your new Metro phone with an old SIM card. However, before diving into the activation process, lets us look at the factors you must consider before you activate the new phone. Kindly join us as we give you the breakdown.
Factors To Consider Before Activating A New MetroPCS Phone
The main reason you are reading this article is that you want to activate your new MetroPCS phone with an old SIM card. However, before you activate your new Metro phone, there are specific factors you must consider for the process to be successful. To know the factors, ask yourself the following questions;
- Metro subscription : You must be an active subscriber of Metro services before you activate your new phone with your old SIM card. This is because the phone activation is typically done on an existing account.
- MetroPCS network coverage in your area : You will likely get into trouble if you try activating your phone in an area where Metro network coverage is unavailable. So, to avoid such disappointments, kindly open your browser and search “metrobyt-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map” and confirm if the services are available. This is crucial if you migrated to another state and are unaware of Metro’s network coverage.
- Phone compatible with MetroPCS : Are you planning to bring your own phone to Metro? You must confirm its compatibility with the Metro network if you plan to activate it with an old SIM card. You can check the phone’s compatibility by opening your favorite browser and searching “metrobyt-mobile.com/resources/bring-your-own-phone”. Enter the phone’s IMEI number, and Metro will immediately tell you the compatibility status of your new phone. You can dial *#06# to get your phone’s IMEI code if you cannot trace it.
Those are three mandatory questions that you must ask yourself before considering activating your new Metro phone with an old SIM card. Before we discuss the process of activating your MetroPCS your new MetroPCS phone with an old SIM card, let’s find out the requirements in the next section.
Meet The Requirements Before You Activate New MetroPCS Phone With Old SIM Card
Do you have a new MetroPCS phone and want to know whether you can activate it with an old SIM card? Rejoice because here is your answer. MetroPCS allows all its customer to activate their new phones with old SIM cards. However, you must meet specific requirements for the process to succeed. Here are the mandatory requirements you must meet;
- You must be an active MetroPCS customer because you can only activate your phone if you have an active Metro account.
- Your old SIM card should be active and in good working condition before you activate your new MetroPCS phone. There are several SIM card sizes, so ensure that your SIM card fits into your new phone’s s SIM slot.
- If the SIM card is damaged, kindly purchase one from MetroPCS’s official website.
- Ensure your new phone is compatible with the Metro network. You can avoid phone compatibility problems by purchasing one from Metro stores. Additionally, you can confirm its compatibility on the Metro website under the Bring Your Own Phone program.
Have you met the above conditions? If yes, kindly follow the procedure below, activate your phone, and start enjoying the MetroPCS services countrywide.
Process For Activate A New MetroPCS Phone With Old SIM Card
Do you have a MetroPCS phone, and are you looking for a step-by-step procedure for doing so? You are at the right place. This section will examine how you can activate your phone for existing and new customers. Let us get started.
Steps For New Customers: Activate new MetroPCS phone with old SIM card steps
Are you a new customer looking to activate your new MetroPCS phone with an old SIM card? Here is the guideline to help you do activate your phone successfully.
- You will need to have your order before you start the process. To get your order number, contact customer service and provide the order number to fast-track your order. You can open your browser and search “metrobyt-mobile.com/order-status” to confirm your order status.
- Visit “metrobyt-mobile.com/resources/activate” to activate the phone yourself without involving customer service. However, you can contact them if you encounter some challenges when activating.
- Locate and click the “Activate your phone” button once the page loads. If you purchased the phone or SIM card from another retailer, kindly follow the on-screen steps.
- Ensure you have the new MetroPCS phone and SIM card. You will need your IMEI number, which you can find at the bottom of your phone’s battery. Alternatively, you can find the IMEI by dialing *#06# and noting it somewhere. If you have the latest phone models, the IMEI can be found in the packaging box that comes with the phone.
- Select a monthly plan from the several that MetroPCS offers its customers.
- After selecting the plan, you must pay to start enjoying the services. The plans come with data, text, and talk services for all customers if your area has MetroPCS network coverage.
- Ensure you have personal details like name, contacts, and email at hand before you start paying.
That is the simple step-by-step procedure you must follow if you are a new customer and activate your MetroPCS phone. Kindly note that you can always contact customer services for support if you run into problems. In the next section, we will examine existing customers’ activation procedures. Let us dive into it.
Steps For Existing Customers: Activate new MetroPCS phone with old SIM card
This is the procedure for activating your new MetroPCS phone if you have already been using its services.
By visiting a physical store
- The most convenient place to activate is a MetroPCS store. You can locate the nearest store by searching the URL “metrobyt-mobile.com/storelocator” on your browser.
- Once the pages load, provide your ZIP code in the search box. The system will analyze the data and give the number and location of the Metro stores in the area.
- Select the nearest store and visit it with your MetroPCS phone and SIM card for an agent to assist you. Kindly remember to carry all the personal details required during the activation process. Once you get there, request a representative to help you activate your phone.
By calling the customer service
You can activate your MetroPCS phone by contacting customer service support at their toll-free number, 1-888-863-8768. After calling, wait for a representative to help you activate your new MetroPCS phone. Ensure you have the phone and SIM card near you before contacting customer service.
What happens to the customers who have activated Metro SIM with another device? If you had previously activated your SIM card with another device, kindly follow these steps to activate your phone.
- Insert your old Metro SIM card into the new MetroPCS phone.
- Turn on your network and try calling someone with the phone. You can also turn on the data, browse, and confirm whether you can access the services. If you do not have data, kindly take advantage of the Metro’s first trial phone activation services.
If you follow the two methods, you should successfully activate your phone. What should I do if my MetroPCS phone fails to activate? In case your phone fails to activate, do not panic. In the next section, we will give the remedy if your phone fails to activate.
Steps For BYOP Customers: Activate New Metro Phone With Old SIM Card
Are you aware of the BYOP program by MetroPCS? Metro allows users to bring their phones as long as it is compatible with the T-Mobile Mobile Network. So, how do you activate your new BYOP Metro phone with an old SIM card? To answer that, there are several factors you must consider if you want to activate it. Here are some of the factors.
- The phone from your previous carrier must be unlocked: It is a requirement by many providers offering the BYOP program that your phone must be unlocked with your previous carrier. So, if the phone is locked and you want to activate it, kindly contact your previous provider and request them to unlock it. Currently, you do not need to walk to their stores; the phone can be unlocked remotely.
- Confirm if the phone is compatible with MetroPCS: Your phone must be compatible with Metro services before you can bring it to them. How do you check if the phone is compatible? It is very simple to confirm if the phone is compatible with Metro by searching the URL “metrobyt-mobile.com/resources/bring-your-own-phone” and providing your IMEI number. To check the IMEI number of your phone, kindly dial *#06#, and it will pop up on your screen.
Once all the above requirements have been met, you can choose one of the discussed activation methods and activate your phone.
Benefits You Enjoy After Activating Your MetroPCS New Phone
Have you successfully activated your new MetroPCS phone? Well, here are some benefits are likely going to want from them;
- If you are eligible for the ACP program, you will get a $30 discount on any plan you select.
- There are regular deals on devices that Metro offers to its customers.
- Metro uses T-Mobile network towers which have nationwide 4G coverage. This is an advantage because you will not have network challenges after subscribing to Metro.
- MetroPCS has one of the country’s most reliable customer care services. So, you are guaranteed fast support if you run into problems with their services.
- Metro plans are pocket friendly, and as mentioned, there are discounts for ACP-eligible customers.
You will get some benefits once you activate your new phone with Metro services using an old SIM. Kindly ensure you follow the above activation process steps correctly. Kindly reach out to the customer service desk if you encounter some problems when activating your new phone.
Frequently Ask Questions
What To Do If You Cannot Activate Your New MetroPCS Phone With An Old SIM Card?
As seen above, the activation process of your new MetroPCS phone with an old SIM is simple. However, after completing the process, you need to confirm whether the phone was successfully activated. Your phone may sometimes fail to activate due to low network coverage or technical problems. If it is a network, you need to look for a place with Metro’s network coverage and repeat the process. However, if it is another technical error, you must contact customer service, and they will assist you accordingly.
How long does the MetroPCS activation process take?
There is no set time that you should wait before your phone activates. If you have followed the activation process keenly, your phone is supposed to activate immediately after finishing the process. If you run into problems and need help with the activation process, kindly contact Metro customer service for technical support.
Do I require to activate a Metro replacement or upgrade the phone?
No, you are not supposed to undergo a phone activation process if upgrading or replacing your phone because it’s given to you while already activated. All you need to do is insert your SIM cad and you will be good to go.
Does MetroPCS require you to pay an activation fee?
You do not pay an activation fee if you activate your smartphone using the Online Activation Tool. The process of activating your metroPCS phone is completely free.
Can I activate my Tablet using the Online Activation Tool?
No. You can only use the Online Activation Tool to activate your smartphone. To activate your tablet, or another device, you must visit a physical Metro by T-Mobile store. Besides, you can call customer service and talk to a representative at 1-888-8metro8. You can open the URL “metrobyt-mobile.com/storelocator” and locate a store near your residence.
I am an existing customer. Can I use the Online Activation Tool to activate a new line?
No. It is impossible to use MetroPCS’ Online Activation tool to activate your new line if you are an existing customer. The tool is limited, requiring all the existing customers to add new lines to their accounts by visiting the Metro physical store. Additionally, you contact customer services at 1-888-9metro8 and talk with a representative for support.